MAP27: Unruly Evil (PlayStation Doom)
|Console level navigator|
MAP27: Unruly Evil is the twenty-seventh level in the Ultimate Doom episode of PlayStation and Sega Saturn versions of Doom. It is based on the original E4M4: Unruly Evil with modifications made to adapt to the consoles' limitations. The author of the original map is American McGee.
Unlike the PC version, finishing this level takes the player directly to MAP28: Unto the Cruel. This is due to the levels They Will Repent, Against Thee Wickedly and And Hell Followed not appearing on consoles.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Comparison of versions
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Music
- 5 Deathmatch
- 6 Statistics
- 7 Technical information
- 8 Inspiration and development
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Navigation
Go through the door in front of you. Get the shotgun in the next room and use the lift in front of you to climb to the upper floor, then go through the next door to get outside. Go down the steps and turn left. You will see the red skull key on a raised step in front of you. When you pick it up, an alcove will open next to you containing imps. Another alcove also opens outside containing demons.
Return to the outside area and look north - you will see a lion door which requires the red key. Go through it to a room with ledges on either side. press the switch on the east wall to lower the lift ahead. Take the lift to the upper floor, and you will see teleporters either side of you. Step into the left teleporter, which will put you on the west ledge, then turn left and press the first switch. This will lower one set of bars blocking the exit, and open two alcoves containing monsters.
Take the lift to the upper floor again, but this time step into the right teleporter to go to the east ledge. Turn right and press the switch, which clears your path to the exit and opens two more alcoves with monsters. Use the lift again and head straight forward to the teleport pad, which is the level exit.
Other points of interest
The first outdoor area has three lava pits in its south-west, south-east and north-east corners. Drop into the north-east pit and then step into the east alcove to find a partial invisibility powerup, as well as a teleporter to get you back to ground level.
From here, drop into either of the southern lava pits to find a hallway containing a chaingun on its south side, as well as several health bonuses in the corners.
From this hallway, go through a door to the east to find a lava pit with twelve square platforms. On the east side of this room is a ledge holding a soulsphere and an invulnerability powerup, as well as a teleporter back to the hallway you came from. Two of the columns have hidden switches, indicated by brown textures instead of green ones, which perform different actions when pressed.
- The switch on the column in the north-east corner lowers this column like a lift when pressed. From here you can run across the columns to a raised ledge that held one or two cacodemons, which also holds three medikits, as well as a radiation shielding suit, a box of rockets and an energy cell pack on multiplayer.
- The switch on one of the central columns (middle row, second from left) opens a section of the north wall. Behind it is a teleporter to secret #2.
- In the second room, take the lift up then turn left and follow the walkway until you reach a tall green firestick. Press use on it to lower the floor you are standing on, as well as a floor to the north. Go through two archways to find a berserk pack guarded by two shotgun guys. (sector 122)
- Return to the green firestick and press it again, but this time go through the first archway only. When the floor in the next room rises, you can reach a room containing a rocket launcher and two shotgun guys. (sector 119)
I am a Wimp and Not Too Rough only: Near to the end of the level, there are two lowering walls which go down when corresponding switches are flipped. But they contain one spectre each, which prevent the walls from going down. The spectres can be killed by using the rocket launcher, plasma gun or BFG9000. Doing so will allow the walls to go down (and crush the dead spectres). It is the only way to get 100% on kills at the end of the level. On Hurt me Plenty and higher, this does not occur because the spectres are replaced with (one or two) cacodemon(s).
Ultra-Violence only: In the same locations, there are two cacodemons behind each wall which block each other, leaving them unable to move or attack until one of them is killed. This bug is also present in the PC version.
Comparison of versions
A few cosmetic changes were made to this level compared to the PC version.
- The "entrance door" is removed from the starting room. A blinking red light is added to the north side of the room to represent torchlight.
- A spectre that appears in the second room on Ultra Violence is replaced with a demon.
- The barred window connecting the second room with the southern outdoor area has two bars instead of three.
- The staircase in the southern outdoor area has two steps instead of three.
- The exit has a sky texture on its ceiling instead of its floor. The floor is changed to a teleport pad surrounded by water.
Areas / screenshots
|This article or section is in need of license-unencumbered, unique screenshots which effectively illustrate the subject matter. Help improve the Doom Wiki by acquiring and uploading appropriate images and then adding them to this article.|
The map uses the following music tracks:
|Sony PlayStation||"Hell's Churn"||Aubrey Hodges||Also heard in Level 4: Command Control; see PlayStation Doom music.|
|Sega Saturn||"Sanity's Edge"||Aubrey Hodges||See Saturn Doom music.|
This level contains six spawn points:
- facing east. (thing 68)
- facing south. (thing 69)
- facing east. (thing 70)
- facing west. (thing 71)
- facing east. (thing 72)
- facing north. (thing 73)
This level contains the following numbers of things per skill level: