MAP28: Judgement (Eviternity)
|Chapter I: Archaic|
|Chapter II: Automation|
|Chapter III: Crystalline|
|Chapter IV: Brutality|
|Chapter V: Descension|
Chapter VI: Hallowed
MAP28: Judgement is the twenty-eighth map of Eviternity. It was designed by Joshua O'Sullivan (Dragonfly) and uses the music track "Temporal Tower," originally from Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness, sequenced to MIDI. The par time is 3:45.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Statistics
- 5 Technical information
- 6 Inspiration and development
- 7 Trivia
- 8 See also
- 9 Sources
- 10 External links
You start off in a tower in a courtyard, facing south. Step out of the tower and loop back around to the north, to find goodies on top of gold columns, and a switch. The doorway behind these is the exit, blocked by a gold pillar. For now, press the switch to lower the columns, and also the walls to the northeast and northwest. Behind the walls are monsters, so be ready. In the distance, two pillars with cyberdemons (mancubi on easier skills) will also rise up, so watch out for that.
The NE and NW areas each need to be cleared to continue, but you can do them in either order.
Northwest (blue key)
Just past the gate wall is a drop down to water. Turn south (left) and you'll see a blue skull key on a stone dais. Watch out for fire from the pillar monster. Grab the key. As you might expect, monsters will begin warping in. After about 20 seconds, the water will rise, and you'll be able to return to the central courtyard.
Northeast (gold key)
Initially this will be a wide open area with a white marble floor. There is some ammo and health along the far wall, a green pillar with a supercharge on it (sadly out of reach for the moment), plus a switch block with a rocket launcher on top of it.
Press the switch, and most everything in the area -- floor included -- will drop down. Stairs will form along the back (west) walls, letting you get back up and out. You can get the rocket launcher now, and you'll also get enemies warping in all over the place. On higher skills that includes an arch-vile at the top of the stairs. Meanwhile, the gold skull key will warp in near the waterfall to the north. Grab that and fight your way out back to the central courtyard.
South (red key)
Once you have the blue and gold keys, the walls between the central courtyard and the southern area will lower. In the southern area there will be ammo scattered about, a megasphere, and a small-ish assortment of monsters. This area is very exposed to the big monsters on the pillars, so be prepared for the crossfire. The red key is in the middle of it all, on top of a gold column.
Due south is a switch block with a plasma rifle on top. Press the switch, and the block will lower, along with the walls at the sides of this area. Behind the walls are hordes of monsters. Moments later the gate walls to the central courtyard will raise up again, trapping you with the hordes. Meanwhile the large pillars with the big monsters will be slowly lowering, bring them down to ground level to join the fun. The column with the red key will slowly lower as well.
In the areas formerly holding the hordes and big monster pillars, two additional switch blocks can be found. One has a supercharge, the other the blue armor. You have to trip both switches to lower the gate walls again.
Returning to the central courtyard, you'll find a new block of switches has appeared to the north of the starting tower, one for each color key. Activate all three switches. After the third switch, the gold pillar blocking the exit doorway will begin to lower -- slowly. It's also very tall, so it takes a while. This gives the monsters that simultaneously begin teleporting in a chance to attack you.
The final monsters come in several waves, and at the highest skill level include a spider mastermind and a cyberdemon. You can fight or flee while waiting for the pillar to finish lowering. Once the doorway is clear, you can walk though, which triggers the exit.
Other points of interest
- After you trip the switch to lower the floor in the northeast (gold key) area, you can run across the tops of green pillars to get the supercharge.
- When you trip the first switch in the south (red key) area, there is a momentary delay before the gate walls to the central courtyard rise again. If you straferun (SR40) from the switch, you can make it back to the courtyard before the walls cut you off. You can then wait and let some of the monsters kill each other off. Press the switch that has appeared on the central, southern column to be instantly teleported back into the fight.
- Press the switch at the start and head for the northwest area. At the dropoff, hug the wall to the left and carefully make your way along the ledge, going south to the hole. Drop in to get a megaarmor. (sector 474) Alternatively, first get the blue key, wait for the water to rise, and now you can just walk in.
- If you trip the first switch in the red key area, run to the gate before it rises, and stand on top of the gate, you can ride it up. You can then walk on top of the walls and get trapped in various spots. Granted, it's hard to do this by accident, but Doom has a history of encouraging such exploration.
- The teleport switch from the central courtyard to the southern area is always active, even if the texture is hidden. You can trip this switch to go right to the red key column, immediately after starting. This gets monster infighting started earlier, gives you the plasma rifle sooner, and traps the big monsters on their pillars. A skilled player might even be able to rocket jump back to the courtyard without having to fight the hordes.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doomed Speed Demos Archive are: