MAP24: Stair City (32 in 24)
|32 in 24 maps 21-32|
MAP24: Stair City is the twenty-fourth map of 32 in 24, a deathmatch megawad. It was designed by Nautilus and uses the music track "I Choose the Stairs," originally composed by Lee Jackson for Rise of the Triad.
It was the twenty-seventh map to be submitted, arriving somewhere between twenty and half hours and twenty-three hours into the session. As the map was not initially posted in the, the exact time can not be pinpointed. According to the author, the map took twenty minutes to build.
As suggested by its name, Stair City features multiple staircases, providing quite a lot of height variation to what is otherwise a very small map - a rounded rectangle of just 1792x1152 units.
The staircases run along the outer walls of the map, and small gaps divide them into four sections. The staircase begins at the north-east corner and runs counter-clockwise around the map. A gap near the north-west corner breaks the staircase, and when it resumes, it starts from a lower elevation. The next segment is very short, as another gap halfway along the west wall breaks the staircase in the same way. The staircase now runs along the southern wall, where another staircase towards the map's centre holds the BFG9000 on its top step.
There is another break near the south-east corner, and the short segment that covers that corner is where players can find a megaarmor. These southern segments of the staircase are quickly accessible by lifts, eliminating the need to run around the entire map to get back to them.
At ground level, the gaps in the staircase each contain two player spawns and a two-way teleporter in a small alcove that links to the opposite gap. The more central part of the ground level is textured predominantly with diamond lights, and at the bottom of the ledge that the BFG sits on, players can find a plasma gun and a soulsphere.
Additionally, rocket launchers can be found near the north-east and south-west corners of the staircase. Ammo for all weapons is in relatively low supply, though an energy cell pack can be found on the stairs near the south-east corner.
This level contains fifteen spawn points. This is tied with MAP32 for the most spawn points for a single map in the WAD. Most players spawn in close proximity to - but not on top of - a super shotgun.
- In the north-west corner of the staircase, facing south-east. 72 units from its super shotgun. (thing 7)
- In the north-east corner of the staircase, facing south-west. 91 units from its super shotgun, and close to a rocket launcher, which is 453 units to the west. (thing 8)
- At ground level, by the southern teleporter, facing north-west. 91 units from its super shotgun, which is shared with spawn #12. (thing 9)
- At ground level, in front of the south-east corner of the staircase, facing north-west. 136 units from its super shotgun, which is shared with spawn #7. (thing 10)
- At ground level, by the northern teleporter, facing south-west. 91 units from its super shotgun, which is shared with spawn #6. (thing 11)
- Next to spawn #5, facing south-east. (thing 12)
- Next to spawn #4, facing north-east. (thing 13)
- At ground level, by the western teleporter, facing south-east. 91 units from its super shotgun, which is shared with spawn #9. (thing 14)
- Next to spawn #8, facing north-east. (thing 15)
- At ground level, by the eastern teleporter, facing north-west. 72 units from its super shotgun, which is shared with spawn #11. (thing 16)
- Next to spawn #10, facing south-west. (thing 17)
- Next to spawn #3, facing north-east. (thing 18)
- At ground level, in front of the north-east corner of the staircase, facing south-west. 91 units from its super shotgun. 490 units from the soulsphere, 517 from the plasma gun. (thing 19)
- Opposite spawn #13, in front of the north-west corner of the staircase, facing south-east. Slightly further distances to the soulsphere and plasma gun, at 521 and 547 units respectively. (thing 20)
- Along the southern wall of the staircase, facing north. No super shotgun, but can run straight forward to the BFG9000, which is 544 units away. (thing 21)
Areas / screenshots
|4 shotgun shells||6|
|Energy cell pack||1|
|Health & Armor||1-2||3||4-5|