MAP18: The Sanctuary (Doom 2 the Way id Did)
|Doom 2 the Way id Did maps 12-20|
MAP18: The Sanctuary is the eighteenth map of Doom 2 the Way id Did. It was designed by Matt Cibulas (RottKing) in the style of Sandy Petersen and uses the music track "Waiting For Romero To Play". The par time is 3:00.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
There are three keys in the level. Two of them are required to beat the level:
In the starting area (A), open the door. In the outside (B), go left to the place with five wooden columns. You now have to press two buttons on this columns to build up the steps. A trap containing monsters will open while you pressing buttons. Now walk upstairs and enter the building. Go right and drop down to the water. Come closer to the baron walls at the corner. It will lower along with structure in the center of the room. Kill enemies and enter the alcove and press the button to lower the platform. Step on the platform, wait and enter the teleporter. Press the skull and enter the alcove at the east. Press button to lower. Go to the eastern end of the room (G), walk upstairs and enter the door. Come around the skull walls, enter the alcove to press the switch that lowers the skull walls and opens the window. Jump through the window towards the teleporter. In the red brick pit go around the corner and press the skull. Kill all the disturbing enemies and grab the blue key at the south-eastern corner of the room. Escape this room by pressing the skull switch to lower the platform.
Drop down and leave the room by entering the western alcove and pressing the switch there. Go south where there are/were one or more arachnotrons. Enter the marble room (C) and walk on the bridge to the other side. Walk around the wall and press the switch. This will open several walls as well as the alcove containing switch at the north which will open two alcoves at the southern side. Kill the enemies and press that switch at the northern alcove. Come back to the south and head to the eastern way (D). Keep going until you are in the outside area (A). Enter the blue door. Press the switch to lower. Press use on the western lion panel. Press the blue button and use the lowered teleporter. Grab the red key.
In the outside area (A), enter the freshly opened door at the east. Open the red door. In a small marble room (E), go down by platform. Walk around and use the teleporter. In the grey room (F), drop down. The walls will open when you approach closer. Kill all enemies and rise by stairs. Press skull button at the top. It will unlock your way. It also opens the door leading to the exit room. Now, jump over back to the teleporter. Enter the revealed room and walk around to open the exit door at the west. Enter the lava pool to finish.
Other points of interest
- Before going outside area when going along the eastern way in the castle (D) open the western with vines at the top of it. Pickup the armor bonuses and one box of rockets. (sector 5)
- There are two ways to get to this secret. The first way: when you press the switch at the south of the central marble room, several alcoves containing monsters will open. Also, two windows at the ground under the bridge in middle will open. Jump over from the bridge into the western window. The second way: using the room of secret#3 jump from the window into the watery pit. A wall will lower. Enter inside to that secret. Grab six items of armor bonuses, a box of bullets, a medikit and a chaingun.
- Enter the building at the south-west. Go to the left (east) and open the marble wall behind the tree. Grab the armor bonuses, two stimpacks, two shotgun shells and three backpacks. (sector 20) You can also get a quick access to the second secret.
- Take the western way at the marble room in the castle (C) and come closely against the green torch. A lift will lower at the south. Use the lift and, in the room (sector 36), grab a stimpack, a security armor and a bulk cell pack.
- In the staring area (A) you can notice that the western wall unlike the eastern one has no grim faces from where blood streams. Press use on the western wall. Grab seven armor bonuses (sector 55), walk downstairs and grab ammo for the shotgun. Enter the teleporter. Pickup two rockets, a shotgun shell and a soulsphere. Drop down using the southern pit to find yourself at the south-western building.
- You first need to visit the secret#9 as the yellow key is needed. Enter the grey room where there is secret#10 is located. Press the switch at the south that requires the yellow key. Leave the room and head to the marble hall (C). Drop down to the eastern window. Lower the lift at the end. (sector 113) Head to your left and walk upstairs. A wall to your right will open. Enter to find yourself at the other side of that place where you have grabbed the yellow key. Now, grab the box of rockets, a bulk cell and a BFG9000.
- In the extreme north part of the map, at the wooden room, drop down into the blood pit and lower the north-western wall. Go down the blood staircase. Grab two cells, a medikit, a stimpack and a plasma gun. (sector 153)
- In the outside area, go to the north-eastern court. Notice a small brown bar. Come around and press the switch on the northern segment of this bar. This will temporarily open the southern door. Enter it. Inside, enter the southern alcove. This will open the wall at the west containing demons where there is also a column. Walk around this column to press the switch on the south of it. It will temporarily open the northern lion door at the outside court. Quickly, go there. In this small room, grab many health bonuses, several ammo and a blur artifact. (sector 193)
- In the outside area, before going to the north-eastern court press the gargoyle switch. Do not enter, but go to the north-eastern court and to the northern end. Enter the opened door and walk upstairs. Grab two shotgun shells and enter the teleporter. (sector 213) At the top, grab health potions and the yellow skullkey.
- At the marble room inside the castle (C) when several alcoves are opened enter either of the northern alcoves. Come around and open the wooden wall labeled with two metallic bars to enter a small closet. Grab three rockets and press the skull switch to lower the lift. Use the eastern way at the bottom. Go to the east of the grey room and open the wooden wall labeled by two blood splats. Press the switch to lower the platform at the north. Now, press use on either door cover with blood. (sector 246) Grab the box of rockets and press the blue skull switch to build up the stairs. Leave the room and walk up these new stairs. A stand with a megasphere on it will lower, grab the sphere.
- The closet where there are three rockets and a skull switch which allows you to get to the eastern room is counted as secret. (sector 254)
- At the grey room at the south that is separated from the essential part of map (F) head to the western alcove. A wall differs from other ones by its green color. Open it to find yourself in a small closet containing ten health bonuses, two backpacks and a medikit. (sector 300)
- In the marble room that is next when you entered the eastern doors that are opened when you do grab the red key, lower the platform and step on it and wait until it rises. Jump over into the southern fire that has no dead bodies hanging. Inside a small closet grab three rockets, a shotgun shell, a stimpack and a computer map. (sector 302)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The Compet-n records for the map are: