MAP15: Waste Disposal (Icarus: Alien Vanguard)
|Icarus maps 12-20|
MAP15: Waste Disposal is the fifteenth level of Icarus: Alien Vanguard. The level is set within the waste management facility of the exploration cruiser, Icarus, and it was designed by Ken Simpson and Jim Kennedy. It uses the music track "Heart of the Hive" by David "Tolwyn" Shaw.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
Open the door in front and approach the wall in front for it to lower. Go through it to a fork. Take the right path, going downstairs and the wall lowers for you. Head around the corner and take the first left to a switch. Flip it to open the wall with lights behind you. Kill the enemies and open the door here. In the next area, you can go down in the blood or around the ledge and then drop down, but either way leads to a room to the east with two doors. Open the northern one, and head around until you are ledge where the enemies were. Head towards the opening on the left and press the lion switch, which lowers the eastern bloodfall. Go through that passage to the wall with lights on top. Press on it to lower it and head through the next door and down into a blood pool. Head west from there, up the steps and take the first left. Open the wall at the dead end and use the teleporter.
You wlll appear in a room just behind the room with the red keycard, guarded by shotgun guys. Open the two doors to the right into a monster-filled room where you can get the blue keycard. From there, head south to the crushers, and follow them westward, until you reach a passage with boxes of shells. Take the path with blood leading upwards and keep going west through the wall that opens, jumping out of the window to the right. Go left after you jump, and head around until you find that you are back in a familiar place, where you flipped the switch to open the big wall earlier. Now you need to retrace your steps until you arrive at the teleporter you used previously. When you do, enter the teleporter and you will arrive at the red key room. Pick it up and leave the room via teleporter to go back. From there, turn left and left again to the next teleporter, and take it to be on the left path of the first fork, close to the starting point.
Follow the trail of water to a large garage door and flip the switch to open it. In this large room, climb the stairs to the southeast and enter the broken vent. At the first fork, go left, and at the second, head right to the blue door. Look out for a wall of lost souls behind you when you approach the door. Open the blue door to find the "SIMU EXIT", and press on the panel furthest from the right to take the normal exit.
Other points of interest
- After leaving the closet you started the map in, ride up the barrier that drops on approaching. The northern wall has brown borders; you can walk through this wall to find a light amplification visor. (sector 272) Doing so causes the barrier to lower again. Note that if you end up west of the barrier when it rises, it will be impossible to obtain this secret.
- Beyond the barrier from secret #1, descend the southern stairway. Its southern wall has two misaligned portions that can be opened, revealing alcoves: While the western one hides a rocket launcher, the eastern one (sector 268) contains a teleporter. Enter it to get to the cage in the southwest of the map, where you can obtain a partial invisibility. Use the right (western) teleporter to return to this secret or the left (eastern) one to be teleported to the room east of the processing area (the large room with a pool and a rocket launcher on a pole in the center), where two sergeants await you.
- Descend the northern stairway beyond the barrier mentioned in secrets #1 and #2 and follow the passage to the north, where you see a soul sphere behind bars. Follow the branch to the west where you find a recess in the eastern wall with a light at the bottom. Push it to find a chaingunner in a small room (sector 125), where you open the northern piping to reach the soul sphere.
- In the room with the bloodfall "stairway," there is a closet (sector 52) containing a shotgun that is impossible to access except through the idclip cheat.
- Before passing the barrier mentioned in official secret #1, lower the waterfall to gain a blue armor.
- Secret exit: In the stone room where you acquire the red keycard, the northern side of the teleport out of the room has a different texture than the rest. After grabbing the keycard, step onto the teleporter from this side and you will be taken to a different-looking exit hall with a simulation portal marked "RESTRICTED" and "TOP SECRET". Open the barrier and step into the portal to go to the secret level, MAP31: Great Balls of Fire.
Due to a secret being impossible to reach, you can only obtain 75% Secrets on this level.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map on the Doomed Speed Demos Archive are:
|UV speed (normal exit)||00:52||AD_79||2015-01-24||ic15-052.zip|
|UV speed (secret exit)||00:31||Graham Burgess (Grazza)||2005-03-02||ic15-031.zip||1|
|NM speed (normal exit)||01:16||Graham Burgess (Grazza)||2004-01-05||ic15n116.zip|
|NM speed (secret exit)||00:16||Graham Burgess (Grazza)||2004-01-20||ic15sn16.zip|
|UV -fast||08:17||Michael Reid (prower)||1997-02-12||icgmdemo.zip|
|UV pacifist||00:31||Graham Burgess (Grazza)||2005-03-02||ic15-031.zip||1|
|UV speed 15-31||00:36||Graham Burgess (Grazza)||2004-01-20||ic31x036.zip||2|
|UV max TAS||02:37||Andy Olivera||2000-01-05||icuvlmps.zip|
|HMP speed nomo||07:23||TeamTNT||1996-04-18||icarhelp.zip||Walkthrough demo.|
The data was last verified in its entirety on April 3, 2015.
This level contains thirteen spawn points:
- facing west. (thing 5)
- facing west. (thing 15)
- facing north-east. (thing 16)
- facing west. (thing 17)
- facing east. (thing 23)
- facing south-east. (thing 24)
- facing south-west. (thing 25)
- facing south-west. (thing 80)
- facing north-east. (thing 81)
- facing north-east. (thing 82)
- facing north-east. (thing 83)
- facing north-east. (thing 84)
- facing north-east. (thing 85)