MAP15: The Causeway (Doom 2 the Way id Did)
|Doom 2 the Way id Did maps 12-20
MAP15: The Causeway is the fifteenth map of Doom 2 the Way id Did. It was designed by Richard Frei (Tarnsman) and uses the music track "Into Sandy's City". The par time defined in the DEHACKED lump is 3:15.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
Go south and east to get out of the starting building, entering a courtyard with a large wooden column. Go to the tan brick building east of this column and use the door on its south-east corner to gain entry, then press the eye switch in the north-east corner to raise a lift that goes up to a library. Kill three waiting mancubi then go to the south-west corner to press a skull switch; approaching the switch lowers the bookcases to reveal imps and a super shotgun, and pressing it opens the wall behind you allowing you to get the yellow keycard.
Drop to the ground and head north until you cross a bridge, then enter the black building to the north-east to see the red keycard at the end of a tunnel; as you enter the tunnel, a door will close on the key and the floor will drop, taking you down to a pit with spectres. Fight off the monsters then go to the moving ledge on the south of the pit and get on it to find another red key that you can pick up, then go to the north-west ledge to find a teleporter that goes back to the tunnel entrance.
Enter the brown building in the north-west corner of the map and press the button recessed into the north wall to lower a lift behind you, then ride the lift up to two sets of colored bars and use the keys you found to open them. Go through to a crate room and kill some waiting imps and lost souls, then climb the steps in the north-east corner to a ledge and go to its south end, then run west and north across two crates to reach a skull switch; pressing it opens a wall behind you, allowing you to jump east to the neighboring building. Go down the steps to a teleporter and enter it, then press the skull switch behind you to lower the floor and go down to a room with four ledges that have imps on them. Kill all the imps, then press the skull switch at the east end of the room to make the central platform rise again. Quickly step out of the alcove to teleport back to the platform, then run north-east to land on the ledge with the blue keycard.
With the blue key, jump between the ledges to get to the white teleporter in the south-west corner, which will teleport you to the top of the column near the starting point. Collect the invulnerability in front of you and drop to the ground, where a large number of demons, imps, mancubi and arch-viles are teleporting in, then go to the south-east corner of the map and open the blue bar here to reach the teleporter to MAP16: Cul-de-sac.
Other points of interest
As the level starts, climb the steps ahead and to your right to get a megaarmor. Also, if you press the button in the north-east corner of the starting room, you can activate a lift that goes up to a ledge with a chaingun.
The building south of the starting point contains a supercharge and a skull switch. Pressing the switch lowers six columns behind you holding Hell knights and a baron of Hell, as well as energy cells and a plasma gun.
Leave the starting building then head south to a teleporter, which goes to the southern-most part of the map. Pressing the button at the west end of the room opens the door leading back outside, but also opens several monster closets. After going through the door you opened and stepping on to a stone ledge, run west to land in a cross-shaped room with a BFG9000.
An invulnerability is hidden in a dead end west of the normal exit. If you go inside the building next to this item, you will find a teleporter that goes to a high ledge with a berserk pack.
- Leave the starting point and enter the teleporter to the south at the southernmost building. Head north and north-east when inside to get two energy cell packs. This secret closes thirty seconds after you start the level. (sector 105)
- Enter the moat at the west side and head west to get two boxes of rockets and a rocket launcher. (sector 21)
- At the steps leading out of the starting building, use the gargoyle switch on the south wall. Quickly leave and run west, south of the starting building, and to a platform that lowered to get a supercharge. (sector 134)
- Approaching the switch that opens the way to the yellow key lowers the bookshelves. Run to the easternmost bookshelf, ride up, and open the picture to the south. Jump to the ledge and take the teleporter to get rockets and a switch. (sector 11)
- The switch at secret #4 opens the door to the nearby building. Enter to lower the back ledges, with the south-east ledge having a megasphere. (sector 65)
- In the north-west crate room, use the north-west crate with a skull and ride it up. Jump to the west crate to get this secret. Although it does not have anything on it, the crate would have a BFG9000 on multiplayer modes. (sector 170)
- Jump to the building at the north end and open the damaged wall at the north-east end to find a partial invisibility. (sector 129)
- Take the teleporter in the north building and use the switch to drop down. Go to the east switch, press it, and go back to teleport onto the rising platform. Run north-west to that ledge to open the west wall with a switch. Flip it, leave the area, then head to the north-east part of the moat to find the passage to the secret exit. (sector 109)
One of the yellow bars in the north-western building is tagged to require the red key instead of the yellow, so both sets of bars can be opened with the red key only.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
|UV speed (normal exit)
|Cross-listed from Pacifist
|UV speed (secret exit)
|NM speed (normal exit)
|NM speed (secret exit)
|UV pacifist (normal exit)
|UV pacifist (secret exit)
|NoMo (normal exit)
The data was last verified in its entirety on June 1, 2022.
This level contains seven spawn points:
- facing north. (thing 5)
- facing west. (thing 9)
- facing west. (thing 11)
- facing west. (thing 32)
- facing south. (thing 222)
- facing north. (thing 260)
- facing north. (thing 344)