MAP18: The Sanctuary (Doom 2 the Way id Did)
|Doom 2 the Way id Did maps 12-20
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
There are three keys in this level, but the yellow key is optional.
Open the door in front of you to enter a large outdoor area, then head north-west past some imps to a stone staircase; you cannot climb it yet as one of the steps is too high. To the north is a hall with five wooden pillars - there are skull switches on the south-west and north-east pillars that will raise the missing steps on the staircase and allow you to climb it, but watch out for imps and spectres that are released when you go to the back of the hall. Climb the stairs and kill any zombiemen and shotgun guys that have been released, then enter the southern doorway and climb up the curved steps in the next room until you drop into a water pool with a demon (or mancubus on Hurt Me Plenty (HMP) skill level or higher). Approach the marble block in the corner to lower it and reveal imps, as well as lowering the column behind you to reveal one or two cacodemons, then press the button behind the imps to lower a lift to the north so you can escape. You can now climb on top of the column to find a teleporter that goes to the north end of the map.
Press the skull switch in front of you to lower the floor and kill one or two arachnotrons ahead, then enter the opening in the east wall to find a spectre guarding another skull switch, which will lower the floor and take you to a cavern below. Head to the steps at the east end of the cavern, passing one or two spectres on the way, then go up the steps and open the door at the top to enter a room with armor bonuses. Flip the switch inside the niche in the north wall, which will lower the skull column and reveal lost souls guarding a chaingun, then run through the now-open window in the west wall to land on the platform below. Enter the teleporter here to go to a pit inside the neighboring room, then go round the corner to a skull switch and press it to raise the floor, then kill the demons waiting above (along with a pain elemental and mancubus on HMP or higher) before going to the south-east corner to get the blue skull key.
Go to the south-west corner of the room and press the skull switch here to lower the wooden platform, ride it back up to the cavern then go back to the west side and press the skull switch here to activate a lift going back up to the arachnotron hallway. Head south and east into a room with a stone bridge and cross it, then step around the brick column in front of you to find a lion switch; pressing it opens a skull switch on the north side of the bridge, but also releases imps directly behind you along with demons and one or two cacodemons. Press the skull switch to lower two walls on the south side of the room, then step past the eastern wall and push through some zombies to get back outside. Open the blue door on the north side and press the skull button ahead to lower the floor, destroy some lost souls then press the lion switches on either side of the room to lower two compartments that hold one or more Hell knights. Press a second skull button inside the western compartment to open a teleporter, then enter it to go to the platform with the red skull key.
From the red key, run south to get back to dry land then head east towards some arachnotrons - two doors here have opened, revealing a red door behind them. Go through the red door and press the lion switch behind to activate a lift, then go down to the room below and step round the metal column in front of you to find another teleporter, which goes to the room in the south-east corner of the map. Drop to the floor below and step east or west to lower the surrounding walls, revealing imps and demons on both sides, then go up either staircase to reach the northern platform and press the skull switch here; after doing so, you can run straight forward to reach the teleporter that goes back to the previous room. The surrounding walls in this room have now opened to reveal some imps - go to the west end of the room, where one or two revenants await on HMP or higher, then open the exit door and enter the lava pool ahead to finish the level.
Other points of interest
- At the start, open the section of the west wall that does not have blood on it to find armor bonuses. (sector 55) The steps lead down to a box of shotgun shells (or two piles of shotgun shells on HMP or higher), and a teleporter that goes to a supercharge.
- In the south-western room, go to the large tree in the north-east corner and open the plain wall behind it to reveal a staircase. The stairs go up to a cage with two stimpacks, two piles of shotgun shells and three backpacks. (sector 20)
- In the alley at the east end of the map, press the satyr switch by the west wall to open the southern door, then go through it and head to the south end of the room to find a box of bullets in a dead end; doing so opens a closet by the room entrance containing demons and a metal column. Press the lion switch hidden on the south side of this column to open the middle door in the alley, then get through that door before it closes to find health bonuses, a partial invisibility, shotgun shells, two energy cells and two boxes of rockets. (sector 193)
- Press the gargoyle switch on the east side of the map to open it, but do not go through - instead, head east into the alley and run to the door at the north end before it closes. Climb up the steps and go through the wall that opens at the top to find two piles of shotgun shells and a teleporter. (sector 213) The teleporter goes to the upper level of the neighboring room, where you can collect health bonuses and the yellow skull key.
- In the northern cavern, drop into the damaging blood and press the north-west wall to lower it, then head down the steps to find a plasma gun, a stimpack, a medikit and two energy cells. (sector 153) The teleporter will take you to the wooden platform above the blood.
- After opening the monster closets in the stone bridge room, stand on the bridge and run west to drop into a tunnel with a chaingun, a box of bullets, a medikit and six armor bonuses. (sector 15)
- After opening the monster closets in the stone bridge room, enter the northern closet that held demons and enter the narrow section. You can open the south wall of this section to find three rockets and a switch. (sector 254)
- Press the switch in secret #7 to lower the floor behind you, then drop down and head east into a circular hallway. Go to the east end and look at the wooden west wall, then open the section that has two pools of blood in front of it to find a gargoyle switch. Press the switch to lower a square platform to the north, revealing a dark room with a box of rockets and a switch. (sector 246) The switch raises steps outside that go up to a concealed megasphere.
- With the yellow key from secret #3, flip the switch behind the chainsaw at the south end of the circular hallway, then go back to the stone bridge and run east to land in a tunnel on that side. The tunnel contains health bonuses, and a switch that opens stairs going up to the neighboring room where you can find an energy cell pack, a box of rockets and a BFG9000. (sector 113)
- After lowering the southern walls in the stone bridge area, enter the west compartment and press use on the green firestick by the north wall. This will lower a lift to the south that goes up to a stimpack, an energy cell pack and an armor. (sector 36)
- After lowering the southern walls in the stone bridge area, enter the east compartment and go to the south end. Just before you get outside, look at the west wall to see a patch of brown vines and open the wall underneath it to find seven armor bonuses and a box of rockets. (sector 5)
- Activate the lift behind the red door and get on it, then wait for it to go back up and run south-west to the nearby ledge. You can walk through the fire wall here to find three rockets, a computer area map, a stimpack and shotgun shells. (sector 302)
- In the south-eastern room, after lowering the walls and revealing the monsters, enter the narrow passage at the west end and open the recessed wall with slime on it to find ten health bonuses, two backpacks and a medikit. (sector 300)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
|Aleksey Kamenev (4shockblast)
The data was last verified in its entirety on January 13, 2022.
This level contains eleven spawn points:
- facing east. (thing 144)
- facing west. (thing 386)
- facing south-east. (thing 396)
- facing north. (thing 421)
- facing south-east. (thing 448)
- facing north-west. (thing 508)
- facing north-east. (thing 522)
- facing east. (thing 524)
- facing south-west. (thing 617)
- facing north-east. (thing 670)
- facing north-west. (thing 672)