MAP15: Industrial Zone (Doom II)
|Doom II maps 12-20|
MAP15: Industrial Zone is the fifteenth map of Doom II. It was designed by John Romero and uses the music track "Running From Evil". The par time is 3:30. This map also has a secret exit switch that grants access to MAP31: Wolfenstein, the first of the two secret maps of Doom II.
At the start of the level, go through the green door to the left and ride the elevator down by flipping the switch inside. Once you reach the bottom, step outside. From here, turn left and flip the switch directly in front of you. This causes the large stone rectangle to lower, revealing a walkway up to a combat armor vest (A) - it is a good idea to pick it up, due to the amount of hitscan monsters in this level. From here, follow the alley between the two buildings to the south, then turn southwest towards the tall dark brown iron building. At the far corner of this building is the start of a spiraling staircase leading to the top. Climb it and get the rocket launcher between the two green torches. Just west of this building is a small raised platform with a white teleport pad on it (B). Face it and run (by pressing shift, by default) towards it and you should land on the platform and go through the teleporter.
You will be taken to a high ledge on the side of a nearby building. Run forward along this ledge but let go of the run key just before you reach the end. You should land on another ledge a bit further below on a third building (C); it is tricky to get from the first to the second ledge, as full-speed running will cause you to overshoot the second ledge, so it may require several tries to perfect. Flip the lion-faced switch in front of you, then drop inside the building. Take the teleporter on the floor, and upon reaching the other side, turn around and re-enter the teleporter you just emerged from. You will arrive on top of some crates in the previous building, with a red keycard easily in reach (D). Drop down between the crates to get a berserk pack, then exit this building through either the teleporter or the elevator in the opposite corner.
Once you are back outside, ride the lift up to the red door (E); in the grey and brown brick building at the east end of the "town". Follow the walkway to another teleporter and go through. You will arrive in the large building in the center of the lava pit. From here, go right and flip the skull switch to lower the lift next to it. Ride up and continue along the path, turning left at the nearby entrance into the building. Drop in and pick up the BFG9000 (F). This triggers an enemy ambush, so be prepared. After dealing with the monsters, enter the green alcove directly in front of where you picked up the BFG. The wall inside will open, revealing the yellow keycard (G). After you get it, flip the skull switch on the pillar and proceed up the newly raised stairs.
Once back on the high walkway circling this building, follow it to the south side of the building. From here you will be able to drop down to the ground on the far side of the lava pit - drop down to the far ground and go through the yellow door in the southwest building. Inside is a small lava river with three exits. First, grab the radsuit in the north-leading exit, then head to the end of the south-leading tunnel and flip the switch. Return to the main room, where some stairs have risen. Follow them all the way to the top and flip the gargoyle-faced switch at the end to lower a lift leading up to the parapets at the top of this building. Follow the parapet east to another gargoyle-faced switch. Flip it, then return to the main room of this building again. There will be a lighted arrow on the floor and ceiling of the room pointing to one of the walls. Open the wall it designates to reveal the blue keycard (H).
From here, you may choose to exit to the secret level (see the secrets section for instructions on how to access the secret exit), or continue to the level's regular exit:
Return outside and follow the grassy ledge southeast to an iron "bridge" leading across the lava. Open the yellow bars midway through and enter the yellow door of the building at the far side. Once inside, walk straight ahead and the wall in front of you will lower (I). Follow the staircase up to another apparent "dead end"; once again, simply approach the wall and it will open like a door. Repeat this technique with the next wall, climb some more steps, and through one last wall at the top. Go through the blue door (J) and follow the barred path to the exit teleporter, dodging imps' fireballs along the way.
- From the platform the red keycard was on, drop down to the east to get a berserk pack (K). Lower the tan crate to get back out. (sector 290) An alternate way to get this secret is to lower the stack of two medium-sized grey crates in the corner of the room by pressing its northern side, and then ride it up and over the larger tan crate. You cannot get the red keycard this way, however.
- Go through the teleporter in the room with the red keycard and then follow the ledge outside to a shaft in the wall. Drop down into it while pushing against the north wall, and you will land on another ledge. From there run down onto a platform holding a chaingun (L). If you miss the second ledge, exiting the building will cause a floor to raise, making the ledge easier to reach on the next attempt. (sector 276)
- After passing through the red door, follow the corridor along until you reach the part where it gets narrower. Instead of going through the narrow passage, turn to your left and open the wall (sector 104) to reveal a secret cave (M).
