MAP22: Quarry (PlayStation Final Doom)
|PlayStation Final Doom maps|
|Master Levels episode|
MAP22: Quarry is the twenty-second map of PlayStation Final Doom, and the ninth map of the TNT episode. It is based on the PC version of MAP24: Quarry from TNT: Evilution, with modifications to accommodate the PlayStation's framerate and memory limitations and add enhancements such as colored lighting. It uses the music track "Beyond Fear".
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Comparison of versions
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 References
In the starting room, turn round and go through the west tunnel. When you reach a white cave, turn left and go south until you reach an outdoor area. Pass the lava pool and go south-east into a tunnel with lava. Quickly follow the tunnel until you see a teleporter lower in front of you and step into it. You will be sent to the eastern tower in the outdoor area - when the floor rises, take the blue keycard in front of you.
Drop off the tower to the second floor of the outdoor area, and head to the blue door in the south wall of the area. Press the switch inside to finish the level.
Other points of interest
An invulnerability powerup can be found in the eastern cavern, on the west platform. To reach it, start from the north cavern and leave through the south exit, then go south-west up a staircase. At the end, drop down to a red ledge and then run forward to collect the powerup.
There are lifts on the east and west sides of the outdoor area flanked by floor lamps, which will take you up to ledges. On the west ledge, go south to find a partial invisibility powerup and go north to find a plasma gun in a small cave. On the east ledge, go south to find a BFG9000 (multiplayer only) in a small cave.
- At the south-west part of the outdoor area, there is a U-shaped corridor. Go to the southern part of the corridor with a blinking light and shoot the north wall in this sector. The wall will open a room with armor, a super shotgun, a stimpack and a box of shells. (sector 79)
- In secret #1, step on the lift at the north end of the room to trigger another secret. (sector 81)
- East from the level exit, there is a corridor leading to a teleporter, which takes you to the eastern tower (with the blue keycard). Halfway down the corridor is a translucent wall with a radiation shielding suit behind it. (sector 92)
Some monsters will never spawn on this level either due to having Deathmatch-only flag set or simply lacking difficulty options:
- Four imps (things 119 through 122) in the south-eastern elevator-like teleporter.
- Three chaingunners (things 10, 124 and 125) and an imp (thing 53) in the north-western elevator-like teleporter.
- A revenant (thing 158) in the north-western cave with a small lava pool and a burning barrel.
- Four imps (things 226-229) in the eastern lava cave.
Comparison of versions
- Dead player decorations are removed from the level.
- The twitching hanging victims in the north cavern are changed to meat hooks.
- The ceilings in the lava-filled cavern on the east side of the level are lower. The skull pole on the middle platform has been moved a few steps south.
- The lava pool in the center of the outdoor area has a different shape.
- A different texture is used for the elevators in the outdoor area.
- The islands in the lava corridors north-west and south-east of the outdoor area have simpler shapes.
- The ledge past secret #2 in the south-west corner of the map has a translucent texture instead of an opaque one.
- Secret #3 is hidden by a translucent wall instead of an opaque one. The alcove is slightly larger as well.
- The exit room has rock walls instead of computer textures, and the exit switch is recessed.
- One of the spectres in the north room is replaced with a nightmare spectre.
- The revenant guarding the exit switch on the Hurt Me Plenty and Ultra Violence skill levels is replaced with a chaingunner.
- This level uses the red rock sky recognizable from the Inferno episode of Doom, instead of the red sky used in TNT's later levels.
Areas / screenshots
This level contains ten spawn points:
- facing east. (thing 1)
- facing south. (thing 2)
- facing west. (thing 3)
- facing west. (thing 4)
- facing east. (thing 24)
- facing south-west. (thing 26)
- facing west. (thing 54)
- facing east. (thing 112)
- facing north. (thing 114)
- facing north. (thing 115)