MAP30: Abandoned Front Base (Strife)
|Strife levels (01-06 & 30)|
MAP30: Abandoned Front Base is a level in Strife which replaces MAP03: Front Base after the Programmer is killed, as the Front has moved its base of operations to the Order's former castle. It uses the music track "Drone".
- 1 Overview
- 2 Walkthrough
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
There are some medical supplies and ammunition left behind during the move, which the player can scavenge if they want to be thorough. Geoff will also be guarding the entrance in the town indefinitely in spite of the base having moved. While it seems that the abandoned base exists more for atmosphere than for any major contribution to the game, the level does hide a valuable stash.
Other points of interest
While this level is entirely optional and there are no "essentials" to speak of, the Front left a number of useful items during their move. In addition to the hidden areas described below, a med patch and medical kit can be found on a table in the medical bay. If you go down to the barracks and investigate the eastern chamber, you will find a teleporter beacon stashed in a corner.
There are no official secrets in this level.
- When you visited the base previously, you may have found a secret passage that could be entered from two separate doors near the entrance stairs. There was another door in the passage that needed the silver key to open, which you now possess. Open the door to find a cell with a shadow armor and an ammo satchel. The wall in the north-east corner opens to reveal a surgery kit in multiplayer, but nothing at all in single-player.
- As you enter the western side of the aforementioned passage, a wall will lower nearby providing an access to another passage. It has a stash of items. You will find two units of phosphorous grenades, a targeter, three medical kits and 200 gold coins. At the other end, you can open the second entrance to the passage.
- The lift that leads to the barracks still has its false wall secret. There is another lift just behind the passable wall. Like in MAP03, jump to the shaft of the new lift or wait for the floor to return up to lower it again. By contrast to the previous areas, only a box of bullets can be discovered at the bottom in single-player. In multiplayer, this area also holds a medical kit, an environmental suit, a Sigil E weapon and (on Veteran skill level or higher) a surgery kit.
You can enter the two first secret areas in MAP03 as well as you are still able to return there when you get the silver key. However, area #1 is empty and area #2 only has two medical kits.
The following multiplayer things have no flags set for any of the three difficulty classes, so they do not actually appear in the level:
- two packs of electric bolts (Things 33 and 59),
- a metal armor (35),
- two crossbows (36 and 57),
- a med patch (49),
- an ammo satchel (58).
The player 1 start (Thing 0) and teleport map spot 1 (Thing 1) have no skill flags set either, but because of special handling in the engine, they function normally in the level.
Areas / screenshots
This level contains fifteen spawn points:
- facing west. (thing 7)
- facing west. (thing 8)
- facing east. (thing 17)
- facing east. (thing 18)
- facing south. (thing 19)
- facing south-east. (thing 20)
- facing east. (thing 21)
- facing west. (thing 22)
- facing east. (thing 23)
- facing north-east. (thing 24)
- facing north-west. (thing 25)
- facing north-east. (thing 26)
- facing south. (thing 71)
- facing east. (thing 78)
- facing east. (thing 145)