MAP21: Nirvana (Doom 2 In Name Only)
|Doom 2 In Name Only maps 21-30|
MAP21: Nirvana is the twenty-first map of Doom 2 In Name Only. It was designed by Matt Powell (cannonball) and uses the music track "Eruyt Village" from Final Fantasy XII, created by Hitoshi Sakimoto. The par time defined in MAPINFO is 3:00.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
You start inside a house at the center of the map - as soon as the level starts, grab the backpack and berserk pack to your right. Shoot the button on the north wall to open the door next to it, then go outside and drop into the moat surrounding the house before heading west along a river to a wooden dock. Climb on to the dock and head north through a doorway, which has one or two demons waiting on either side of it, then head down the steps on your left to a small room where a zombieman and one or two Hell knights (which can teleport behind you) are guarding the red skull key; the room also holds a shotgun on Hurt Me Plenty skill level or lower, or a shotgun guy on Ultra-Violence (UV) and Nightmare (NM). Take the red key and head back to the house, watching out for one or two revenants that are waiting on the dock as you go.
Back at the house, use the lift on the north side to get back up to ground level, then climb up some steps to the north to find a dirt path leading to a cavern. Go inside the cavern, which is guarded by an imp and one or more demons (plus revenants on HMP or higher), then head to the north side to find a zombieman/shotgun guy guarding the blue skull key. Taking the key will release up to six demons in the middle of the cavern, and as you return to the house a demon (or knight on HMP or higher) will teleport in to ambush you. When you get back to the house, head round to its east and west sides to find two locked doors that have a switch behind each of them; these switches will lower two barriers that block your path to the yellow key, but will also allow a lost soul and revenant to teleport outside (or a pain elemental and arch-vile on UV and NM).
Leave the house and go to the path south of it, which you can follow to an area with two demons and a mancubus that teleports in. Enter the brick structure in this area and press the skull switch inside it to open a tunnel next to the yellow key door opposite, then go inside that tunnel and push past some lost souls to drop into a marble room with some imps. The yellow skull key can be found at the south end of the room along with a super shotgun, and approaching these items will open a monster closet behind you with one or two cacodemons; enter the teleporter inside this closet to go back outside, then open the yellow key door in front of you to reveal one or two arch-viles protecting the exit portal.
Other points of interest
- Outside of the house at the start, go to the south end of the house and press on the wall between the torches for a megaarmor. (sector 44)
- Look behind the east torch in the red key room to see a shootable button. Shoot it and go back to the staircase to find a chaingun. (sector 159)
- Enter the tunnel next to the yellow key door once you open it, and go until the first fork, where you should turn left. Before dropping down, press use on the red torch here (as opposed to the other torches which are green) and then drop down. A room to the north will be open, containing a rocket launcher and ten health bonuses. (sector 218)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
The data was last verified in its entirety on April 3, 2022.
This level contains eight spawn points:
- facing south-west. (thing 184)
- facing south-west. (thing 185)
- facing south-west. (thing 186)
- facing south-west. (thing 187)
- facing north-east. (thing 188)
- facing south-east. (thing 189)
- facing south-west. (thing 190)
- facing north-west. (thing 191)