MAP19: The Citadel (Doom 2 In Name Only)
|Doom 2 In Name Only maps 12-20|
MAP19: The Citadel is the nineteenth map of Doom 2 In Name Only. It was designed by scifista42 and uses the music track "Vampire Hunters" by Wojciech Kilar, originally from Bram Stoker's Dracula. The par time defined in MAPINFO is 25:00.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
If you zoom out the automap you will see a note saying "FOLLOW ARROWS". This hint will be useful when navigating the map.
Climb the steps in front of you and collect the armor that lowers, then follow the path that is revealed ahead to a grassy area, collecting a super shotgun, rocket launcher and berserk pack as you go. Continue north to a backpack and kill two arch-viles that are waiting behind it, approach the metal bars behind the arch-viles to lower them then follow the path to a candle, which will teleport you to the citadel entrance. Go forward until you drop into a large pit, which is guarded by lost souls - much of the grass will fall away to lava when you land on it, so consider grabbing a radiation shielding suit. Go round to the north-east corner of the pool to find the blue skull key, then go to the west side and open the locked door here to enter a tower with imps and/or revenants. Climb the steps to another door and open it to reach a bridge, then walk forward and kill a demon (or mancubus on Hurt Me Plenty skill level or higher) that appears before stepping past it to a megasphere. Taking the powerup will cause Hell knights and barons of Hell to teleport to the walls on either side; kill all of them to open the door to the citadel proper and reveal another mancubus.
Go through the entrance door and turn left, then follow the passage to confront another mancubus. You will be in an outdoor area with a stone building, the same one you saw at the start of the level - head round to the east side of this building to find a staircase between two wooden fences and kill another mancubus waiting at the top, climb up then turn right and walk past a structure with imps and/or knights to find yet another mancubus protecting a chaingun. Take the chaingun and kill the imps that are revealed ahead then head forward until you see a red arrow on the floor, which points at a blue key door being guarded by an arachnotron. Pass through the door and go to the back of the room to see another arrow pointing at a skull button, press it then head back to the stone structure to see that a large wooden door has opened in the north wall; go through this door to lower the left-hand wall, then pass that wall to enter an area with a lava fountain. Note the arch-vile standing on top of the south wall as it can attack you without being noticed.
Go up the steps south-east of the fountain and kill some spectres that appear at the top followed by an arachnotron, then press the skull switch ahead to open a door to your left revealing a lift, as well as lowering the wall to your right and bringing in a spiderdemon. Ride the lift up and follow the hallway to a ledge overlooking a throne room, turn right then follow the ledge round to a point where you can drop down to the floor below and dispose of some revenants. Approach the thrones to lower part of the north wall and release some demons, then climb the steps behind that wall and turn right at the top to find a knight (or baron on HMP or higher) guarding the entrance to a covered bridge. Follow the bridge west, killing some demons that block your path, until you walk past a pair of metal columns and see the skull switch ahead lower, then turn round to see that part of the bridge has dropped away allowing you to drop to ground level. Walk north and kill an arachnotron, take the invulnerability and plasma gun next to it then walk north into a dark passage to find the red skull key. A group of arachnotrons and a cyberdemon will be released into the area when you collect it.
Push the skull switch in the south-west corner of the arena to lower the barriers blocking your way out, then head south to return to the lava fountain area. Before going any further, head east to a red key door and open it to find a teleporter leading to a gargoyle switch marked I - you will need this to reach the exit area later. Drop out of the window to return to the fountain, then head back to the citadel entrance and proceed south to another red key door. Open it and go round the corner to an intersection with a crucifix guarded by a revenant and baron, then go through the north door from this intersection and push past some imps to the end of the hallway where a revenant guards a skull switch. Push the switch and return to the intersection, ready for one to three arch-viles that have been released, then pass through the now-open south door and push the skull switch here to reveal another hallway. Press a second switch ahead to go down to a passage with a blood crucifix, walk through it and kill the lost souls that emerge from the face walls on either side, then step through either of the face walls at the south end of the passage to open the door ahead.
You are at the entrance to a maze of curving passages. Go up the steps to a "LIGHT" sign (which you can follow to some light amplification visors if you need them) then follow the passage east to some imps, then south-east and south-west to go down a staircase to a small lava stream. Walk east to a lift and activate it to reveal a knight (or two revenants on HMP or higher), then ride the lift up and head south to a junction before taking the right-hand path to reach a hole in the wall with a dead marine inside it. Climb through this hole and go east to a room with a revenant, then continue east along the next passage until you make a U-turn down a staircase and reach another junction. Take the left-hand path, which has a red arrow in it (and an arch-vile on HMP or higher), then step past the obstruction that lowers ahead to enter a flesh-chamber where two knights and a mancubus are waiting. Go through the room to another red arrow and activate the bloody lift it points towards, slay a baron then ride the lift up and follow the tunnel to get back outside. Push the gargoyle switch on the block in the center of this area to lower some barriers that block your path to the yellow key, but use caution on HMP or higher as a cyberdemon is waiting on a platform.
