MAP16: Stoned (Memento Mori)
|Memento Mori maps 11-20|
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
Open the door and kill the zombies in the hall. Head all the way down the hall, as the stuff in the outdoor sections is optional. At the end, hit the lion switch near the door to open it, into a very large room. In here, stepping around certain things causes several lifts to lower, possibly releasing monsters and revealing nooks with supplies in them. You need to reach the southwest corner, and all you have to do is flip the switch to lower the southwest lift. Take it up, and follow the long hall all the way until you see a soul sphere in a corner and a door to the right. Take this door into a dark room. There is a nearby light switch you can press. Go to the end of the room and flip the switch on the north wall, then leave the room and continue down the hall until you climb to an open area. There is a door here, along with a wall to the south with hanging legs near it. Remember this location for later, and take the door. Step on the light panel in this room to raise a staircase, then get the megaarmor for the ground to lower. In the room with the blue torches, head for the southeast exit, going up the stairs. If you get the blur artifact, look out for spectres that appear. To your right, you can spot some blocks to the yellow keycard. Hop on them and get the key, but look out for shotgun guys, plus the key will disappear. The switch in the northern closets raises some blocks to the south of the blur artifact. Traverse these blocks and open the wall to find some health and a radiation suit. The teleporter takes you into the lava. Maneuver through the tunnel and head right from the yellow bars, to a room with two pits. Hop in either one, and you will appear near a building. Enter it with the entrance you see, and go through it until you find another yellow key and a switch. Flip it, then head back one room and look for a wall with candles in front of it. Open it to find a teleporter taking you back.
The switch you flipped lowered the yellow bars, so go back there and head towards the very large door in the back. Open it to a very large room and go towards the defunct Icon of Sin. Press the switch to lower a lift and ride it up. Head over to the right side, then south until you find an opening on your left. Follow it into a courtyard with chaingunners and two arch-viles. Look towards the western wall and spot one that is brighter than the rest. Open it for a medikit and a teleporter. You will appear on a ledge with a blue keycard so take it, and drop back into the Icon of Sin room. Take the lift again and head for the left-hand side this time. There are a lot of candles in front of a switch here, so press it to find a teleporter. Take it and you will wind up in the room above lava where the blur artifact was. With the blue key, head back down the stairs to the room with two blue torches. Head to the northwest side of the room with the blue door and open it for an imp and a switch. Then go to the southwest corner to find a red keycard and a teleporter. Take the teleporter to appear in the room just after the open area, then go back to the open area. Look towards the wall that has bodies all over it, Follow them to the right until you find a cacodemon and an open passage. Follow this passage until you reach the water, then go all the way until you see some red bars to the left. Open the red door on the right and hit the switch to lower those bars, then head through the big door and climb the steps to the next door. In the terrace ahead, if you attempt to get the megaarmor, a wall of chaingunners appears to your right. Head through the exit door and press the switch to be confronted with several caged barons. The exit is straight ahead.
Other points of interest
- In the great hall in the northwestern part of the map, run into the southern light on the western side of the room to lower the northern, southern, and eastern elevators. Take the southern elevator to find a secret room (sector 89) with a chaingunner, one (two on hard skill levels) box of shotgun shells, a super shotgun (only on Hurt Me Plenty or higher), a set of shells and a chainsaw.
- In the same hall where you found secret #1, run into the eastern light on the southern side to lower the northwestern and southeastern elevators. Take the northwestern elevator to find a room (sector 221) with a medikit. The northern part of the eastern wall is a fake wall, pass it to enter a hallway with a set of shells. The western part of the southern wall is also passable, behind it you find a hallway with a chaingunner and a medikit.
- Ride up the southwestern lift in the great hall to enter a hallway to the south. Upon entering the third trapezoid light behind the corner to the east, you will be lowered next to a room (sector 165) containing four (two on easy skills) spectres, (a Hell knight on hard,) two medikits, a box of shells, a box of rockets and a box of bullets.
- From secret #3 proceed the hallway to the east. At the next light, press on the lantern to open a compartment (sector 137) containing a backpack (and a shell box on Ultra-Violence or higher).
- After leaving the first long hallway, approach the soul sphere in the southeastern corner; you will be lowered next to a large room (sector 147) with three (two on easy) imps (, two Hell knights on hard skills) and eleven health bonuses. There are two switches in the northwestern corner. Push the lion switch (the eastern one) to lower the lift and exit the room. The satyr switch (the western one) will raise a staircase in the passageway into the water. However, doing this will prevent you from obtaining secret #9.
