MAP24: Hell Beneath (PlayStation Doom)
|Console level navigator|
MAP24: Hell Beneath is the twenty-fourth level in the Ultimate Doom episode of the PlayStation and Sega Saturn versions of Doom. It is based on the original E4M1: Hell Beneath, with modifications made to adapt the map to the consoles' memory and speed limitations. The author of the original map is American McGee.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Comparison of versions
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Music
- 5 Deathmatch
- 6 Statistics
- 7 Technical information
- 8 Inspiration and development
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Navigation
- 11 References
Take the shotgun and enter the open area. Shotgun guys will start spawning here, so repel their attacks. Afterward, head past the red door into the arch. Inside, turn right and push the switch at the end. Return back to discover a wall opened at the west revealing western area. Go there and turn right. You should notice an entrance to the building at the bottom. Carefully jump there and go to the southern end into a room. Here you can find red skull key. Taking this will spawn numerous enemies around the level and in this room, so repulse their attacks. To escape either push a wall in the second room leading to the western courtyard or use the lift at the entrance to the first room.
Backtrack to the starting area and open the red door. Walk around the metal wall and kill the imps behind it. Find the blue skull key here, but note that once you take it, some enemies will spawn around.
With the blue key you are ready to exit the level. Go back to the western area you first found red key and open the blue door. The teleporter pad is the finish.
Other points of interest
- There is a secret lift in the first open area. If you fall down into the slime pool you can lower this lift to the right of you. This discovers two boxes of rockets and a rocket launcher. Quickly, take them and push a wall to your left. You will also discover a secret room with two teleporter pads. (sector 71) Each one brings you to one of ledges at the beginning where shotgun guys awaited you to enter. Take the supplies on the first ledge and go back to the secret room to teleport on the second ledge.
- When you possess the red key, open the red door at the beginning. In the room, notice the red torch to the left. Push it, and central metal structure will lower. (sector 27) Once you cross the west side of it the outer walls of the room will raise. Go away them, as they crush. If you make any noise, two Hell knights will spawn here. To lower the outer wall, flip the switch. Sometimes, this secret is hard to register.
- (Saturn only) Raising the walls in the red key room (previously containing Nine Inch Nails reference) will reveal a glitchy manner of how these are rendered to the display . Whilist the walls will not be drawn at all, allowing to see other parts of the room through them, when starting new game via password menu, or will be filled up with a randomly selected texture from the remnants in the VRAM if any other level was played before. In the PlayStation version it originally had smashed skulls texture.
Comparison of versions
The red key is moved further away from the bars due to the fact that players in all ports based on the Atari Jaguar code base are wider than the PC equivalent, which otherwise would have made accomplishing the red key item bump trivial in this version.
The Nine Inch Nails reference formerly to be found in the secret behind the red key door has been removed, either to reduce the size of the level in memory or because of trademark concerns. While the secret itself still exists, the floor within it is plain and level.
The barons of Hell which were to be found in the original version of this map, and accounted for a good deal of its steep difficulty, have all been replaced with Hell knights. This is true in several of the other maps taken from Thy Flesh Consumed.
Areas / screenshots
The map uses the following music tracks:
|Sony PlayStation||"Hopeless Despair"||Aubrey Hodges||See PlayStation Doom music.|
|Sega Saturn||"The Broken Ones"||Aubrey Hodges||Also heard in Plant and Command Center. See Saturn Doom music.|
This level contains four spawn points:
- facing south. (thing 98)
- facing east. (thing 99)
- facing east. (thing 100)
- facing north. (thing 101)
Inspiration and development
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm3sw0NPSLU - Saturn Doom Hell Beneath Wall Glitch