MAP23: Walken in a Winter Wonderland (32in24-14)
MAP23: Walken in a Winter Wonderland is the twenty-third map of 32in24-14. It was designed by Shadow Hog, and includes a circular arena based on MAP15: Mark It Zero from 32in24-12, as well as a secret object borrowed from 32in24-13 MAP01: LET THE BURGERS HIT THE FLOOR. It uses, as the music track, an example MIDI version of "Winter Wonderland" released by the Roland Corporation.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Statistics
- 5 Technical information
- 6 Inspiration and development
- 7 Trivia
- 8 See also
- 9 Sources
- 10 External links
Other points of interest
- At the start of the level, there is a clear path through the dead trees to the west. Head through to find armor. (sector 103)
- When you reach the door in the second room, instead of going through it, run north and press the middle of the diagonal wall. This opens a secret passage to a giant hamburger that you can climb to collect a plasma rifle and some cell ammo. (sector 115)
- Within the hedge maze, there are seven dead ends where you find some ammo and two health or armor bonuses. To open this secret, you must visit all seven of these areas. Doing so causes a wall to open in the northwest of the maze, next to the armor bonuses, which leads to one of each big ammo item and a backpack. (sector 79)
- In the circular arena, the switch (linedef 4389) across from that which opens the teleport pad in the center appears to do nothing. In fact, this lowers the wall to the north of the arena behind the landing spot, where you can collect megaarmor. (sector 69)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doomed Speed Demos Archive are:
Inspiration and development
- The final room of the level includes a detailed, monochrome portrait of Christopher Walken drawn on the floor. It is based on a black-and-white photograph of Walken taken by Platon. If you approach the exit portal and then turn back, you will find a message on the ground reading "A beautiful sight, we're happy tonight -SH"; this is a quote from the lyrics to "Winter Wonderland".
- Secret #3 contains a sector-based picture of Kumamon, the yuru-chara mascot of Kumamoto Prefecture, Japan. The Japanese message below it, "バックパックだモン" (bakkupakku damon), means "It's a backpack!", with damon instead of desu being the character's verbal tic.