MAP18: Nukage Processing (PlayStation Final Doom)
|PlayStation Final Doom maps|
|Master Levels episode|
MAP18: Nukage Processing is the eighteenth map of PlayStation Final Doom, and the fifth map of the TNT episode. It is based on the PC version of MAP13: Nukage Processing from TNT: Evilution, with modifications to accommodate the PlayStation's framerate and memory limitations and add enhancements such as colored lighting. It uses the music track "Mutation".
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Comparison of versions
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 References
When the level starts, press use on the crates on your right and they will temporarily lower, allowing you to walk through them to a large outdoor area (this counts as a secret). Head east until you see an octagonal platform in front of you, then go south-east to another, taller platform. The south-east side of this tall platform is a lift which lowers when interacted with; use the lift to get on top of the platform, then run south-east to land on the rock ledge behind you. Go west into a teleporter, then go west again through another teleporter. You will be able to see the blue keycard on a platform on your right; use a running jump to get to it and pick it up.
Go north through a door flanked by techno lamps and several barrels, then go north through a large nukage pit until you reach a lift. Use the lift to reach the upper walkway and go north through the blue door. Keep going north to another lift, which will take you up to the exit switch.
Other points of interest
- In the starting room are a pair of barrels along the left wall; destroy them and open the wall behind them for a secret. (sector 65)
- Inside secret #1 are five alcoves. Open the wall at the back of the north-eastern alcove to get a backpack. (sector 101)
- Across from the entrance to secret #1 in the starting room is a stack of crates; lower them to gain access to the outside area. (sector 80)
- After ascending the first set of stairs in the level, you will arrive in a hallway with blue-grey textures on either side. A section of the wall on the east wall (opposite a barrel) opens, revealing a secret room with armor. (sector 111)
- A bit beyond secret #4 is a room with some crates and a raised L-shaped ledge. A section of the blue-grey texture on the west wall opens, revealing a medikit and a box of shells. (sector 134)
- The teleporter in the south-western corner of the large outside area will send you to a U-shaped metal hallway with teleporters at either end. The inside wall about halfway through this hall has a distinctive brown metal texture on it; open it for the last secret. (sector 24)
The sector for the nukage tank on the east side of the map doesn't have the damage effect set.
Comparison of versions
- All switches use a red/green light on metal wall texture (SW1MET2).
- Four small sectors are added south-west of the starting room.
- Crate textures throughout the level are altered, and no longer have "TNT" printed on them.
- The platform with the switch that opens the "nukage tank" containing the red keycard is shorter.
- The nukage tank containing the red keycard has silver sides instead of red fire textures. Pressing the switch to open the tank causes the walls to open like doors, instead of lowering the floor.
- The area behind the blue door leading to the exit is significantly altered:
- The room with silver tanks and nukage pool is reduced to a small chamber with two tanks that cannot be walked round.
- The red door and the room around the exit elevator (with various gory decorations) are removed. Consequently, the red and yellow keycards are now completely optional.
- The lift leading up to the exit room has been shrunk.
- When you take the pickups in the exit room, the walls open like doors to reveal the monsters hiding behind them; on PC, the monsters are on platforms that lower. The monster alcoves are shorter and only hold one monster each instead of two.
- The chaingunner found in secret #1 on Ultra Violence skill level (UV) is replaced with a shotgun guy.
- The mancubus in front of the southern door from the octagonal nukage area on UV is removed without replacement. On lower skill levels, the chaingunners that appear here are replaced with shotgun guys.
- The mancubi behind the platform holding the blue keycard are replaced with a revenant on Hurt Me Plenty (HMP) and UV. On I am a Wimp/Not Too Rough (IAAW/NTR), no monsters are present.
- The cyberdemon revealed after collecting the blue keycard on UV (or arch-vile on HMP) is replaced with three revenants. On IAAW/NTR, one revenant appears instead of two.
- A revenant protects the red keycard on all skill levels. A cacodemon should appear here on IAAW/NTR, and a pain elemental should appear here on UV.
- The chaingunners protecting the exit switch are removed without replacement.
- The Hell knights which are revealed when taking the items in the exit room are replaced with revenants on HMP/UV; on IAAW/NTR, no monsters are present.
- The barons of Hell which are revealed when taking the items in the exit room on HMP/UV are removed without replacement, as there is no space for them.
Areas / screenshots
This level contains ten spawn points:
- facing north. (thing 17)
- facing south-east. (thing 18)
- facing north. (thing 19)
- facing south-east. (thing 20)
- facing north-west. (thing 21)
- facing north-east. (thing 22)
- facing west. (thing 23)
- facing south-west. (thing 24)
- facing west. (thing 25)
- facing north-west. (thing 26)