MAP24: Post Mortem (Hell Revealed)
|Hell Revealed maps 21-30|
According to the Hell Revealed info pack:
- The very hardest map in Hell Revealed. This one is a complete murder - only for the very best players. And there are too many things to save the game on Ultra-Violence, so unless you are really good, try a lower skill or the "shortcut way" (get jumped by the archviles [sic] in the BFG area to the final switch and quickly run to the end).
- This level is an underground structure. That blood is dangerous - watch your radiation suits and don't fall. Mistakes are not forgiven here!
- A special credit goes to Kai-Uwe Humpert for recording this one, and with a great lmp, too!
- Size: medium
- Difficulty: you're dead
This is perhaps the hardest map in Hell Revealed (especially on Ultra-Violence since you cannot save due to the number of things), as there is virtually no cover unless you improvise and make some. There are bound to be enemies located on every single perch or platform you come across. Skillful dodging will really save your health here.
It is imperative that you eliminate all revenants and cacodemons when you start—unless you have the BFG9000 when you start, jumping into the blood pool below, grabbing a radiation suit, and eliminating the revenants with the rocket launcher is your only option of surviving here; you will be beaten to a bloody pulp if you try to take them on at the beginning.
The cacodemons will swarm you after; kill them also, or else you will be attacked in all directions by them.
The two pillars that repeatedly spawn in mancubi will be particularly be troublesome; if you can, ignore them (unless you are going for a UV max run or something similar), as it is not worth it to unload too much ammo at the mancubi.
Megaspheres are plentiful throughout this level, but they must be used sparingly.
Above all else, be prepared to fight until your last breath-you will not be greeted with a red carpet the moment you enter the level. Make sure you have the BFG9000 prepped up with tons of energy cells, because you will need it!
- When following the bridge from the starting platform north you will trigger two alcoves with arch-viles to open west and east of it. Both alcoves together register as a secret. (sector 30) Straferun in from the bridge and find one bulk cell in each one.
- After raising the stairs on the platform with the red keycard bars you can straferun from the top of the stairs to the platform north of it and get a megasphere. (sector 128)
- From secret #2 you can straferun to the octagonal platform north of it to get 2 bulk cells. (sector 118)
- Directly east of secret #3 is a structure with a corridor running in its middle from west to east. Drop down in the blood and enter the teleporter in the middle of that corridor. It will take you to the oval platform in the southeast with the columns. There is a megasphere, lots of rocket boxes, 2 bulk cells and a BFG9000 there. (sector 9)
- From the stairs of the large building east of the starting face northwest. You will see a structure with a winding corridor leading in. Drop to the blood and find an invulnerability artifact there. (sector 29) Because the blood in this corridor does not harm you, this is a safe place to eliminate the cacodemons and the monsters on the right from.
- At the eastern end of the map (in the blood behind the eastern building with the exit) is a radiation suit and a hole in the ground in front of it. Run over that hole to get an invulnerability artifact. (sector 140)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The Compet-n records for the map are:
|UV speed||00:17||Karim El-Sheikh (Kimo Xvirus)||2011-12-31||hr24-017.zip|
|NM speed||00:19||Karim El-Sheikh (Kimo Xvirus)||2011-12-31||hn24-019.zip|
|UV max||13:15||Eugene Kapustin||2003-08-24||hr241315.zip|
|UV -fast||15:27||Chris Ratcliff (Ryback)||2007-04-29||hf241527.zip|
|UV pacifist||00:21||Natalya Shilyaeva (QWERTY)||2002-11-14||hr24-021.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on July 4, 2020.
This level contains four spawn points:
- facing north. (thing 93)
- facing east. (thing 94)
- facing east. (thing 95)
- facing west. (thing 96)
Notable homages to Post Mortem include: