MAP15: Industrial Zone (Doom 2 In Name Only)
|Doom 2 In Name Only maps 12-20|
MAP15: Industrial Zone is the fifteenth map of Doom 2 In Name Only. It was designed by Matt Powell (cannonball) and uses the music track "Slipper" from Memento Mori, created by Mark Klem. The par time defined in MAPINFO is 8:00.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
Blue and yellow keys
Take the shotgun on your right if you need it, then open the door to your left to confront a shotgun guy (or one or two chaingunners on Hurt Me Plenty (HMP) skill level or higher) waiting on a lift. Flip the switch here to go down to ground level and face a Hell knight (or mancubus on Ultra-Violence (UV) and Nightmare (NM)), then go outside to a road and follow this east until you reach a metal wall. Go south-east at this point to a building with hexagonal tiles and head inside to face some shotgun guys (plus mancubi on HMP or higher), then go up the steps on either side to get the blue keycard as well as a super shotgun. Approaching the items will cause zombies, imps, revenants and knights to teleport outside.
Go back outside and head to the building north of the starting point, then climb the steps to see the yellow keycard on a pedestal in front of you. Head west to enter a chamber with a spiderdemon standing on a platform, then follow the walkway round to a rocket launcher before running south to a switch. Flip the switch then drop into the nukage below and run north-east to two teleporter pads; the white pad will send you to the spiderdemon's platform and telefrag it. Flip the switch here to lower one of the two barriers around the yellow key, then drop into the nukage again and use the red teleporter to get back up to the walkway.
Head east from the yellow key this time to a lift and press the button on your right to lower it, then ride the lift up to enter a room with some shotgun guys. On the south side of the room is a pit containing a switch, which is guarded by revenants and demons - flipping the switch will lower the pillar holding the yellow key, but will allow a revenant (or one or two arch-viles on HMP or higher) to teleport to the upper level. Fight them off then go back to the lift and press a second button that has been revealed to go back down to the yellow key; taking it will lower two compartments holding boxes of rockets, which you may need to fight off the cacodemons, imps, revenants and demons that teleport outside.
From the yellow key, go back outside then head west to a triangular nukage pool - the two doors here require the yellow key to open. Open either door to find some imps and a chaingunner protecting a backpack, then flip the switch on the south wall (requiring the blue key) to open another door to your right. Go through to a hall with blood spouts that is protected by imps, knights and revenants, then take the plasma gun between the spouts and use it to kill some demons approaching from the north. Go down the steps to a blood pool then walk east to a metal lift and activate it to go up to the knights' ledge, then pull the skull switch on your left to lower a pair of barriers on the road outside. Doing so will release arachnotrons, demons and revenants on to the road.
Go back outside and follow the road north and east to a bridge with green torches; as you reach the other side, a cyberdemon will rise from the lava fountain ahead, joined by demons, revenants and knights/arachnotrons. Use the BFG9000 at the north end of the bridge to help you get rid of the monsters, then press the button north of the lava fountain to open a panel on the other side of the nearby door that hides a skull switch. Flip the switch to open the door and reveal a mancubus (or arch-vile on HMP or higher), then pass through it to reach a large blood pit overlooked by imps, arachnotrons and more mancubi. Drop into the pit and go through the east doorway to drop into another pit with four large columns, then fight through some arachnotrons, imps and zombies to a triangular opening in the east wall that contains a blue skull button. Press the button to open the south wall and release some revenants (as well as cacodemons hiding behind the north wall), then press a second button behind the south wall to raise a platform in the exit area. Doing this will also lower two teleporters by the south wall, letting you get back to the exit area.
Back on the upper level, go through the west doorway this time but be ready for one or two mancubi that rise from the blood ahead. Go round to the south side of this area, passing more mancubi along with spectres, then head north through a doorway to see a switch that has a supercharge behind it - flipping the switch will raise another platform in the exit area, but will also release various monsters around you including one or two arch-viles to the south, and a cyberdemon to the north on UV and NM. Fight your way out and get back to the exit area, climb up to the south ledge then run north across the two platforms you raised earlier to find a dark tunnel leading to MAP16: Suburbs. Watch out for one or two arch-viles that teleport in as you approach it.
As you pass through the door to the blood pools at the north end of the map, you will see a blocked passage on your right - the first three barriers can be unlocked in secrets #1, #2 and #4, while the fourth barrier can be opened by entering the chamber opposite this passage and pressing a tiny button inside the southern alcove on the west wall. Once all the barriers are open, you can follow the passage to the red keycard along with some other items. Note the red numbers on the floor and the buttons they correspond to, as you will need this information later to open the secret exit.
Go back to the yellow key building and head east from it, going up some steps to a red key door. Go through and climb the staircase on your left to see a button next to a megaarmor, press the button then dispose of some revenants before going back down the steps to see that a metal barricade has lowered. Head east to another staircase and kill some imps that teleport in behind you, then head up the steps and enter the north room at the top to see a switch on the north wall - this will open a door on the staircase revealing one to three revenants. Now go into the south room where a mancubus guards a second switch, which will open another door on the staircase and reveal one to three knights.
