MAP24: Procrustes Chambers (Requiem)
|Requiem maps 21-30|
MAP24: Procrustes Chambers is the twenty-fourth map of Requiem. It was designed by Anthony Czerwonka, and uses the music track "Slider" by Mark Klem. In both the text file and the Requiem info pack, the level's title is rendered as Proscrustes Chambers [sic].
Procrustes is a bandit from Greek mythology who invited victims to lay in his bed, and then made them fit it by either stretching their limbs if they were too short, or cutting them off if they were too tall. Procrustes would secretly adjust the bed before his victims arrived to ensure that they would not fit it. His reign of terror continued until he was killed by Theseus, who "fitted" him to his own bed (set in the short position) by cutting off his head and feet.
- 1 Description
- 2 Walkthrough
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Speedrunning
- 5 Deathmatch
- 6 Statistics
- 7 Technical information
- 8 Inspiration and development
- 9 Trivia
- 10 See also
- 11 Sources
- 12 External links
According to both the text file and the Requiem info pack:
- Within this Gothic Castle-Like Dwelling... some Foul Smelling Chambers exist... some filled with Creatures, and some filled with rotted out Flesh ! Though some Marines before you have fallen to their fate, you must find their remains, and carry on...
Climb up the stairs at the start and you will see a room of supplies on the other side of the cage. If you look out the window, you will see a wooden demon emblem. Shoot it to raise a bridge nearby. You can also head east at the start and climb the stairs here to get to the room of supplies and shoot the emblem close to that window as well. When you raise the bridge, cross it into the room with the guillotine. There will be a mancubus and some revenants in this room, and you will find the blue skull key in the northwest corner. Grab it and leave the room, heading to the blue door near the starting point. Go through it into the big hallway, where you will see Adelusion's hanging corpse in the distance; it is actually close to the exit point. Head through the hallway until you reach a torch, then turn left and go down this path to a room that holds the yellow skull key. There is a well-camouflaged switch on the left hand wall here, which lowers the key for you. Grab it, but watch out for monsters teleporting into the room.
Now return to the starting hallway and head all the way right and up to the door. Climb the stairs here up and take the yellow door to be above the room with the guillotine. There are a few revenants along the way to the switch you need to press at the end of this hall. Head back outside the yellow door to find the outside path is now open. Head all the way down this path to retrieve the red skull key. Now return to the hallway behind the blue door, and find either red door on the left wall past the path to the yellow key. Inside will be a revenant and a pillar with three switches on it. You only need to press the switch facing west to open the bars to the exit behind Adelusion's corpse. Watch out for the monsters at the exit (Hell knights on Hey, Not Too Rough or lower, barons of Hell on Hurt Me Plenty, and arch-viles on Ultra-Violence).
Other points of interest
Once you are in the hallway past the blue door, head for the bend and look towards the left wall and you might see a piece of white rock that is lighter than the rest. This rock juts out a bit and acts as a switch. Press it to lower a lift near the torch in the hallway, which leads to various supplies and weapons.
South of Adelusion's corpse is a room where you can find a dead marine and a plasma gun in the corner. There is a mancubus in the middle and some pain elementals that emerge from the lava here. To get out, head onto the mancubus platform.
- In the cavern behind the yellow key-locked door near the exit, there is a skull with glowing eyes on the east of the southeast pillar at the eastern bend. Shoot at this skull, and then enter the brown stone room at the north of the central hallway. Look to the northwest of the room to find a teleporter with a backpack in front of it. Enter this teleporter to be taken to a pit with security armor, a berserk pack, and a computer map.(sector 215)
- Behind where you find the red key is a window into the central hallway. Stand to the southwest of the platform, and leap toward the window. If you make it in, you will be teleported into a pit containing a soul sphere, combat armor, and a light amplification visor. (sector 216)
- In the red key room, the pillar with the switch that opens the exit has two other switches on its eastern and southern sides. The eastern switch opens a secret room to the east containing corpses, a medikit, an armor bonus, combat armor, and a baron of Hell. (sector 192) The southern switch will activate a crusher above the baron. For greater success at killing the baron this way, press the southern switch before pushing the eastern one. Note that you can only open the secret door once from the west side; if you fail to enter the secret before the door closes, you will be unable to obtain it. If you are inside the secret when the door closes, however, you may open the door again at any time from the east side.
- The space underneath the crusher in secret #3 counts as an additional secret. (sector 271) If you are going for 100% Kills and are using the crusher to kill the baron, wait inside secret #3 until the baron is dead and the crusher rises before triggering this secret.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The Compet-n records for the map are:
|NM speed||05:46||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2001-09-25||rn24-546.zip|
|UV pacifist||01:02||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2008-03-18||rp24-102.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on July 6, 2020.
This level includes its own, separate deathmatch arena.
This arena contains six spawn points:
- facing south. (thing 209)
- facing north. (thing 210)
- facing north. (thing 211)
- facing south. (thing 213)
- facing west. (thing 214)
- facing east. (thing 215)
|Health & Armor||1-2||3||4-5|