MAP22: Triad of the Minds (1 Monster)
|1 Monster maps|
Final episode & Secret
Like all maps in the megawad, the map features only one type of monster, in this case the spiderdemon. There are only three of them in the map, but the player is expected to defeat them by trickery, navigating trap-filled chambers so that he can kill the monsters via crushers and telefragging.
Press the switch to lower the lift and quickly take cover before getting killed by the spiderdemon. Head east, press the switch in the room to the south-east in order to lower the obstacle, and proceed forward. Go east to press another switch that will clear the way. Head through, press the switch to the north-west, which will open bars to the east of the room and allow you to press another switch. Now you can leave this room by going west. Head forward and open the door. Rush forward toward the health bonuses to avoid a crusher. Carefully head through the crushers. Grab the yellow key and stay close to the wall, as another crusher will be activated above you. Head back, through the door, and open the yellow key door.
Grab the chaingun to the north and several passages will open. Head south until you come to a large room with a hanging body. There is a switch to the east, so press it to open the two passages to the west. You can tackle these passages in any order.
Upstairs, you will find a room full of pillars, with a spiderdemon in a cage. You have to find and press three switches, but beware: each switch you press will remove some of the pillars and deprive you of some of the cover from the monster's gunfire. The switches are located:
- Directly north of the room's entrance
- In the north-western corner of the room
- Next to the south-western corner of the cage
Once all the switches are pressed, a teleporter will be revealed to the east of the room (near the first switch.) It will take you to a mazelike cavern filled with lava. A single radiation shielding suit is provided at the entrance, and you need to find the exit before it runs out, or you will take heavy damage. From the entrance, take a left and go west as far as you can, then take a left at the end of the passage. You will come to a lion switch which opens the bars to the exit. Press it, then head back east and, when near the entrance, turn south and keep going. Head through the door, into the pit and into the teleporter. You will telefrag one of the spiderdemons. Press the skull switch.
Upstairs is a room full of crushers. By consulting the automap you can see where the safe spaces to stand are. Make it to the south-east of the room. You will then need to make it past a bunch of smaller crushers; as soon as all of them are rising, run underneath. Enter the teleporter. In the blood-filled maze, you will have to find and press four switches, all while avoiding the roaming spiderdemon.
- The first switch lies to the north-east of the maze.
- The second switch lies north-west of the round column that can be found to the south-west of the maze.
- The third switch is blocked by bars which must be removed by pressing the first switch. It can be found in a side passage off the short north-south corridor which connects two west-east passages to the south of the maze.
- The fourth switch is blocked by bars which must be removed by pressing the second switch. It lies at the end of the maze's central west-east corridor.
Pressing the third and fourth switches opens the passage to the south-east of the maze. Enter it and head forward through the darkness until you come to a teleporter. Entering it will bring you back to the level's main area and will activate crushers that will kill another spiderdemon. Once it is dead, drop down to its platform and press the skull switch.
Once both of the skull switches are pressed, a secret door opens between two green torches in the large room with the two passages. There is a plasma gun inside and some energy cell packs. When you pass through this door, stairs will appear to the east of the large room. Head up the stairs and enter the teleporter to telefrag the final spiderdemon. Press the satyr switch, drop down and get the red key. Use it to open the nearby door and enter the exit.
Other points of interest
Completing either of the side areas (the lava maze, or the blood-filled area) reveals a teleporter in the large room which can be used to go back to the side area's final teleporter, and subsequently, to one of the spiderdemons' platforms.
- In the room with the pillars where you seek out the three switches, near the north-west there is a wall with a lion face on it. Open the nearby northern wall to reveal a partial invisibility. (sector 164) Note that the wall can only be opened once.
- In the same room, once all three switches are pressed, you can head down a passage to the north-west of the room, next to one of the switches. Inside is a megaarmor. Picking it up triggers the secret. (sector 190)
- In the large room with multiple crushers, there is a passage to the south-west, at the end of which is a supercharge. Pick it up to trigger the secret. (sector 310)
Areas / screenshots
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
|UV speed||0:10.91||Tatsuya Ito (Tatsurd-cacocaco)||2008-11-24||1m22-010.zip||Cross-listed from Pacifist|
|NM 100S||3:37.34||Tatsuya Ito (Tatsurd-cacocaco)||2008-11-25||1m22n337.zip|
|UV pacifist||0:10.91||Tatsuya Ito (Tatsurd-cacocaco)||2008-11-24||1m22-010.zip|
|NoMo||0:08.83||Vasily Vasilyev (38_ViTa_38)||2016-07-29||1m22xo883.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on November 29, 2021.
- According to scwiba, of the shotgun and chaingun is to shoot the spiderdemons to interrupt their attacks.