MAP23: Dis (Console Doom)
|Console level navigator|
|Jaguar, 3DO, GBA|
|◂||Fortress of Mystery||▸|
MAP23: Dis is the final level of Atari Jaguar, 3DO, Sega 32X and Game Boy Advance versions of Doom, based, as a renamed level, on E2M9: Fortress of Mystery with modifications made to accommodate consoles' limitations. The author of the conversion is American McGee and the original author of the map is Sandy Petersen. This level should not be confused with the original PC level, E3M8: Dis, which this level replaces as the end of Inferno.
The level was renamed back to MAP55: Fortress of Mystery in the Sony PlayStation and Sega Saturn versions, and, like the PC version, is now the second secret level in the game, though accessed from MAP15: Spawning Vats instead of E2M5: Command Center. The author of this conversion is unknown. Completing this level takes the player to MAP16: Hell Gate.
In the Sega 32X version of the game, this level can only be accessed if the player completed all the previous levels from the first level without cheating or use of the level selection feature. It is preceded by MAP15: Spawning Vats in this version of the game, as levels 16 through 22 (comprising the entirety of the Inferno episode) were cut due to ROM cartridge size restrictions for this version.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Comparison of versions
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Music
- 5 Deathmatch
- 6 Statistics
- 7 Technical information
- 8 Inspiration and development
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Navigation
Other points of interest
- (sector 3)
There are two computer area maps and after picking the first, no matter the order, you can not pick up the second, leaving the items at 75% at most.
Comparison of versions
Although the original map was geometrically simple enough, this console conversion changes the following:
- The surrounding lava and the water pool were deleted altogether. The soulsphere which was on the water pool was not deleted.
- The baron of Hell corpses in the second room were replaced with crucified human bodies, and the cages are now removed too.
- The final room is now much more spacious compared with the original map version. This is done to accomodate the increased player radius. In the same room, all the wall panels were replaced with wooden doors. However, the player still needs to manually press the switch to open the first door with the skull key.
- There are four new items added in this map version: three cell charge packs and a berserk pack in the cacodemons room.
The PlayStation and Saturn ports feature some additional modifications:
- The crucified human corpse wall textures were removed.
- There is an exit switch at the end of the level, instead of the portal.
- At the same room, keycard bars were replaced with skulls, textures exclusively reappearing in these ports as redrawings from the original Doom (similar modification is done on MAP19: House of Pain, MAP20: Unholy Cathedral and MAP21: Mt. Erebus of Jaguar-based levels).
Areas / screenshots
Atari Jaguar screenshots
Sega 32X screenshots
Sega Saturn screenshots
Game Boy Advance screenshots
The map uses the following music tracks:
|Atari Jaguar||"On The Hunt"||Robert Prince||Only plays in the intermission screen after the map is completed.|
|3DO||"Sign Of Evil"||Robert Prince||Re-orchestrated version played by live band|
|Sega 32X||"Demons on the Prey"||Robert Prince|
|Game Boy Advance||"Facing The Spider"||Robert Prince|
|Sony PlayStation||"Lurkers"||Aubrey Hodges|
|Sega Saturn||"Retribution Dawns"||Aubrey Hodges|
This level contains eight spawn points:
- facing north-east. (thing 43)
- facing north-west. (thing 44)
- facing south-west. (thing 45)
- facing south-east. (thing 46)
- facing south-east. (thing 47)
- facing north-east. (thing 48)
- facing west. (thing 49)
- facing south. (thing 50)
Inspiration and development
- This level is shown during the first and third demo rotations in the Sega Saturn port. Both are exactly identical.