MAP24: Factory: Conversion Chapel (Strife)
|Strife levels (13-14 & 20-25)
Commons and Factory
- 1 Overview
- 2 Walkthrough
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
You visit the conversion chapel seeking the converter being used by the Order to transform citizens into acolytes. After finding and shutting down the machine, you learn from BlackBird that the Oracle was right about Macil's treachery, as he has knowingly sent two hundred men to their deaths.
Head through the door and destroy any sentinels and reavers in the next room. The path to the east is blocked by two sets of bars, and to open them you will need to find two crystal keys elsewhere in the level. They can be collected in either order.
Red crystal key
Go through the north door from the starting area to a room with a low ceiling. Cross the room and flip the switch at the north end, watching out for the templar and any stalkers that ambush you. Flipping the switch lowers some barriers in the center of the room; go through these and step on the Sigil tile, watching out for the crushing ceiling above, and go through the west wall that lowers. Go up the staircase, slay the templar waiting at the top and turn right, go down some more steps and turn left, then go straight ahead to a set of bars which will open as you approach. Go through the silver door and climb the steps to collect the chapel key.
Retrace your steps to the corridor where the bars lowered, then turn left and left again. Head down a steep set of steps and turn right at the bottom to see a wooden door that requires the chapel key. Go through and a ceiling will lower in front of you with a switch; flip this and turn round to go through the stone barrier which lowers behind you. Enter the water ahead and jump up the green steps to the top, then follow the walkway to the red crystal key. Taking the key releases a number of stalkers into the water area. As you backtrack to the starting room you will also find that a templar has appeared at the south end of the water pool, and crusaders have been released near the staircases leading to the room with the Sigil tile.
Blue crystal key
Return to the starting area and go through the south door. Follow the walkway and jump across to the central platform. (The green water in this area inflicts damage at regular intervals. If you fall in, use the passage on the west side to climb back out.) Pulling the switch will temporarily raise two platforms to the east and west; you need to cross both platforms and flip the switches in the chambers beyond. The west switch is protected by a crushing ceiling so you will need to time your approach.
When both switches are activated, return to the central platform and step on a floor to the south that has risen, then jump south to another rising floor and climb either staircase. Slay the acolytes here and take the blue crystal key from a hole in the south wall. Watch out for the two crusaders guarding the door back to the starting area.
With both crystal keys, return to the starting area and flip the switches on either side of the bars blocking the east doorway. Go through to a tall room with eight alcoves that all contain templars. Fight or ignore them as you see fit (they will not attack as long as you avoid firing your weapons) and climb the steps at the east end of the room, then go through the door at the top and take the teleporter beacon behind it. Climb the green steps and kill all the enemies in the converter chamber, then climb the steps leading up to the machine and press the control panel with hazard markings to shut down the converter. Doing so awards a stamina and accuracy upgrade.
BlackBird will inform you that Macil has "gone nuts" and demands vengeance. Press the small button next to the converter switch to open a teleporter behind you, then step into it to return to the starting room. You now need to backtrack to the Front's new base in order to confront Macil.
Other points of interest
There are no official secrets in this level in the original game. The Veteran Edition changed areas #1 and #2 below to official secrets.
Notice that by destroying the converter (by pressing the control panel), you will close the path to a switch that is needed to access all three secrets.
- In the converter hall, there is a small switch on the right side of the machine's control panel. When you press the switch, a door will open on the southern wall of the converter. Go there and press a second switch at the end of the revealed alcove. A metal bar will open in your proximity, and you are now able to enter the area beyond the bars. There is a green computer screen and yet a third switch. Hit it, and you can enter a small room where 100 gold coins, two surgery kits and two medical kits are kept. (sector 6)
- The third switch has also raised a metal bar on the northern side of the converter. Go to the new area, press the obstacle to lower it as a lift and walk under the open bar in front of you. Enter the doorway at the end of the passage to find a valuable stash. (sector 14) There are various health and ammunition items and 50 gold coins. Notably, a mauler can also be found here that you can take, if you did not collect one from the warehouse in the Bishop's fortress.
- By activating the small switch next to the converter's control panel, you will lower a wall at the northern end of the level where you found the red crystal key. The area beyond the wall contains a new entrance to the catacombs. It offers an alternative route back to the Order commons which represents a significant time saver for speedrunning purposes.
Areas / screenshots
This level contains fifteen spawn points:
- facing north. (thing 125)
- facing south. (thing 215)
- facing south. (thing 216)
- facing north. (thing 217)
- facing south. (thing 218)
- facing north-west. (thing 219)
- facing north-east. (thing 220)
- facing north. (thing 221)
- facing south. (thing 222)
- facing south-east. (thing 223)
- facing north. (thing 224)
- facing south. (thing 225)
- facing east. (thing 226)
- facing east. (thing 227)
- facing west. (thing 228)
* In the beginning, there are eight zombie peasants, but a separate zombie spawner thing creates new ones regularly.