- Once inside the southwestern building locked by a yellow key, follow the lava river south to the end, and flip the switch there. This raises a staircase back in the previous area (N). Walk up the first section of these stairs, but before turning left to continue up, open the corner wall in front of you. (sector 147) This reveals a teleporter pad which can be used to return to the northern portion of the map, namely to the rocket launcher tower. Unfortunately, due to a flaw in the level design, this secret cannot be registered during normal gameplay (see Bugs section below).
- At the end of the staircase mentioned in secret #4, ride the lift to the roof of the building. From the top of the lift, turn east and run as fast as you can through the opening in the parapet ahead. You should land on an elevated platform in the lava pit below (to make easier identifying, it has a radiation suit and 2 energy cell packs). Flip the switch there. This opens a passage at the east end of the lava pit (N), containing cacodemons and an invulnerability sphere. (sector 53) Entering this secret opens the exit to the secret level (secret #11).
- Return to the roof of the building (O) and follow the balcony north. Push the lion-faced switch and quickly drop back down to the lowest floor of this building and follow the lava river north through a small tunnel to a timed lift. Ride it up to another portion of the building's roof. (sector 216)
- Inside the southeastern building requiring the yellow keycard, walk straight ahead to lower a lift. Follow the path a short ways and start running up the stairs when you reach them. You will hear several doors open. When you get to the top of the stairs and across the bridge, make a u-turn to the left, and run across into the alcove with the megasphere (P). (sector 70)
- See secret #7 (this area counts as two secrets). (sector 71)
- When you run across the bridge mentioned in secret #7, a wall opens behind you. Go back and drop into the hole behind it (Q). (sector 47)
- Take the teleporter in secret #9 to be taken to another secret area (R). (sector 21)
- Secret exit: Return to the building from secrets #4-6. Follow the lava river south again and enter the previously unopened tunnel (sector 195) leading to a teleport to the secret level, MAP31: Wolfenstein (S).
It is normally impossible to register secret #4, as the secret sector in question (sector 147) is located adjacent to the raised teleport pad and is only 16 units wide. This setup completely prevents the player from touching this sector's floor (as is required to trigger a secret), because upon crossing the sector's boundary they are immediately raised onto the pad and teleport away. Therefore, the maximum SECRETS percentage one can ordinarily get on this map is 90%.
It has been shown possible to achieve secret #4 via obscure game mechanics, by luring a pain elemental to the location and allowing the door to try to close onto the player's head as the pain elemental attempts to spawn a lost soul. While the mechanism is not currently completely understood (it may be related to the phenomenon of sprites flickering across ledges or lifts), the resulting series of clipping operations will temporarily lower the player's z coordinate to the lowest floor underneath the player, causing the secret to be tallied. This is not presently required for 100% completion under Compet-N rules.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The Compet-N records for the map are:
|UV speed (normal exit)||01:22||Laszlo Vecsei (Waldon)||2002-03-05||lv15-122.zip|
|UV speed (secret exit)||00:29||Hi Jango||2005-10-13||lv15s029.zip|
|NM speed (normal exit)||01:53||Laszlo Vecsei (Waldon)||2002-04-04||nm15-153.zip|
|NM speed (secret exit)||00:37||Henning Skogstø||1999-05-25||nm15s037.zip|
|UV max||05:36||Radek Pecka||2001-08-07||lv15-536.zip|
|NM100S||03:07||Marijo Sedlić (Sedlo)||1999-09-22||ns15-307.zip|
|UV -fast||06:04||Radek Pecka||2002-04-09||fa15-604.zip|
|UV -respawn||04:52||Henning Skogstø||1999-09-04||re15-452.zip|
|UV Tyson||14:46||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2003-02-10||ty151446.zip|
|UV pacifist (normal exit)||02:23||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2003-02-11||pa15-223.zip|
|UV pacifist (secret exit)||00:31||Vincent Catalaá||2000-08-18||pa15s031.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on October 19, 2012.
This level contains eight spawn points:
- facing east. (thing 64)
- facing south-east. (thing 65)
- facing east. (thing 66)
- facing east. (thing 67)
- facing north. (thing 68)
- facing north. (thing 69)
- facing south. (thing 70)
- facing north. (thing 363)
The official French name of this level is La Zone industrielle.
- MAP15 demos from the Compet-n database: UV speed (normal exit • secret exit) • NM speed (normal exit • secret exit) • UV max • NM100S • UV -fast • UV -respawn • UV Tyson • UV pacifist (normal exit • secret exit)
- Top-down perspective view of all Doom II levels by Ian Albert
- Zero Master (30 August 2018). "Pain Elemental reveals the last official secret of Doom 2." YouTube. Retrieved 30 August 2018.