MAP18: Knightmire (1 Monster)
|1 Monster maps|
|Final episode & Secret|
Like all maps in the megawad, the map features only one type of monster, in this case the Hell knight. It is set in a Hell-styled dungeon and cavern, overgrown with vines.
Head on forward until you come to a larger room. Press the lion switch to the west. Head down the newly opened passage, go down the lift and press the skull switch. Go back to the large room and enter another newly opened passage to the south. Press the skull switch to open a small window, beyond which are some Hell knights; kill them so that you can shoot the skull switch inside. This opens the door. Head through and go forward, down the stairs to a room with two switches. Press both of them and go back upstairs; now you can walk through the window and head across a winding walkway. Head west and go into the western passage of white rock. You will find yourself at the edge of a pit. Jump down and follow the river until you come to a gargoyle switch. Press it and use the nearby teleporter to go back. Now a set of stepping stones will slowly arise, allowing you access to the skull switch across the pit. Press it.
Go upstairs out of this chamber. A teleporter has been revealed to the north. Enter it to be brought back near the beginning of the level; now a previously barred door to the east is accessible. Enter it and head forward until you come to a cave. Press the "use" key against the floating red rock to reveal a new, large cavern. Head up the stairs to the south-east and press the switch; it will lower some bars to the south, allowing you access to a lift. Head down the lift and enter the teleporter. You will find yourself near the start again, and this time a wall will open next to you, revealing a doorway leading to the exit.
Other points of interest
In the area where you need to press two switches to raise a bridge, if you jump off the bridge down into the pool (which is a damaging floor), you can find a number of items: two stimpacks, a super shotgun and a backpack. Use the teleporter to get out of the pool.
In the crossroads passage with all the green torches, when you approach the white rock passage to the west, another door opens to the north. It leads to a series of caverns with some enemies inside, but also health and ammo, as well as a megaarmor.
In the room with the skull switch across the pit, there is a passage to the south-west that leads to a small side room with a radiation shielding suit visible behind metal bars. Approach the bars to open another side passage next to you, and enter it to reach a switch that removes the bars. The suit can come in handy when you jump down into the blood river to raise the stepping stones.
- In the first large room (with the wooden structure with four red torches), open one of the vine-covered walls to the east. A passage will be revealed with eight health bonuses. (sector 191)
- In secret #1, continue up the passage to a room which contains armor. (sector 116)
- In the room where you need to shoot a skull switch blocked by Hell knights, look through a small window in the wall just before the lift. There is a green switch visible inside. Shoot it to open a side room which can be accessed by stepping on the lift and quickly heading into the room as you descend past it. Go down the passage until you come to four armor bonuses, four health bonuses and a partial invisibility. Reaching the end of the passage triggers the secret. (sector 251)
- In the large brown cavern, look near the south-west area; there is a passage in the wall which leads to a room with a rocket launcher, two boxes of rockets and two stimpacks. (sector 583)
If you straferun up the steps when entering the final teleporter, the walk-over linedef which opens the passage to the exit may (in rare cases) fail to trigger, forcing you to retrace your steps back to the teleporter and try again.
Areas / screenshots
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
The data was last verified in its entirety on November 29, 2021.
- The author at one point changing the map's name to "Knight's Mire", as he felt the one-word name sounded "like an Australian trying to say "nightmare.""