- Exit secret #5 and proceed westwards, then southwards. After lowering the elevator in the eastern wall to access the room with the rising staircase, stay on the elevator until it rises; you will find a roughly L-shaped passage (sector 195) with one (two on hard) chaingunner and a switch. Flip the switch to reveal a teleporter leading to a secret room with two medikits, a stimpack, a backpack and a stockpile of ammo, including (skill dependent) two, three or four bulk cells, a box of shells, a box of bullets, two boxes of rockets, a rocket launcher and a plasma gun.
- On the western walkway in the blue key room, bearing the Icon of Sin's face, a portion of the wall has a collection of candles in front of it. Open this wall to reveal a room (sector 407) containing a bulk cell, two medikits, a green armor and a teleporter back into the lava cavern.
- After returning from the lava cavern, enter the passage in the southwest of the elevator mentioned in secret #6. Drop down the edge next to the health bonuses and follow the passageway around the corner to the north. Just before entering the water, open the misaligned eastern wall between the candles to reveal a small room (sector 196) containing a teleporter back to the area upstairs, as well as a box of bullets, a backpack and a green armor.
- Exit secret #8 and walk towards the water. The sector right before the water is marked as a secret (sector 175). However, if you raised the stairway with the satyr switch in secret #5, this secret will never register due to being too narrow for you to walk on without climbing up a step in the process.
- The compartment (sector 167) from which enemies are released in the final, southwestern hallway counts as a secret. This actually consists of two sectors, including the door sector, both marked as secret.
- See secret #10. (sector 168)
- After passing the door from the map start and walking the hallway to the east, while proceeding to the north you see two candles on the eastern wall. Open the wall between those to find a long room with switch behind a blue armor. Pushing it raises a walkway in the arachnotron's pit outside so you can access the platform in its center, where you find some chaingunners' ammo, a chaingun, a rocket launcher, a bullet box, a set of shells, a rocket box and a medikit.
- On the northern wall of the same walkway where the candles are you find two more candles. Open the wall and ride the lift up to access a passage with four imps, three medikits, a bullet box, a partial invisibility and a shell box.
- In the great hall, where secrets #1 and #2 are found, enter the western light on the southern wall (where ten health bonuses rest) to lower the floor to a room with three sergeants, four energy cells and two medikits.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
For years, it was considered impossible to obtain 100% Secrets on this level due to secret #9 being impossible to register, with 90% believed to be the maximum percentage possible. However, in his April 14, 2000 review of Memento Mori , Andy Olivera stated in his description of this level that "contrary to popular belief, you can get 100% Secrets." Eventually, on March 14, 2002, Anthony Soto utilized information from both Olivera and Adam Hegyi to perform his record-holding UV max run of this level, in which 100% Secrets is finally obtained in a demo recording. As indicated above, to obtain secret #9, you must not trigger the stair-raising switch in secret #5, or the secret will not register due to being too narrow for you to step on without climbing up one of the stair steps.
Current Compet-n records
The Compet-n records for the map are:
|UV speed||01:58||Oyvind Stenhaug||2003-03-27||mm16-158.zip|
|UV max||07:48||Tatsuya Ito (Tatsurd-cacocaco)||2014-12-07||mm16-748.zip|
|NM100S||03:57||Tatsuya Ito (Tatsurd-cacocaco)||2014-12-31||mm16s357.zip|
|UV -fast||08:50||Tatsuya Ito (Tatsurd-cacocaco)||2014-12-31||mm16f850.zip|
|UV -respawn||06:39||Kristian Ronge||2005-03-24||mm16r639.zip|
|UV pacifist||02:15||Kristian Ronge||2005-11-03||mm16p215.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on July 4, 2020.
Current DSDA records
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
|UV speed||1:57.74||Andrea Rovenski (Cyberdemon531)||2016-03-03||mm16-157.zip|
|UV max||7:36.94||Andrea Rovenski (Cyberdemon531)||2016-01-02||mm16-736.zip|
|NM 100S||3:57.77||Tatsuya Ito (Tatsurd-cacocaco)||2014-12-31||mm16s357.zip|
|UV -fast||8:50.69||Tatsuya Ito (Tatsurd-cacocaco)||2014-12-31||mm16f850.zip|
|UV -respawn||06:14||Andrea Rovenski (Cyberdemon531)||2019-07-15||mm16r614.zip|
|UV pacifist||2:15.66||Kristian Ronge||2005-11-03||mm16p215.zip|
|NoMo||1:47.91||Andrea Rovenski (Cyberdemon531)||2014-12-03||mm16o147.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on April 3, 2022.
This level contains four spawn points:
- facing south-east. (thing 47)
- facing south-west. (thing 61)
- facing west. (thing 62)
- facing north-west. (thing 712)
Inspiration and development
- This level was one of the earliest two, complete levels to be submitted, along with MAP25: Cesspool.
- MAP25: Cesspool) and Kurt Schmid are named "Fastest Guys" in the credits for sending "the first complete levels." . William Sullivan (author of