MAP20: Processing Area (PlayStation Final Doom)
|PlayStation Final Doom maps|
|Master Levels episode|
MAP20: Processing Area is the twentieth map of PlayStation Final Doom, and the seventh map of the TNT episode. It is based on the PC version of MAP17: Processing Area from TNT: Evilution, with modifications to accommodate the PlayStation's framerate and memory limitations and add enhancements such as colored lighting. It uses the music track "Corrupted".
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Comparison of versions
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 References
In the starting area, go through the door ahead of you or use the second one to the east. Inside, go along the corridor to the east. At the end, turn left and climb the stairs leading into a room with computer screens. Turn left again and take the yellow keycard from a desk.
From this room, go through the east door and turn right at the bottom of the stairs. Go forward into a room with a window and press the switch in the north-west corner, which raises a bridge allowing you to reach the blue keycard. Go through the south door (which requires the yellow key) into a room with many barrels - leave these alone for now. Walk around the nukage pit to its west side, cross the bridge and take the blue keycard. A number of demons will teleport in, but they cannot reach you while you stand on the blue keycard platform. Kill as many as possible by shooting the barrels, then deal with any survivors.
Cross the bridge and leave through the yellow door on your right. Turn left and head west to the room with the large fountain. Climb the stairs and open the blue door at the north end of the room. Go through, climb the stairs and take the red keycard lying on the desk against the north wall. Numerous monsters will teleport in to the room - take the invulnerability powerup next to the keycard if you need it.
Return to the bottom of the fountain room. Go west down a corridor, open the red skull bars and press the switch behind them to finish the level.
Other points of interest
When the level starts, turn round and open the gray door behind you to reveal a partial invisibility powerup.
A megaarmor can be found on top of the fountain north of the starting area. To reach it, press use on the short blue torch west of the fountain, which will lower the nearby ledge. Run from the staircase to get on to the fountain, then press use on the pillar with the megaarmor to lower it.
- From the start, walk all the way to the opposite end of the grassy area and go through the gray door there. From here, hug the right wall until you reach a slightly different-textured wall. Open it and the green wall behind it to get to the ledge surrounding the grassy area, at the end of which is a super shotgun. (sector 46)
- In the room with the yellow keycard, there are two brown desks. Pressing use on the shorter desk in the center of the room causes a nearby floor to lower, letting you access the adjacent courtyard. There is a tall pillar with a soulsphere on top of it in one corner of the courtyard; the longer desk computer bank in the previous room lowers the pillar when interacted with. So, to get the secret, use both banks before dropping into the courtyard, then run onto the soulsphere pillar before it rises. (sector 95)
- After clearing the room containing the red keycard, take the plasma gun on the blue platform in the center of the room. This opens a door in the north-east corner of the level - go back through the blue door, and head east down the long corridor. You will see an open wall on your left; enter it and go down the hallway (sector 157) to reach another secret courtyard area.
- The second half of the hallway (sector 136) leading to the courtyard in secret #3 counts as a separate secret. Pressing the switch in this yard opens the door directly across from the exit switch, letting you access yet another courtyard, this one containing a BFG9000.
Comparison of versions
- Most staircases have fewer steps.
- A step is removed from the water fountain near the start of the level. One of the ledges west of the fountain is changed to a lift, activated by interacting with the short blue torch on the west wall.
- Meat hook decorations are added above the nukage pit in the blue keycard area.
- The east door into the blue keycard area does not have yellow door markers. Unusually for PlayStation Doom the door is not marked with a colored light, so the player cannot know the door is locked unless they try to open it without the correct key.
- The NIN and TOM lettering is removed from the hidden room west of the blue keycard area. (This is not observable, as the room can only be accessed with a noclip cheat which PlayStation Doom does not have.)
- The archway leading to the blue door has a flat ceiling.
- Arch-viles are removed without replacement.
- Zombiemen and shotgun guys are replaced with imps.
- The two Hell knights that appear in the room north-east of the blue keycard area on Hurt Me Plenty skill level (HMP) or lower are replaced with four chaingunners.
- The demon in the south-east corner of the nukage around the blue keycard on UV is replaced with a nightmare spectre.
- One of the demons that teleports in after getting the blue keycard is replaced with a nightmare spectre.
- The mancubus in the red keycard room on Ultra Violence (UV) is replaced with a revenant on HMP/UV.
- The cacodemon in an alcove by the exit switch is replaced with a pain elemental on HMP/UV. No monster appears on I am a Wimp/Not Too Rough (IAAW/NTR).
- Pain elementals in the north-western outdoor area (with the BFG9000) are removed without replacement.
- The revenant found by the lift to the central outdoor area (with the soulsphere) on HMP/UV is replaced with a pain elemental.
- The Hell knight in the tunnel leading to the northern outdoor area (with the rocket launcher) is replaced with a lost soul.
- The arachnotron in the northern outdoor area is removed without replacement.
Areas / screenshots
This level contains six spawn points:
- facing north-east. (thing 18)
- facing west. (thing 53)
- facing west. (thing 146)
- facing south. (thing 147)
- facing west. (thing 148)
- facing west. (thing 149)
Inspiration and development
- Because shotgun guys are removed, this level does not contain any shotguns in single-player.