MAP16: Devil's Den (TNT: Revilution)
|TNT: Revilution maps 12-20|
This level occupies the map slot MAP16. For other maps which occupy this slot, see Category:MAP16.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
Letters in italics refer to marked spots on the map. Sector, thing, and linedef numbers in boldface are secrets which count toward the end-of-level tally.
Other points of interest
- In the maze area with the health and armor bonuses, head for the southern end and go through a dark passage behind a vine curtain (sector 241) to find a chaingun and a few imps.
- At the southeast room of the map is a lift switch with a Wolfenstein-like texture leading down. Use it, then press on the wall with the TNT logo on it to open the door ahead into a secret puzzle room (sector 860). This puzzle will allow you to get the blue key. First off, the switches are color-coded in accordance to both the walls and the floors. The three switches you see at the south wall (with the levers normally pointing up) lower walls and floors, while the ones on the west wall (with the levers pointing down) raise walls and floors. The first switches to flip are the tan and gray switches on the south wall, these will allow you to go across the upper path, where you can open the door to find a second set of switches, where the ones on the south wall raise floors and walls while the ones on the east wall lower floors and walls. Here is the order of the switches to reach the blue key: Tan and gray switches on the south wall, which will lead to the second set of switches via the north path. Then the dark brown and beige switches on the east wall. Now head back and drop to the gray floor below, using the teleporter to appear back at the first set of switches. Both the tan and beige walls should be down. Use the green switch on the south wall and gray switch on the west wall, allowing you to take the south path back to the second set of switches. North from there, the green and dark brown walls should be down. Finally, flip the beige switch on the south wall, now use the west path to reach a rocket launcher and rockets, as well as a teleporter back. You can then fight the horde of monsters to reach the blue key.
- In the big cavern with the arch-vile barrier puzzle at the center of the map, go to the first barrier and from it, go to the southwest corner to spot a hidden passage further into the caverns. Fight off the zombiemen as you head northwest, until you reach a pillar with a heart and candles around it. Northwest from there is a secret area with several color-coded pads and switches (sector 495). The switches on the sides raise the pads, while the ones in the center lower them. You need to flip the red switch once, blue switch twice, yellow switch three times, and green switch four times to build the steps up. Follow the passage to the teleporter, which will take you to a super shotgun, a backpack, and a soul sphere.
- Near the entrance to Secret #3 is a red bar which you can open with the red key. Move along here until you spot an arch-vile and some armor bonuses, which mark a path to the southwest. Go here for another secret puzzle room and a berserk pack, but notice that the pads here operate using the same mechanism as the pads in Secret #3. To get up to the next teleporter (and subsequently Secret #5), head back to Secret #3, reset the pads if necessary, then press the blue switch once, the green switch two times, the red switch three times, and the yellow switch four times. Return to this secret and climb up to reach the teleporter. (sector 220) There is a way to reach this area before obtaining the red key: in the southeast section of the early tunnel maze, there is a room with several raising and lowering tech platforms. The second one from the west can be used to reach a platform with an animated control panel. Use this to open a passage in the northeast end of the tunnel maze, near the second cavern with tech pillars to the northwest.
- The teleporter in Secret #4 leads to a large computer room behind where all the arch-viles in the big cavern were (sector 897). Go behind your teleporter to find a rocket launcher and several boxes of rockets, and prepare to fight any arch-viles which you may not have killed yet. Go up to one of their ledges to open up the walls nearby, including one in the southeast corner which concealed a green square switch to a BFG9000 and the way out.
- Just before the bloodfall leading to the exit, there is a red wall to the north without the skull filigree at the bottom. Lower it to get a medikit and a computer area map. The teleporter here takes you back to the tunnel maze near the start. (sector 182)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
The data was last verified in its entirety on April 4, 2022.
This level contains six spawn points:
- facing west. (thing 901)
- facing east. (thing 902)
- facing south-east. (thing 909)
- facing east. (thing 910)
- facing south-east. (thing 911)
- facing north. (thing 912)