MAP27: Vulcana II (Community Chest 4)
|Community Chest 4 maps 21-30|
MAP27: Vulcana II is the twenty-seventh level of Community Chest 4. It was designed by Paul Corfiatis and uses the music track "Last Man Standing (Sacraficial Symphony)" [sic], originally composed by Kristian Aro for Whispers of Satan.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
Other points of interest
- Just before the main fork, there is an arrow on the automap that points north. Open the wall where it points to and you will find a berserk pack. (sector 1363)
- Just before you reach the yellow skull key, head onto its ledge, then go back to find an alcove with backpacks. (sector 1393)
- Pick up the yellow key and drop down, then head for the northwestern stairs. An opening to the right of the stairs contains a soul sphere. (sector 259)
- Open the yellow door and you can spot a skull switch in the wall slightly to the left. If you can shoot it from ground floor with a super shotgun, then you open the left wall for a megasphere. (sector 1374) An alternative way to reach this secret is by getting the red key first and then using an arch-vile jump from the arch-vile that teleports in to reach the platform, and shooting the switch from there.
- In the outdoor area past the yellow door, drop into the lava to the south (grab a radiation suit as well) and head east around the building. Spot some ammo on a red ledge and enter the cave for a teleporter, where you can pick up a plasma gun. (sector 518)
- Take the yellow teleporter in the southern marble hall to be whisked close to the beginning of the level. Follow the path as if you were going to get the red key, and just before the red platforms, open a wall to the right for an invulnerability. (sector 1395)
- Open the red door and then climb the steps to the switch. Press the misaligned wall near the switch to open it revealing a soul sphere. (sector 1351)
- In Secret #7, open the right wall for an invulnerability. (sector 1353)
- When you reach the vast hellish cavern with the lava platforms, drop all the way down to the right of the entrance. Grab a nearby radiation suit and head through the tunnel here to find a BFG9000 and some energy cells. (sector 1295)
Areas / screenshots
The records for this map at the Doomed Speed Demos Archive are:
|NM100S||03:24||Artem Safronov (SAV88)||2014-03-25||c427s324.zip|
This information was last verified in its entirety on January 23, 2018.
Inspiration and development
Another alternative way of reaching Secret #4 is to get to Secret #6 and press a switch that is present there. However, this switch is closed off at the very beginning of the level. After the arch-viles you saw teleport away one of them resides in a closet where he crosses a linedef blocking the switch off for good. The only way to reach this switch inside Secret #6 is by playing in -nomonsters mode. If you are playing in nomonsters and discover the switch in Secret #6, after pressing it, run back to the entrance of the outdoor area and you will spot an alcove with a switch. If you get it before the wall rises, press the switch to teleport onto the ledge, where you can easily shoot the switch and claim Secret #4. This switch only accessible in -nomonsters mode is similar to the one from MAP11.