MAP20: Speedtraps for the Bee Kingdom (BTSX-E2)
|Back to Saturn X E2 maps 17-23|
MAP20: Speedtraps for the Bee Kingdom is the twentieth map of the second episode of Back to Saturn X. It was designed by Richard Frei (Tarnsman) and Sarah Mancuso (esselfortium), the latter of whom composed the music track, "Ether." In the official add-on version, this level's name is Dr. Blockmap's Peninsula of Peril.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Statistics
- 5 Technical information
- 6 Inspiration and development
- 7 Trivia
- 8 See also
- 9 Sources
- 10 External links
Other points of interest
- In the H-shaped room with the crushing ceiling south of the starting area, the exit is a teleporter with a soulsphere behind it. To grab it, use the teleporter, then turn around and drop down to land behind the teleporter and on the soulsphere. (sector 1059)
- At the very west in the nukage canyon, there is a teleporter. Take it and drop to the right where you can and search the rock wall for an open nook (sector 106) with two energy cell packs and a BFG 9000.
- In the enormous nukage grotto with the grey stone structures, drop to the east and head south. There is a teleporter in the nukage that will warp you to a small room barred off with stone pillars (sector 1358) with a megasphere and two energy cells. Approaching the pillars causes them to lower so you can get out.
- After you're done with the lava arena with the crushing ceiling at the southeast end of the map, enter the teleporter to be warped to the stone pillar south of the nukage grotto. Hit the switch to lower it, but don't step off; instead, wait for it to rise back up, then jump off south to the balcony with the revenant; if you fail, there is a button nearby (revealed after finishing the lava arena) that lowers the pillar. There is a teleporter there that will take you to the pillar (sector 452) in the middle of the great stone hall (telefragging the mancubus atop it if it's still alive), where you can collect an invulnerability.
- From the tower with the yellow key, hop to the east to reach a cliffside (sector 1351) with a soulsphere.
- Drop to the water basin north of the rocky staircase after the locked passage. Go through the waterfall to the east to find a cavern (sector 186) with a teleporter that leads you to a soulsphere visible from where the key switches are located. The edge of the cliff teleports you to a high cliff face near where the blue key was, where you can collect two boxes of shotgun shells. Reach the edge again and you will be warped a third time, this time to a megaarmor, and again to a veranda near the red key's location, with four boxes of rockets and a lozenge switch that lowers the red key if you haven't already done it the regular way. Heading through the door sends you to another veranda with two energy cell packs, and from here you'll warp to a cave with an invulnerability. The exit of this cave warps you to a third veranda with no items, and from here you will finally be deposited at the watery valley at the east end of the map near the stairs where you started.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doomed Speed Demos Archive are:
This information was last verified in its entirety on January 20, 2018.
Inspiration and development
- This map runs into blockmap limits and required special optimizations to remain compatible with the vanilla Doom engine. However, said optimizations are not compatible with some changes in the blockmap loading code in Boom and some other ports which introduced a bug. For this reason, the archive contains a separate wad file with a different version of the map that does not make use of this blockmap optimization but consequently requires a limit-removing port. The level's name in the official add-on version alludes to these blockmap compatibility troubles.