MAP16: Wormhole (PlayStation Final Doom)
|PlayStation Final Doom maps|
|Master Levels episode|
MAP16: Wormhole is the sixteenth map of PlayStation Final Doom, and the third map of the TNT episode. It is based on the PC version of MAP04: Wormhole from TNT: Evilution, with modifications to accommodate the PlayStation's framerate and memory limitations and add enhancements such as colored lighting. It uses the music track "Corrupted Core".
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Comparison of versions
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 References
The level is divided into two halves: the starting area and the "alternate" area. It is not necessary to enter the alternate area to exit the level.
From the start, step forward then go east through a doorway flanked by floor lamps. Climb the staircase and go through the door at the top to a narrow corridor. Go west through this corridor until you hear a door opening nearby. Stop and go back the way you came, through the door and down the wide staircase. Halfway down the stairs, you will see that the east wall has opened to reveal the exit switch behind a shotgun guy, or three on Hurt Me Plenty and Ultra Violence skill levels (HMP/UV).
Other points of interest
- Straight in front of you at the start of the level is a raised platform with a rocket launcher on it. You can lower it like a lift to get the weapon. (sector 185)
- After passing the first main area, you arrive in a narrow brown hallway with a staircase. There are two candles against the east wall. Open the wall behind the candle closest to the door you came in from. Ride the lifts (sector 61) behind it up to an extensive secret area.
- At the top of Secret #2, there are three computer banks. Each one can lower like a lift, revealing a box of shells hidden in each bank. The longest bank counts as a secret, also containing a chaingun on all skill levels and a megasphere on HMP or lower. (sector 84)
- Just west of Secret #3 is a brown alcove. Step into it to be taken down to a path leading back to the narrow brown stairway from earlier. The door leading back to the stairway counts as as secret. (sector 43)
- Further down the steps, the path splits into three - take the middle one. About halfway through, the floor will lower and you'll be able to go left or right into two new rooms. Go right, and step through the glowing red/blue bars. You will be teleported to the "alternate" version of the level; the sector you arrive in counts as a secret. (sector 294)
- Once you have entered the alternate level, proceed up the stairs and the south end of the triangle-shaped area. Although the candles from the first half level (from Secret #2) are missing, the secret doors remain. Press use on the east wall at the top of the stairs to open it. (sector 227)
- Taking the hidden door a bit further down the stairs (mirroring Secret #4) also counts as a secret. (sector 234)
- At the top of Secret #6/7, there is a very steep stairway leading down into a cave that was not present in the previous half of the level. Follow the tunnel to the end, where you'll see a red torch. Open the slightly different-textured wall to reveal a hidden path leading back (sector 302) to the triangle hall. You can also reach this path by pushing the north-east corner of the triangle hall.
Comparison of versions
- A gray room between the two halves of the level, designed to allow players to move between the halves quickly in deathmatch, is removed.
- All switches use a red/green light on silver wall texture (SW1COMM).
- The benches in the alternate starting room have wood textures instead of cement.
- Walls in the alternate starting room have brick textures instead of light-grey walls.
- Hell knights and cacodemons are removed without replacement.
- The mancubi and arachnotron that appear in the alternate starting room on UV are removed without replacement.
- The revenant on the lift at the north end of the starting room on HMP/UV is replaced with a nightmare spectre on UV. Nothing takes its place on HMP.
- Revenants in the triangular area in the alternate level on UV are replaced with nightmare spectres.
- Revenants in the north-eastern cavern in the "alternate" level on UV are replaced with demons.
- One of the demons in the "alternate" starting room on HMP/UV is replaced with a nightmare spectre.
- The arch-vile guarding the fake exit switch on HMP/UV is replaced with two nightmare spectres. One nightmare spectre appears on I am a Wimp/Not Too Rough (IAAW/NTR).
Areas / screenshots
This level contains ten spawn points:
- facing north. (thing 269)
- facing east. (thing 270)
- facing east. (thing 271)
- facing west. (thing 272)
- facing west. (thing 273)
- facing west. (thing 274)
- facing east. (thing 275)
- facing north. (thing 276)
- facing north. (thing 277)
- facing north. (thing 278)