With both doors open, continue climbing the stairs until you reach another wall, then look north to see an arch-vile on a metal block; there is another switch behind the block that opens the third door, but you should kill any arachnotrons and mancubi overlooking it first. Now enter the south room and flip the fourth and final switch on the back wall, which will release one to three arch-viles on to the staircase, then climb up to the top level and look in the south-west corner for a gargoyle switch that will open the entrance to the secret exit area.
To reach the secret exit you must press three buttons in the correct order, as indicated by the room where you found the red key - these are the button left of the exit door, then the middle button on the south wall, and finally the left-most button on the north wall. If you get the sequence wrong then all the buttons will close off; if this happens, leave the room and look north to see a teleporter leading to a lava cavern, where you must trigger several skull switches to reveal the way out and open the switch puzzle again. Once the puzzle is correctly solved, go through the exit door and descend some steps to a well that leads to MAP31: Wolfenstein.
Other points of interest
The starting building contains a super shotgun, a rocket launcher and a supercharge.
- As the level starts, turn round and open the big UAC logo behind you to find an armor bonus, a health bonus and a backpack. (sector 72) The switch inside lowers one of four barricades to the red key.
- Flip the switch in the north-west corner of the blue key building, then run up the set of steps on the right side. At the top, quickly face north and shoot a second switch on the wall to open a door nearby, revealing a plasma gun and two energy cells. (sector 460) Note that shooting the switch will also release one of the barricades to the red key as well.
- One step on the staircase north of the starting building is brown rather than silver. Cross this step, then quickly run to the west towards the lowering column to get a supercharge (on UV and NM, otherwise a megasphere). (sector 288)
- Enter the room with the spiderdemon and jump into the nukage. The south face of the north-west column has electricity symbols on it; press on this side to lower armor bonuses and a computer area map. (sector 531) There are two switches at the top of the column if you ride it up. The northern switch will release one of the four barricades leading to the red key.
- In the room east of the yellow key, go to the flesh column closest to the west wall, then look for an electricity symbol on the south wall. Press on it to lower the wall and get a box of rockets and 11 health bonuses. (sector 702)
- In secret #5, the east wall also has an electricity symbol on it. Lower it to reveal a corridor with 30 health bonuses. There is another electricity symbol in the middle alcove, use it to lower the wall at the end of the corridor and obtain a BFG9000. (sector 836)
- In the western-most building, go onto the blue-floored section and follow the columns until you see a candle (this candle will not be present on Hey Not Too Rough (HNTR) or lower). Where the candle is, lower the wall to find a button. There will also be an energy cell pack here as well, but it will also not be present on HNTR or lower. (sector 828)
- The button in secret #7 opens up a door just after the yellow key doors and next to the barricade, but not for long. Quickly head back to this door and flip the switch inside to lower the barricade. This secret has two boxes of rockets, two medikits and an invulnerability, plus a teleporter to the northern end of the road. (sector 1009)
- In the northeastern-most blood room, go to the blue skull button on the east side and press on the metal panel with an electricity symbol on it. You will find two energy cell packs. (sector 490)
- Four barricades bar access to the red key. Three of these barricades can be opened in secrets #1, #2, and #4. The last barricade can be opened by going west from where the barricades are and spotting a hidden button somewhere in the south-west. After opening the barricades, collect the red key, partial invisibility, supercharge and energy cell packs. Also take note of the switches, as well as the numbers on the floor corresponding to three of the switches, if you want to take the secret exit. (sector 615)
- Open the red key door and take the stairs on the right. Find the wooden wall with blood on it and lower it to find a megasphere and an energy cell pack. (sector 645)
- Make your way all the way to the eastern part of the building that requiring the red key, and you will end up in the switch puzzle that leads to the secret exit. If you memorized the pattern from Secret #10, you can press three switches to leave. For reference, press the switch to the left of the door, then the middle switch on the south wall, then the leftmost switch on the north wall. (sector 994)
- Just east of the bridge is a metal platform with a supercharge and a teleporter. The building just south of this platform has an arch-vile in it. Using a well-timed arch-vile jump, you can reach the platform and then use the teleporter to reach the other side of the bridge. Successfully doing so means you will not need to collect the blue or yellow keys.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
|UV speed (normal exit)|
|UV speed (secret exit)|
|NM speed (normal exit)|
|NM speed (secret exit)|
|UV pacifist (normal exit)|
|UV pacifist (secret exit)|
The data was last verified in its entirety on April 3, 2022.
This level contains ten spawn points:
- facing north. (thing 502)
- facing south. (thing 506)
- facing south-west. (thing 795)
- facing south. (thing 808)
- facing north. (thing 866)
- facing north. (thing 867)
- facing north. (thing 868)
- facing north. (thing 871)
- facing north. (thing 872)
- facing north. (thing 878)