MAP25: Unstable Journey (BTSX-E2)
|Back to Saturn X E2 maps 24-26 & 31|
MAP25: Unstable Journey is the twenty-fifth and penultimate map of the second episode of Back to Saturn X. It was designed by Brett Harrell (Mechadon) and uses the music track "Weather Warning," composed by James Paddock (Jimmy). In the official add-on version, this level's name is The Blooded Library.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
Other points of interest
- From the map start, the wall to the left of the door has a different decal. This is a switch that will lower a wall to the left when you exit the starting room, revealing a staircase to a platform with six imps, a berserk pack and a backpack. The little room at the end with the plasma gun and some energy cells (sector 1860) counts as the secret. In case you miss the hidden switch at the start, you can still access this by opening the small chute in the small courtyard the secret overlooks (it requires the blue key) and use the switch behind it to lower a lift to the platform.
- On the path to the yellow key (north-central part of the map), there is a zone where you need to walk across two pillars then drop into a hole. After dropping into the hole, there is a nearby elevator with a backpack on top. The eastern wall on that area has blood marks on the bottom; press on it to find a passage (sector 1781) leading to five chaingunners and a soulsphere.
- In the small maze that leads to a red room with a BFG9000 on the northeastern part of the map, the engraved wall without the lateral stripes on the eastern part of the maze can be lowered, allowing you onto a ledge (sector 1592) with some boxes of rockets and a few shotgun guys.
- Around the center of the map and beyond the blue key door, if you ride up the lift in the bailey with the spiderdemon, you will find an extended gauntlet that leads to the computer area map. Immediately before the green-floored room with the map is a very dark passage with two thin pillars, with spectres in alcoves left and right. Press on the blinking pentagram figure at the end of that passage to open some walls in the room with the map to reveal a secret area (sector 1140) where you can jump off to collect, depending on the difficulty, either an invulnerability or a megaarmor.
- On the path to the red key, in the center-west part of the map, there is a zone where a megasphere can be observed on a pedestal up in the rocks. Nearby is an elevator which can be used to access a small room containing a berserk pack. Pressing on the pentagram-inscribed wall there will lower it and reveal a passage (sector 1428) with an arch-vile, a set of shotgun shells, two energy cells and a clip. There is also a thin window through which you can see a lozenge switch across the gap.
- Shoot the switch in secret #5 to remove the lower lip of the window, then drop down through it and make a U-turn to the left. The switch has also opened a large rocky section of the map which eventually leads to the pedestal with the megasphere (sector 1204) on the rocky wall.
- On the path to the red key, in the center-west part of the map, there is a section with lavafalls that create a pool of lava with two big stepping stones. From the rocky section with stairs immediately following this section, there is a path to an elevated level where you can get a panorama of the lava pool. From there, look west and you'll see an evil eye. Jump off to the rock ledges to its left and follow them towards the eye to reach a cache (sector 413) of three energy cell packs behind a twisted tree.
- After getting the red key and surviving the ambush, ride the elevator out of the arena to the top, and from there you can drop to a small ledge close to the evil eye (sector 951) and collect an energy cell pack.
- To the west of the red room with a BFG 9000 in the north-eastern part of the map, there is a room with a megaarmor, soul sphere, boxes of rockets and energy cell packs and a blinking "LOL" text. This room is behind a false wall over the bookcase with the blue torch in the north-west corner of the red room - the telltale is the lack of the skull decal on the wall. The only way this can be reached legally is with a chained arch-vile jump during the BFG ambush.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doomed Speed Demos Archive are:
This information was last verified in its entirety on January 20, 2018.
This level contains seventeen spawn points:
- facing north-east. (thing 2421)
- facing north-west. (thing 2422)
- facing north-east. (thing 2423)
- facing south. (thing 2424)
- facing west. (thing 2425)
- facing south. (thing 2426)
- facing south. (thing 2427)
- facing south-west. (thing 2428)
- facing west. (thing 2429)
- facing south-west. (thing 2430)
- facing south-west. (thing 2431)
- facing west. (thing 2432)
- facing south. (thing 2433)
- facing east. (thing 2434)
- facing north-east. (thing 2435)
- facing south. (thing 2436)
- facing north-west. (thing 2437)