MAP19: Cacophony (1 Monster)
|1 Monster maps|
|Final episode & Secret|
Like all maps in the megawad, the map features only one type of monster, in this case the cacodemon. It is set in a hellish environment, with fiery caverns of red rock and lava alternating with marble-and-wood torture chambers. It is the longest map in the entire megawad, and has the highest monster count.
Ammo is quite scarce on this level, and thus should be conserved. Do not hesitate to use the BFG9000 when up against large hordes.
Head through the door, grab the shotgun, and through the next door. Pick up the armor; this will open a skull wall in the previous room. Head through, upstairs, and follow the corridor to the end. Press the blue skull switch behind the door. This opens another door in the corridor. Head inside; both doors in this room lead to a large chamber with a blue skull switch at the top of a stairway. Approach the switch to open a passage in the previous room. You can also press the switch to get the super shotgun, but this will trigger an additional ambush.
Head down the newly opened passage. You will come to the room with the blue key. Press the lion switch to the north, then four blue skull switches that will reveal themselves, one by one, on the outer sides of the columns. This will allow you to pick up the blue key; doing so will open the way out.
Go back to the area near the starting room. The blue key door can be found here. Keep heading forward through several rooms and an outside area, until you come to another building. Press the skull switch here to open the door and continue your progress, remembering to pick up the rocket launcher in the library area. You will eventually make it to a fiery cavern. Head north and go down the side passage to the east; careful not to fall off, press the lion switch. This opens bars in the middle of the cavern. Go through the now-accessible passage and get the yellow skull key. This will close the door out of the library for some time; survive until it opens again.
Leave the library and head across to the yellow key door. Go through the hallway into the next room, go upstairs, and head south until you come to an outdoor balcony with a BFG9000. Press the eye switch here. This will open the bars that block access into another library area. Head east and go up the stairs, then press the switch. Make it out of the library; a skull switch has been revealed on the outer side, between the two doors. Press it to open the door out of here, and another door downstairs.
Head downstairs and through the newly opened door. Press a switch to the east, which will allow you to pick up the red skull key to the west. A blue skull switch will appear to the south-east of the room, allowing you to open the exit. Head out of the room and downstairs, through the red key door. Head forward.
Outside, enter the lift to the east and press the switch. Once you go down, open the door and head west. In the room with the pillars adorned with corpses, search the large northernmost cluster of pillars. There is a skull switch hidden among them which opens a door outside; leave the pillar room and head north this time, to the newly opened door. Make it across the lava pool and press the satyr switch. Go back to the lift and head back up.
The satyr switch has opened the passage to the south. It will lead you to a balcony with a skull switch; press it and wait for the bars blocking the northern passage to lower, while contending with the teleporting wave of cacodemons. Head through once the way is clear and keep going forward until you eventually come to a door marked as Exit. Go through and enter the outside area. There are three doors, to the north, east and west; behind each door is a switch which raises part of the stairway to the exit, but opening a door causes some cacodemons to teleport in. Once the stairway is complete, head across it and enter the exit.
Other points of interest
After you enter the first outside area and pass through the dark cave, a niche opens in the starting room, containing a shotgun, a super shotgun, a chaingun and a teleporter which allows a quick return to the outside.
In the blood-filled room with all the corpses nailed to columns, there is a chainsaw directly north of the entrance.
- In the very first room, activate the green pillar like a switch; this will reveal a corner niche with a clip (two clips on Hard); a set of 4 shotgun shells (two sets on Hard); four (Easy), seven (Medium) or ten (Hard) armor bonuses and the same number of health bonuses. (sector 35)
- Near the beginning of the level you go up a stairway revealed behind a wall of skulls. North from the end of the stairway is a door leading to the chambers with the blue key. Opposite of this door is a niche flanked by two red torches. Open the back wall in the niche to find a chainsaw. (sector 975)
- Shortly after passing through the blue key door, you will come to a room with an eye in the middle and two pillars to the east and west. Activate both pillars like switches in order to temporarily reveal an eye switch in the marble wall just before the room's entrance. Press this switch; now you can use an invisible lift in front of the high-up niche to the west. Inside the niche is a megaarmor, an energy cell (Medium only), and two (Easy), three (Medium) or four (Hard) rockets. (sector 346)
- In the first outside area, inside the cave in the middle, there is a waterfall of blood to the south flanked by two glowing skull rocks. The waterfall can be passed through, and behind it a box of rockets and a computer area map can be found. (sector 1098)
- In the small library to the south-west of the map, press against one of the southwest bookshelves. A skull switch will be revealed. Press it to slightly raise the marble tile to the west, allowing you to step off it onto the marble ledge, and from it make a running jump to the northern teleporter in the lava cavern. The teleporter will bring you into a room with a supercharge; entering this room triggers the secret. (sector 672)
- After passing through the yellow key door and a corridor, you will come to a large room with the red key door downstairs. In the south-west corner of the room is a barred-off hole. To get into the hole, climb up the stairs onto the wooden platform and jump into the inset panel on the south wall, then stand in the middle and run into the hole. Step on the red rock to trigger the secret. (sector 643) Inside the hole can be found: 40 health bonuses (Easy), a supercharge (Medium) or a megasphere (Hard); 30 (Easy) or 60 (Medium) armor bonuses; and three (Easy) or four (Medium or Hard) backpacks.
- In the blood-filled room full of pillars with crucified corpses, approach the northernmost pillar and use the hanging baron corpse. A pillar to the south will lower, revealing a supercharge. (sector 2156)
- In the wooden corridor leading to the final arena, open the blood-splattered wall. You will reveal a niche containing 60 armor bonuses (Easy) or an invulnerability sphere (Medium or Hard). (sector 2420)
Areas / screenshots
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
|UV speed||12:46.97||Ilya Lazarev (joe-ilya)||2017-09-26||1m19-1246.zip|
|UV max||20:01.09||Dylan Gill (TheV1perK1ller)||2017-09-03||1m19-2001.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on November 29, 2021.