MAP18: The Courtyard (Doom 2 In Name Only)
|Doom 2 In Name Only maps 12-20
MAP18: The Courtyard is the eighteenth map of Doom 2 In Name Only. It was designed by kongming and uses the music track "I Choose the Stairs" by Lee Jackson, originally from Rise of the Triad. The par time defined in MAPINFO is 4:30.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
Open the door on your left to enter a courtyard with a blood fountain, which is guarded by a few monsters, then open the north door to enter a stone tunnel containing a demon and shotgun guys. Open another door at the west end of the tunnel to enter a second courtyard - the red skull key can be seen on top of a pole here - then go through either doorway in the east wall to find a door leading to a room containing a brown structure. Go round to the east side of this structure to find a lift with an imp on it, ride the lift up then open the door in front of you to find a demon and a few zombies protecting a chaingun. Run north across a small gap to dispatch a Hell knight, then go to the door in the north-east corner and use the neighboring button to open it, revealing a marble room with a knight, a baron of Hell and some lost souls protecting a super shotgun. Go through an opening in the west wall and flip the switch behind it to open another door, visible through the window.
Head back through the marble room, where a couple of imps and revenants have been released, to where you encountered the first knight and open the west door to reach a red ledge overlooking the second courtyard. Go through another wooden door to the north then continue north through the large doorway you opened earlier, where a mancubus and a couple of knights are guarding a backpack. Head through another doorway in the east wall to find the yellow skull key, watching out for a couple more knights that teleport into the hall behind you.
Red key and exit
Retrace your steps to the blood fountain, where some imps have been released, then head up the steps by the west wall to a yellow key door and open it to reach an intersection; you must find two skull switches to open the west door. Go through the north door to confront some imps, demons, cacodemons and revenants, then climb up the steps at the back of the room to find the first skull switch. Now return to the intersection and go through the south door, then push past a couple of imps to drop into a blood pit; kill a couple of knights and revenants that rise from the blood, push the second skull switch by the south wall (which will release a couple of cacodemons behind you) then activate the metal lift to the west to go up to a teleporter that will return you to the entrance.
With both skull switches pressed, return to the intersection and go through the now-open west door to enter an octagonal chamber with various monsters, including a cyberdemon on Ultra-Violence and Nightmare skill levels - the entrance to the chamber will close behind you to prevent an escape. Go to the middle of the chamber and open the pentagram wall here to find a switch, which will lower the red key in the second courtyard and re-open the chamber entrance so you can leave, then go back through the map to that courtyard to collect the key - watch out for spectres that have teleported to the connecting tunnel as you go, as well as knights and an arch-vile that teleport in when you collect the key.
Just north of the red key is a skull switch which requires that key to activate, and will open the doors ahead to reveal another arch-vile along with demons and a revenant. Go through the doors to enter a yard with arachnotrons and mancubi, then head up the gray steps on the east side and open a door at the top to dispose of some zombies who are protecting a switch. Flip the switch to lower a wall just below the window, then go back down the steps and head past that wall to an open gate - the level will end as you approach it.
Other points of interest
- Open the door straight ahead at the start and take the lift up. Notice the wall on the right is slightly open. Open it for a box of rockets. (sector 200)
- In the first courtyard with the blood fountain, climb the steps on the west side, then jump east onto the bench and onto the lowered section of blood on the fountain to teleport to a secret room with a supercharge. (sector 33)
- In the wavy-walled tunnel connecting the courtyards, lower the wall on the west side to obtain a backpack. (sector 480)
- On the red-floored platform overlooking the red key courtyard, the bookshelf between the doors can be opened, where you can teleport back into the previous courtyard while collecting health bonuses. (sector 455)
- With the yellow key, go to the red key courtyard and enter the passage in the north-west corner; steps will rise and take you up to a locked door. Go through the door to find imps and knights guarding a rocket launcher, then open the gargoyle face in the north-west corner under the hanging legs to find a berserk pack. (sector 353)
- In the room north of the four-way intersection, approaching the skull switch causes the rocket launcher platform behind you to lower. (sector 147)
- At the blood pit south of the intersection, there is a lift just east of the dropoff point. Take it up and go along the walls, eventually you will move through the walls to a megaarmor. (sector 363)
- The wall behind the previous secret is misaligned - walk through it to find a teleporter leading to a hidden room near the blood fountain which holds health bonuses, a computer area map and lots of ammo. (sector 385)
- After flipping the switch that lowers the red key, return to the wavy-walled tunnel connecting the courtyards. Past secret #3 is a new room with imps and a lost soul guarding a BFG9000. (sector 483)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
The data was last verified in its entirety on April 3, 2022.
This level contains four spawn points:
- facing north. (thing 586)
- facing south. (thing 587)
- facing south-west. (thing 588)
- facing west. (thing 589)