MAP15: Life-Wrecking Center (Doom 2 Unleashed)
|Doom 2 Unleashed maps 12-20|
|No Hope For Peace|
MAP15: Life-Wrecking Center is the fifteenth map of Doom 2 Unleashed. It was designed by Paul Corfiatis and uses the music track "In the Dark" by Robert Prince, or "Midnight Strike" by James Paddock (Jimmy) when using the music WAD included with this megawad.
This level includes a secret exit to MAP31: Night of Fail.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
Take the super shotgun in front of you then head east to a set of steps, killing two approaching Hell knights plus a revenant on Hurt Me Plenty (HMP) skill level or higher. Climb the steps and kill the mancubus at the top, press the gargoyle switch it was guarding then go down the steps and through the door that has opened ahead. Follow the passage until you reach a switch guarded by one or two chaingunners and flip it, which will lower a wall to the south-west hiding two or three demons. Follow a second passage behind this wall to another switch, also guarded by two chaingunners, and flip it - a wall will lower behind you revealing two knights and a revenant. Head north-west past a mancubus to a third switch protected by one or two chaingunners and flip it, then head due south into another passage. Go round the corner to find a set of steps leading up to the yellow keycard - watch out for the mancubus guarding the area on Ultra-Violence (UV) and Nightmare (NM) skill levels, and several demons that will be released as you approach the key.
Return to the starting room and go through the south door, which has yellow key markers above it. Kill the mancubus and two shotgun guys ahead then go to the lift by the south wall and flip the switch here to be taken down to a brick passage. Turn left at the junction ahead and follow the passage until you reach another junction, then turn left and flip the switch ahead. Go back to the junction and turn right to kill the approaching demons (plus two revenants on HMP or higher), then head south until you reach a wall. Turn right and follow the passage all the way to the end to find another switch, flip it then make your way back to the lift, killing more demons on the way. After riding the lift back up, turn right and climb the steps in front of you to reach the red keycard - approaching the key will lower three platforms behind you holding demons.
Blue key and exit
Return to the starting room and open the north door, which has red key markers above it. Kill the approaching zombies and demons then go through the door and turn right to see a lift protected by several monsters, including two cacodemons and a revenant on the ledge above. Kill the monsters then ride the lift up and follow the ledge round to a switch, which will raise a bridge over the nukage pool to the west. Drop off the ledge and head west over the bridge to find the blue keycard, pick it up and cross the bridge again to find that a mancubus and imps have been revealed on your left, as well as a pain elemental on the ledge ahead.
From the bridge, head north-east and go through a door with blue key markers above it. Go down the stairs and kill the waiting chaingunner, then go round the corner - the left-hand wall will lower and reveal demons and spectres, so step back to avoid being trapped. After clearing the way, follow the passage to a metal wall and press it to lower the wall and return to an earlier room, where part of the floor has lowered to reveal an arch-vile. Kill it then head through the south doorway and follow the passage to a teleporter surrounded by ammo boxes. After stepping into the teleporter, follow the winding path past some zombies through three damaging blood pools to reach the north wall.
As you approach the exit sign, a wall will lower in front of you to reveal two to four barons of Hell guarding a switch. Flipping the switch will open the door next to the exit sign and release two arch-viles, one of which will be teleported to the blood pool directly south of the door. Fight or avoid these monsters, then go through the door and step on the white teleporter pad to finish the level and proceed to MAP16: The Spooked.
Other points of interest
From the eastern switch in the red key room, head north to find a berserk pack in a dead end.
- Flip the switch at the start to open the east door. As you go through the door, use one of the red brick walls on your right to find a secret room with health bonuses, a chainsaw, and a megaarmor. (sector 406)
- In the red key area, head west from the western switch and use the north wall to find a box of shotgun shells, a box of ammo, and a backpack. (sector 404)
- Open the blue door and head down the steps. When you reach the bottom you will hear a door open behind you. Backtrack through the blue door and head north of it to find a passage with rockets leading to a rocket launcher. (sector 419)
- When you approach the normal exit door, the wall ahead of you opens revealing barons. When this happens, backtrack across the path until you see a passage leading east. Take it south to get four piles of shotgun shells and a supercharge. (sector 365)
- At the normal exit teleporter, head behind the teleporter to find a switch. After using it, go back through the winding passage to the south-west, where a new passage has opened leading to a teleporter. Step into this teleporter, then head across the field going north and east to reach the secret exit. (sector 400)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doomed Speed Demos Archive are:
This level contains four spawn points:
- facing west. (thing 373)
- facing south-west. (thing 374)
- facing east. (thing 375)
- facing north. (thing 376)
The following weapons and items appear in deathmatch:
- A BFG9000 at the bottom of the steps east of the start point. (thing 377)
- A chaingun behind the door due east of the start point. (thing 378)
- A chainsaw behind the red key door. (thing 379)
- A plasma gun on the gray ledge north-east of the red key door. (thing 380)
- A rocket launcher behind the yellow key door. (thing 381)
- A shotgun on the lift east of the red key door. (thing 382)