MAP23: Tower of Babel (PlayStation Doom)
|Console level navigator|
|◂||Tower of Babel||▸|
MAP23: Tower of Babel is the twenty-third level in the Ultimate Doom episode of the PlayStation and Sega Saturn versions of Doom. It is a console conversion of E2M8: Tower of Babel, original authored by Sandy Petersen. Unlike its PC version counterpart which occurred in The Shores of Hell, this level serves as the ending of Inferno, replacing E3M8: Dis.
This level should not be confused with the level of the same name which was present in earlier console ports; that level appears instead in the PlayStation and Saturn ports of Doom as MAP16: Hell Gate. It is preceded by MAP22: Limbo and is followed by MAP24: Hell Beneath (which is a part of Thy Flesh Consumed). There is no text screen after completion of the map.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Comparison of versions
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Music
- 5 Deathmatch
- 6 Statistics
- 7 Technical information
- 8 Inspiration and development
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Navigation
Other points of interest
There are no official secrets in this level.
Comparison of versions
- The surrounding outside room is more rectangular rather than diamond-like.
- The PlayStation version uses the animated hell flame sky effect rather than the static Deimos sky texture.
- A room with a portal was added to the north of the map as an exit. After killing the cyberdemon, the level does not automatically end but instead, the metal door opens to let the player into that room. This means that the player has to find the exit manually.
- Mancubi from Doom II were added, scattered into the large arena to increase the difficulty. Four of them spawn on Hurt Me Plenty skill level and eight are spawned on Ultra-Violence skill. None will spawn on first two easy skill levels, however.
- Other floor texture variations are used: the arena uses grass instead of dark gray rock and the four rooms next to the start, as well as the starting room itself, use dark gray rock instead of a silver rock.
- In the starting room there are corpses of people instead of barons of Hell.
The Saturn version features some additional changes from the PlayStation port:
- The cityscape texture from Doom II is used as a sky instead of animated hellish flames.
Areas / screenshots
The map uses the following music tracks:
|Sony PlayStation||"Sanity's Edge"||Aubrey Hodges|
|Sega Saturn||"Beyond Fear"||Aubrey Hodges|
This level contains seven spawn points:
- facing north-east. (thing 57)
- facing south-west. (thing 58)
- facing north. (thing 59)
- facing east. (thing 60)
- facing south. (thing 61)
- facing west. (thing 62)
- facing south-east. (thing 63)