Go back into the maze, where another flesh-chamber containing a knight and baron has opened; inside the chamber is a lion switch that will lower the lift again. Head back through the maze until you return to the hallway with the blood crucifix, where an arch-vile will be released; if you miss the lift leading out of this passage, you can lower it again by walking through either of the face walls at the north end of the hall. Ride the lift back up to the intersection and open the east door to find yourself back at the stone structure in the citadel, head back round to where you found the chaingun, then open the small red key door here and press the skull switch behind it to open two more doors overhead. Go up the steps either side of the switch and kill one or more knights waiting at the top, then open a door in the east wall and push past some imps to another door that leads to a staircase. Go up the stairs to a bridge with another red arrow, then run south and jump across the stone platform to reach the yellow skull key.
From the yellow key, drop to the ground then head to the north-west wall where some yellow bars have opened allowing you to reach a lift. Ride the lift up and turn right to see a door leading back to the previous room, enter it and quickly kill two barons that are released; the skull switch inside their compartment reopens the entrance doors. Go back to the lava fountain area and look for a red arrow in the north-west corner that points at a door, then pass through that door and kill any waiting imps before pressing the small button on top of the cabinet by the south wall to raise some steps next to it. Go up the steps and open the yellow key door on your left, then head round the corner to find two knights and a revenant guarding a switch marked II; after pressing it, you must head back through the map to where you found the chaingun, then head south-west from this point until you see a yellow key door on your right. Pass through this door and follow the hallway past two sets of open bars; the third set will snap shut, and a compartment holding a spiderdemon will open outside. Kill the spiderdemon then press the lion switch inside its compartment (marked III) to re-open the bars so you can pass.
Past the bars is a chapel containing lots of zombies; at the back of the chapel is a gargoyle switch surrounded by red pillars, and pressing it will raise some steps behind you but also allow arch-viles and barons to teleport in. Dispose of the monsters quickly then climb the steps to a blue skull button, which will open the door visible through the window and release some mancubi and another arch-vile, then go back outside and head through the door you just opened. Follow the red path past one or more knights and a baron to a wooden door, which will open automatically for you, then follow the dark tunnel behind it until the floor lowers and takes you down to an arena with several barons and a cyberdemon on a raised platform; the surrounding walls will also lower to reveal revenants, arachnotrons, mancubi and multiple arch-viles so use the provided BFG9000 to get rid of them. Eventually, a compartment in the south wall will open to reveal one or more revenants and an arch-vile - if you go inside that compartment you will find a dark tunnel that ends the level.
Other points of interest
- When you enter the citadel proper, turn around and head back to the lava moat. Go on the left side of the bridge and the gate should be open here, allowing you to reach the citadel through an alternate entrance. Instead of taking this alternate entrance, press on the wall where the last health bonus was to find a secret passage leading to a medikit and a lift up. (sector 439)
- Taking the lift up from the previous secret and opening the nearby door places you on the wall above the ground floor of the citadel. Look south and jump through the cage to reach a medikit, a plasma gun, an armor and shotgun shells. (sector 255)
- At the southern courtyard with lowering walls, go all the way to the end with the arachnotron and open the blue door. Inside, if you look for the arrow, you will find a switch that opens up the northern courtyard with the lava fountain, but also you will lower a teleporter behind you. Take this teleporter to appear in a bonus room where you can use a berserk pack to take out an immobile cyberdemon. (sector 1184)
- Go south-east from the courtyard with the lava fountain, and use the switch to lower the walls. Take the lift to the north up, then go east, south-east, south, east, north at the fork, then east at the fork, all the way to the room with the shotgun and supplies. If you press on the north wall here, you will lower it revealing a passage leading down into a small-scale replica of the original map. There is a health bonus, an armor bonus, and a megasphere here, along with a teleporter to the entrance of the citadel. (sector 644)
- Go south-east from the courtyard with the lava fountain, and use the switch to lower the walls. Take the lift to the north up, then go east, south-east, then east at the fork down to the floor below. The wall to the north opens up when you approach the thrones. If you press on the brown wall next to the demons, it lowers revealing a teleporter. Enter it to appear in a small area with a medikit and a shotgun, plus some imps on Ultra-Violence or Nightmare. (sector 1224)
- In the previous secret, double-back into the teleporter to appear in a different location, but re-enter the teleporter yet again. You will appear in a secret room containing a backpack, and also telefrag a mancubus if it has not been killed already. (sector 1201)
