MAP16: Suburbs (Doom 2 In Name Only)
|Doom 2 In Name Only maps 12-20|
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
Press the button in front of you to open the door, go through and kill a pair of chaingunners hiding on either side then go through the opening in the south wall to reach a rock path. Turn right and walk through a narrow opening, kill some chaingunners that appear on the boxes ahead, along with an arch-vile that teleports ahead, then head straight forward until you find yourself between two wooden fences; there will be a pack of zombiemen to your left, and on Hurt Me Plenty (HMP) skill level there will also be a mancubus to your right. Walk through the south fence and pass through the door that the zombiemen were guarding to enter an apartment, then go up the steps on your left and follow the path round a corner to confront a baron of Hell; two Hell knights will also teleport behind you. Just past the baron is a chamber with two bloodfalls - kill some waiting zombies, as well as an arch-vile on a plinth, then pass through the chamber and turn left to dispose of a revenant.
Take the supercharge to the north if you need it, then head south into the neighboring room with two cacodemons and push the lion switch here to open a door above. Head back to the bloodfalls and head west to the door you just opened, collecting some health bonuses on the way, then clear a couple of chaingunners before opening the door in the north wall. There are two barons to your left, one of which will teleport to guard a lion switch in the north-east corner; after pressing this switch, go back outside and head north-west to a building on the other side of the street that has opened. Take the shotgun by the back wall and lower the wooden lift next to it, kill a waiting revenant then ride the lift up and look through the broken window ahead to see a chaingunner. Jump across to its side of the building and follow the tunnel until you get outside, then turn left to see a revenant guarding another lion switch. Watch out for another chaingunner that attacks you from behind.
Pressing the switch will lower a wall to your right and reveal a lift. Ride the lift down to ground level, then go back to the pool of water and blood near the starting point and climb the steps in the north-west corner to enter the gray building. Open the north door to confront a couple of chaingunners, then go down the steps to find a revenant and a few zombies protecting the yellow keycard.
Blue and red keys
Go back outside and head south to some wooden poles, then walk through them to enter an area with a number of square structures. Make your way south through the burning barrels, killing any chaingunners waiting in ambush, then drop down the hole in front of you to land in a sludge pool with an arch-vile; it will run into the nearby teleporter when it sees you. Continue south past some shotgun guys and enter the brown building in front of you, take the waiting rocket launcher then walk north-east to a button that requires the yellow key to activate; it will open two doors behind you but will also allow various monsters, including multiple arachnotrons (and an arch-vile on HMP or higher), to teleport in; go through the south door to find an invulnerability that will assist you. Kill a mancubus waiting behind the west door then head straight forward through a tunnel, noting some revenants that are released behind you, until you reach a smaller door.
Behind the smaller door is a small chamber with four more doors; only the west doors open, and a pack of imps will teleport in to block your path (followed by an arch-vile on Ultra-Violence (UV) and Nightmare (NM)). Go through either of the west doors, noting a compartment that opens to your right containing two imps (or a mancubus on HMP or higher), then continue going west towards a ledge with chaingunners and climb up the nearby steps to get on top of it. Kill a couple of spectres guarding another door and kill a mancubus waiting behind it, then run south past some arachnotrons to find the blue skull key. Taking the key will lower the opposite wall to reveal a teleporter holding an arch-vile, but you will have to kill some chaingunners and revenants while you wait. The teleporter will put you near the brown buildings you visited at the start - go back to the square structures and head for the south side again, but instead of dropping into the sludge head west and north to a building covered in red flesh. Open the blue key door of this building and go inside to find zombiemen, shotgun guys and two arch-viles (one of which teleports repeatedly) guarding a supercharge and the red skull key.
With the red key, go back to the brown buildings you visited at the start, but continue heading west past the northern building until you reach an area of white stone - a BFG9000 can be found at the entrance on HMP or lower, but on UV and NM it is placed in the south-west corner. As you enter the area a line of chaingunners will appear on the north wall and a large group of other monsters, including a spiderdemon, will teleport in; use the megasphere and partial invisibility by the north wall to help you clear them out, then go inside the south building to find two arch-viles guarding a marble exit teleporter.
Other points of interest
In the yellow key room, drop into the nearby nukage pool to find a megaarmor and two armor pickups. The neighboring room to the west has five closets that contain two super shotguns, two boxes of bullets and a regular shotgun.
- Step onto the small crate with the armor bonus at the start to lower another one in the same room with a partial invisibility. (sector 791)
- At the building in the north central part of the map, the one with the supercharge behind the fence, head to the southwestern-most part of this building. Several of the walls in this part of the building have blood seeping out from them. Open the black panel in the south-east corner to enter another room with three bloody walls, then press the wall on the west side to open a door revealing armor bonuses and another supercharge. (sector 961)
- Upon exiting the north building in the north central part of the map, the small area just to the north-east guarded by chaingunners will be open. Get on this platform to find backpacks and another supercharge. (sector 695)
- As you go west through the tunnels in the southern part of the map, keep going until you reach the platform with the chaingunners, but open the door just to the right once you reach it. In this small room, a section of the metal wall is misaligned. Press on this wall to find a rocket launcher. (sector 320)
- In secret #4, press on the wall to the north for a passage leading to a big room. A megaarmor is in the north-west corner. (sector 520)
- In the same big room accessible from secret #5, go east instead of west to the next door and open it. You can then open the way to the other identical rooms to get some extra ammo. (sector 4)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
The data was last verified in its entirety on April 3, 2022.
This level contains four spawn points:
- facing west. (thing 1000)
- facing north. (thing 1001)
- facing north. (thing 1002)
- facing east. (thing 1003)