MAP24: The Final Frontier (The Plutonia Experiment)
|Plutonia maps 21-30|
MAP24: The Final Frontier is the twenty-fourth map of The Plutonia Experiment. It was designed by Dario Casali and uses the music track "In the Dark" from Doom II (the same as Doom II's MAP24: The Chasm). The level's texture and architecture theme shows similarities to MAP29: The Living End from Doom II. Its name is a reference to the opening line in various older "Star Trek" television shows.
Activate the switch in front of you at the start, and you will be lowered into the northern end of a large room. Walk on top of the set of pillars and enter the teleporter at the top. Travel along the walkway and make a jump towards a large circular platform. Activate both switches and wait for a long walkway to rise to the southwest. Be careful for the pain elementals, cacodemons and arch-viles.
When the walkway has risen, walk towards a small room, and you will be in the northern end of another very large room. Activate a switch that is located at the entrance to raise the walkway around the bend in the east, and collect some rocket boxes which will be useful in fighting the cyberdemon located far away on a platform on the western end as well as other enemies. After that, run along the way until you arrive at a lift on the southern end of the room.
You will be in a small room with a blue panel and a switch. Activate the switch, and a door will open on the northwest corner of the large room. Drop down to the blood pool and go inside that room, climb the steps, get the blue keycard and return to the blue panel room. Enter it and you will be transported to the cyberdemon platform. Re-enter the teleporter and exit the level.
- At the very start of the level, rather than flipping the switch in front of you, turn around and walk through the false wall to get some ammo and a megasphere. (sector 10)
- Just left of the start point is a stairway of thin grey pillars leading upwards. Drop down between the pillars and get as close to the brown wall as you can, then you should land in a secret area with several power-ups and a teleporter out. (sector 27)
- After you reach the second large cavern area, drop into the blood below. At the eastern side of the pit is a radiation suit with a sunken staircase nearby (there is a green arrow pointing toward it). Flip the gargoyle switch at the bottom of this stairwell to lower a nearby section of the ledge above. Behind it is a secret room with a soul sphere and some ammo. (sector 100)
- Inside secret #3, open the northern (cracked) wall to reveal a teleporter to a secret area. (sector 92)
- After taking the teleporter in secret #4, continue forward and pick up the various goodies to register another secret. (sector 91)
- After picking up the blue keycard, two secrets will open. The first is in the same room as the blue door... (sector 145)
- ...and the second is located in the high fiery hallway at the southern end of the second large cavern area. In addition to storing ammo, both secret rooms also have a lot of monsters that become released after the key is collected. (sector 140)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The Compet-n records for the map are:
|UV speed||00:17||Marijo Sedlić (Sedlo)||2004-03-02||pl24-017.zip|
|NM speed||00:48||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2003-03-30||pn24-048.zip|
|UV max||02:56||Tatsuya Ito (Tatsurd-cacocaco)||2008-07-16||pl24-256.zip|
|NM100S||01:26||Jakub Razák (method_man)||2003-10-19||ps24-126.zip|
|UV -fast||04:33||Tatsuya Ito (Tatsurd-cacocaco)||2008-07-13||pf24-433.zip|
|UV -respawn||02:32||Jakub Razák (method_man)||2003-10-14||pr24-232.zip|
|UV pacifist||00:51||Adam Williamson||2002-02-19||pp24-051.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on July 6, 2020.
This level contains eight spawn points:
- facing west. (thing 286)
- facing east. (thing 287)
- facing south-east. (thing 288)
- facing west. (thing 289)
- facing north. (thing 290)
- facing north. (thing 291)
- facing north. (thing 292)
- facing north. (thing 293)