MAP28: Unto the Cruel (PlayStation Doom)
|Console level navigator|
|◂||Unto the Cruel||▸|
MAP28: Unto the Cruel is the twenty-eighth level in the Ultimate Doom episode of the PlayStation and Sega Saturn versions of Doom. It is based on the original E4M8: Unto the Cruel, with modifications made to adapt the map to the consoles' limitations. The author of the original map is Shawn Green.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Comparison of versions
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Music
- 5 Deathmatch
- 6 Statistics
- 7 Technical information
- 8 Inspiration and development
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Navigation
Other points of interest
- In the start, turn left and press use on one of six hollows with a hanging corpse. You will hear a marble wall to the left lowering and find a chaingun, four boxes of bullets and three medikits behind. (sector 83)
Inherited from the PC version: a cacodemon (Thing 118) has no flags set for any of the three difficulty classes, so does not actually appear in the level. The two player starts (Things 0 and 5) have no flags set either, but because of special handling in the engine, they function normally in the level.
Comparison of versions
Numerous changes exist in the level compared to the PC version.
- All the staircases in the level have fewer steps, except the staircase leading to the exit room.
- The blood river in the southern area of the level has fewer sides.
- The southern area of the level has a platform with megaarmor. Three brightly-lit sectors surrounding the armor were removed in the console version.
- The water-filled area in the southern area of the level has been shrunk, reducing the number of columns and powerups inside it.
- The water-filled area has been displaced to the east forming some sort of corridor between the southern area and the water-filled area, most likely with the purpose of reducing the geometry visible at once.
- The four alcoves in the large marble pillar in the northern area of the level contain cacodemons on Ultra-Violence skill level. In the PC version of this level, the alcoves contain barons of Hell at this skill level.
- The spiderdemon and barons at the end of the level are replaced with Hell knights. They must all be killed to reveal the exit.
- The sky floor used to exit the level is replaced with a rapidly-flashing teleport pad.
- A hidden chamber with an exit switch is added to the final room of the level. This is presumably intended for multiplayer games, as the chamber can only be opened from the inside.
Areas / screenshots
The map uses the following music tracks:
|Sony PlayStation||"Digitized Pain"||Aubrey Hodges||See PlayStation Doom music.|
|Sega Saturn||"Digitized Pain"||Aubrey Hodges||See Saturn Doom music.|
This level contains four spawn points:
- facing west. (thing 166)
- facing south. (thing 167)
- facing east. (thing 168)
- facing west. (thing 169)