MAP16: Suburbs (Doom II)
|Doom II maps 12-20|
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Inspiration and development
- 7 Trivia
- 8 External links
- 9 References
From the start, walk straight ahead and go through the door just around the corner. The outdoor area you'll arrive in (A) consists of two small buildings inside a tall, circular, black barrier wall, as well as several buildings outside the wall. There are two exits in the black wall (B); go through either and make your way to the nukage pond in the southwest corner of the map. In the pool is a wooden structure with some stairs leading up to the blue skull key (C). Upon picking the key up, a large number of monsters will teleport in, so be prepared.
At the north end of the map is a grey brick building; walk up the stairs in the corner and go through the lion-faced door around the corner at the top. Inside is a glowing blue/red wall as well as a blue key door. Open the blue door and pick up the red skull key inside (D). Next to the red key is a satyr face switch. Flip it; it lowers the glowing blue/red wall in the previous room, revealing a hidden teleporter. Run to it quickly, as it only lowers for a short time period. You'll be taken to an otherwise unreachable platform with some likely useful plasma guns (E).
Once you're ready to exit the level, make your way to the structure made of several black and gray "cubes" in the northeast (F). The two platforms with the more rectangular-shaped patterns on them lower like lifts, allowing you to access the highest ledge. Once you reach the top, turn around and lower the second lift platform again (while still on the top ledge). This causes the wall of the ledge you're on to lower as well, revealing the exit teleporter blocked by a red skull column (G); open it using your key and exit.
Other points of interest
The southwest corner of the complete map contains a rectangular inaccessible area connected to the nukage pool by a small tunnel. This room contains the swarm of imps, cacodemons, and mancubi which teleport in when obtaining the blue key.
- Enter the southern building in the central area in the level (H). Inside is a blue-carpeted room with a small pedestal-like structure in its center. Use this pedestal as you would a lift, and ride up. There is a small fiery hole in the eastern wall of this room. Shoot inside this hole to cause one of the bookshelves to rise, revealing a megasphere (I). (sector 41) You will need to fall into the pit for the secret to count, as it is possible to retrieve the megasphere without triggering the secret.
- Use the torch in the southwestern corner of the room to raise the wall in front of the pair of eyes. It leaves a small, low wall which you can use as a lift to get level with the eyes, allowing you to shoot the eyes. Once you hear the sound of a door opening, turn right to enter a newly opened alcove (K). (sector 33) Alternatively, you can ride the same pedestal as for secret #1 and use the super shotgun, thanks to its wide spread it may impact the eyes after a few tries.
- Enter the red brick building in the east of the map through the door on its eastern wall (L). The corpse-wall behind the door is an illusion that can be walked straight through. (sector 13)
- Inside secret #3, lower the right grey stone wall (M) and ride it up. Once at the top, run onto the adjacent raised platform, into a pool of blood. Flip the switch to reveal a BFG9000 (N). (sector 7)
- To get to the raised platform with the plasma guns on it, go inside the northernmost building. Behind the blue door is a red skull key sitting in a window. Stand in the window sill and press the satyr-faced switch to lower the big blue/red fire wall in the previous room, which reveals a teleporter. Step through to get the plasma guns.
Secret exit [Sony PlayStation / Sega Saturn only]: Jump from the plasma gun platform and get to the nearby red brick building. Go through the door on its western wall. You can now walk through the corpse-wall into the small alcove (the door has been temporarily raised). It contains a secret exit switch that takes you to MAP58: The Mansion.
The high number of monsters in this level, combined with the high occurrence of monster infighting that results, frequently causes the Sony PlayStation port of the game to crash on high skill settings during the level. Also, in the Doom II port found in the Xbox version of Doom 3/Resurrection of Evil, if too many monsters are on the map and a game is saved and later restarted, it runs the risk of freezing upon loading it, resulting in needing to reboot the Xbox system entirely and starting the game anew.
Areas / screenshots
Hellgrowth in the eastern building...
Routes and tricks
The Compet-n records for the map are:
|UV speed||00:11||Adam Hegyi||2001-03-24||lv16-011.zip|
|NM speed||00:12||Marijo Sedlić (Sedlo)||1999-09-12||nm16-012.zip|
|UV max||02:46||Radek Pecka||2002-08-16||lv16-246.zip|
|NM100S||00:42||Jean-Charles Dorne (JCD)||2014-12-17||ns16-042.zip|
|UV -fast||02:49||Ole Hartvigsen (hartvix)||2000-06-04||fa16-249.zip|
|UV -respawn||02:11||Henning Skogstø||2000-04-05||re16-211.zip|
|UV Tyson||07:33||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2002-07-24||ty16-733.zip|
|UV pacifist||00:11||Adam Hegyi||2001-03-24||pa16-011.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on July 5, 2020.
This level contains seven spawn points:
- facing south-west. (thing 6)
- facing south-west. (thing 242)
- facing north. (thing 243)
- facing south. (thing 244)
- facing north-west. (thing 245)
- facing north-east. (thing 246)
- facing south-east. (thing 247)
Inspiration and development
Sandy Petersen has claimed that the layouts of two of the buildings in Suburbs were directly taken from real life: one was modeled after his own house, and the other was modeled after his father's house.
The official French name of this level is La Banlieue.
- Top-down perspective view of all Doom II levels by Ian Albert
- Petersen, Sandy (18 July 2016). "Favorite Doom level? Doom 2, level 16. One building is my actual house plans. Another is my dad's. The more you know ...." Twitter. Retrieved 21 July 2016.
- Petersen, Sandy (2 December 2020). "DOOM 2 level 16 House Tour." Youtube. Retrieved 3 December 2020.