- In the previous secret, take the nearby teleporter, and when you emerge, re-enter the teleporter to appear back in the teleporter you found when you got Secret #4. Go back across the throne room riding the lift back up, then head west through the new passage and grab the box of shotgun shells along the way. (sector 1435)
- Once you pick up the red key, go back to the courtyard with the lava fountain, then take the north-west door. Head up the steps and go north to the caged area overlooking the lava. Press on the left side of the cage to open it and jump to the platform which contains a radiation suit and a box of rockets. (sector 628)
- From the previous secret, grab the radiation suit and head east, lowering the lift as you go and ignoring the teleporter along the way. Eventually you will reach a platform with a berserk pack. (sector 1025)
- Go past Secret #8 while grabbing the invulnerability to deal with the monsters. To continue, you have to get on top of the lavafall ahead. In order to do so, get on the lowest part, then jump to the rocks nearby, then jump from the rocks back to the high end of the lavafall. This can take a few tries, and you have to be quick as well since you most likely still have a radiation suit on. When you make it, follow the lava river all the way to the dead end, then go directly under the red structure here to open a passage to a platform full of supplies, including the yellow key. The northern wall also opens up, revealing several monsters on boats (if you had not obtained this secret as soon as it is placed here, these monsters may have teleported away already) and a teleporter back. (sector 1379)
- In the courtyard with the lava fountain, enter the red door to the east and take the teleporter. In the next area, re-enter the teleporter you came out of to appear in a small room containing stimpacks, a box of bullets, a megaarmor and shotgun shells. (sector 767)
- In the courtyard with the lava fountain, enter the red door to the east and take the teleporter. In the next area, go up to the switch, and jump out of the window back to the courtyard. You will hear a door open. This door is at the south end of the courtyard, just west of the south-east staircase. Enter it as quickly as you can and take the teleporter to appear in the cyberdemon pen with some medikits inside. If for some reason you have not killed the cyberdemon already, or perhaps did not get the BFG9000 to the north-east, it will be telefragged. (sector 265)
- From the entrance of the citadel, take the right fork to the red door and open it (or from the central courtyard, take the red door at the southern end). At the red cross, go north, and enter the second room on the left. Approach the cross-shaped window, and a switch will appear in the room beyond. Shoot it, then look north to see the bar blocking access to the supercharge has now been removed. (sector 205)
- In the southern maze-like region, go to the "LIGHT" room and pick up the light amplification visor, then when the room opens up, pick up the one at the south end of the room. Go back to the entrance of the light room, and a knight will guard a passage nearby that leads to a teleporter. Take this teleporter, getting rid of the demon along the way, and open the door. Open the door next to you and go around the big crate directly to your left. Inside are shotgun shells, another light amplification visor, a medikit, and a shotgun. (sector 1406)
- After heading all the way through the maze-like area in the southern part of the map, you will appear in the south-east courtyard with the yellow key. Go around the wall on the east side and behind a tree there should be a supercharge. (sector 571)
- In the same courtyard as above, there will be an energy cell pack on the block connected by wire to the bridge. You are supposed to hit the gargoyle switch on the southern part of the block to proceed to the yellow key, but instead, go to the east side of the block and look at the lit satyr switch. One section of this switch is unlit, press on this side to lower the block and claim the energy cell pack. (sector 562)
- After getting the red key, return to the southern courtyard with lowering walls and open the red door here. Press the switch, then quickly run up either set of steps to the next room, looking out for imps and knights up here depending on your skill level. Take the doors leading south-west all the way until you reach the balcony where you will see three stimpacks, two candles, and a box of shotgun shells forming an arrow at the wall. Press on the wall this arrow points to to reach a cove with a medikit, energy cells and a box of rockets. (sector 519)
- When you press the blue skull switch inside the chapel, the door to the east will open up. In the red carpet hallway, press on the north satyr switch near the entrance to reveal a passage leading to a medikit and two energy cell packs. (sector 2016)
- When you press the blue skull switch inside the chapel, the door to the east will open up, but also you will open up an area behind the platform with the computer area map. To reach it, go back to the red door you used to get secret #17 then go up the staircase on the right side. For reference, there is a large block which has risen up leading to the area you need to go. After climbing the steps to the door, make a running jump onto this block and then go through the opening, where you will telefrag a cyberdemon and appear in the exit area. (sector 1232)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
The data was last verified in its entirety on April 3, 2022.
This level contains ten spawn points:
- facing south-east. (thing 1737)
- facing north. (thing 1738)
- facing west. (thing 1739)
- facing east. (thing 1740)
- facing north. (thing 1741)
- facing north-east. (thing 1743)
- facing north. (thing 1744)
- facing north. (thing 1745)
- facing south-east. (thing 1746)
- facing south-west. (thing 1747)