MAP29: Fire Walk With Me (Alien Vendetta)
|Alien Vendetta maps 21-30|
Carefully traverse the thin path at the start, then follow the cavern. A section of the wall will lower along the way revealing monsters and a super shotgun. Continue until you reach a large rocky exterior area. The fortress' door requires a yellow key, so grab the plasma gun in the cave right next to entrance for now. Then, find an opening in the lava leading downward. Grab the megasphere and drop down, and you will find yourself in a crescent-shaped chamber with many revenants on the inside bend. When you can, head behind the structure on the big bend of the crescent and find the switch here. Look out for a group of mancubi behind you, then go to the other end of the crescent to find an open passage and some arch-viles. Follow this passage through some monster-filled islands, then climb up to solid ground. A cyberdemon will ambush you from the left, and up on the mountains to the right where imps are, you will see the yellow skull key. Find a small opening with an arch-vile in it, and climb up until you grab the key. After grabbing it, drop down and go to the lava pool where the cyberdemon is to climb up the lava fall. Kill the lost souls and return to the rocky exterior. With the yellow key you can enter the red fortress up ahead.
Inside you will immediately be at a fork. Go left first, and you will see a large serpent with its mouth wide open. Go through it, but watch out for arch-viles who will teleport in as you enter. Traverse the innards of the serpent until you come to a big room where the red skull key will be on your left. Head to it for its pillar to lower and grab the key. Look out for the monsters in the room as you exit. Go back to the fork, where you will be greeted by arch-viles as you take the second path. Go through the arches here, and when you reach the blood, lots of chaingunners will teleport on the steps in front of you. Fend them off as much as you can, but you will be back here later, so head north through the blood river. Open the red bars here and continue. There is a supply room to the left if you need it, but when you go through the next area, monster will teleport to the open space in front of you, so be prepared for them. When they are done, examine the ruined marble blocks and find a way through the hole here. Follow this lava river, ignoring the blue bars to another open area with hanged imps and a mountain of chaingunners. Keep going down the lava river, then up the rocky staircase to some bars which you can open directly. Through the next few halls will be an assortment of monsters including a spider mastermind. Fall down to the west here and go through the bloodfall to find the blue skull key. The cage with barons of Hell will open when you pick it up though. Go through the blood river again, making your way back to the blue bars you passed earlier. Watch out for the arch-viles nearby, then open the blue bars. The double doors here will automatically open and a cyberdemon will guard a distinct portal which is the level exit.
- After opening the yellow door, go down the hall to the right. You will see a soul sphere in an unreachable opening to the left. Nearby is a misaligned section of green marble wall with skulls on it. Lower this wall to reveal a teleporter taking you to the soul sphere. (sector 288)
- At the northeast corner of the map is an outdoor area with a lava river flowing through it. There is a tiered dark gray rock "mountain" in the northwest corner of this area. Step onto the bottom tier, and make your way to the right side where there is a small "step" leading up to the second tier. On the second tier, go to the left side where there are some more steps leading up to the next tier. Continue snaking up the tiers in this way until you reach the top, where you can get some goodies. (sector 434)
- Follow the lava river in the outdoor area north, and go up through a dark gray tunnel. Near the top of the tunnel you will notice a rusty, gargoyle-faced patch of wall to your right. Open the bars ahead, then pass through the archway into the marble room with the blood pool and spider mastermind in it. At the far north and south ends of this room there are big Icon of Sin-faced pictures on the wall. You need to shoot both of these to open the aforementioned gargoyle-faced wall in the tunnel. The easiest way to do this is to stand as far from the faces and fire at them with the super shotgun (due to its large vertical spread). After shooting both faces, return to the newly-opened gargoyle wall and step through the teleporter, which takes you to another soul sphere. (sector 480)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The Compet-n records for the map are:
|UV speed||01:14||Karim El-Sheikh (Kimo Xvirus)||2009-07-14||av29-114.zip|
|NM speed||02:20||Anders Johnsen||2012-01-14||as29-220.zip|
|UV max||04:57||Tatsuya Ito (Tatsurd-cacocaco)||2012-02-08||av29-457.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on July 6, 2020.
This level contains five spawn points:
- facing north. (thing 617)
- facing north-east. (thing 618)
- facing north-east. (thing 619)
- facing south. (thing 620)
- facing west. (thing 621)