MAP30: Onslaught (PlayStation Final Doom)
|PlayStation Final Doom maps
|Master Levels episode
MAP30: Onslaught is the thirtieth and final level of PlayStation Final Doom, and the sixth level of the Plutonia episode. It is based on the PC version of MAP10: Onslaught from The Plutonia Experiment, with modifications to accommodate the PlayStation's framerate and memory limitations and add enhancements such as colored lighting. It uses the music track “Breath Of Corruption”.
After completing this level, the player is presented with an altered version of the ending text from The Plutonia Experiment, followed by the cast of characters.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Comparison of versions
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 References
When the level starts, kill the chaingunner behind you and take the partial invisibility. There is a fenced area to the north with the blue skull key at the end - as you approach it, alcoves will open around you containing chaingunners. When you take the key, another alcove opens behind you containing cacodemons. You can approach the key slowly and open the alcoves one at a time, or go straight towards the key and cause infighting between the enemies in this area.
Once you have the blue key, go south-west to some blue skull bars and open the door next to them. Flip the switch behind the door to lower the bars. As you pass the bars, a wall will open in front of you to reveal an imp and chaingunners, and another alcove opens behind you with cacodemons. Head south past a structure with four pillars and open the large door in the south wall, revealing a round chamber containing a cyberdemon, overlooked by ledges with chaingunners. Battle the cyberdemon or lure it into the central area, then press the switch it was guarding to descend to a sewer area. Go west to a room with three square lights, then go south into a room with a gray floor. Press the switch on the east wall.
Return to the room with three lights, go west and then north up a staircase. You will reach a tan room with computer textures - go north and up another staircase into an outdoor area. Turn round and press the switch in the south-east corner, then go east under a low ceiling to return to the central area. Go into the four-pillar structure in front of you and take the yellow skull key in the center - a number of enemies will teleport in.
Red key and exit
Go north-west and open the door between two tall red firesticks, indicated by yellow skull bars. Go south and east and take the red skull key from a plinth in front of you. Backtrack to the structure where you found the yellow key and look south - you will see a switch flanked by red skull bars. Press the switch to reveal an alcove and press the switch inside it.
Go back through the yellow door, and head west through a door which has opened. Follow the fenced area north and east, watching out for ambushes from imps and chaingunners. At the end, step into the exit teleporter to finish the game.
Other points of interest
In the computer room past the sewer area, megaarmor can be seen on top of a platform. When you climb the staircase to the south, a barrier in front of you will temporarily lower; this also lowers the platform with the megaarmor. Go south and collect the item before the platform rises again. (This is counted as a secret on PC.)
- After making it back outside once you have passed through the sewer area, there will be a sunken stairway leading down then back up to an earlier part of the level. At the lowest point of the staircase, press the use key against the left (north) wall to lower the ground on both sides of the staircase. The far end of the right (south) side, opposite the wall you pressed to lower the floor, has a hidden alcove in it containing a medikit, box of rockets and partial invisibility. (sector 147)
The back walls (linedefs 29 and 41) of the ledges in the cyberdemon area are not flagged with "Render Mid-Texture". Because of this, you are not able to see the WOOD12 texture and can see into the unused areas where the arch-viles were in the PC version.
Comparison of versions
- A blood-filled marble room on the south side of the map is removed.
- A sector in the sludge-filled hallways (secret #1 in the PC version of the level) is absent.
- All switches use a gargoyle face on metal wall texture (SW1GARG).
- A door is added in front of the cyberdemon's chamber (probably to surprise players or to preserve more framerate).
- The platform holding the megaarmor in the south-west of the level is not classed as a secret.
- The brightly-lit trench just west of the red skull key is removed.
- The plinth holding the red skull key uses STARTAN textures instead of lights.
- Two energy cells in an alcove near the exit teleporter are replaced with a megasphere. This item is redundant in single-player as this is the final level of the game.
- The cyberdemon is present in single-player and on all skill levels. On PC, it only appears in multiplayer and only on Hurt Me Plenty and Ultra Violence.
- Arch-viles are removed without replacement.
- Shotgun guys, demons and spectres are replaced with imps.
- Mancubi, arachnotrons and pain elementals are replaced with cacodemons.
- Four cacodemons are revealed on taking the blue skull key instead of five on UV. Three cacodemons appear instead of four on HMP.
- The four revenants that appear in front of you after passing through the blue skull bars are replaced with two chaingunners and one imp on UV, or one chaingunner and one imp on HMP. One chaingunner replaces two revenants on I am a Wimp/Not Too Rough (IAAW/NTR).
- The baron of Hell at the back of the cyberdemon's chamber is replaced with a chaingunner.
- The Hell knights in the sewer area are replaced with imps, except for one in the southern-most room which is replaced with a cacodemon.
- Of the six revenants that teleport into the central area after taking the yellow skull key, two are replaced with imps and the rest are removed without replacement.
- The three Hell knights encountered past the red door are replaced with one imp and one chaingunner on HMP and UV. One knight is replaced with one chaingunner on IAAW/NTR.
- The baron encountered near the exit teleporter is replaced with an imp.
Areas / screenshots
This level contains eight spawn points:
- facing north. (thing 135)
- facing east. (thing 136)
- facing north-west. (thing 138)
- facing east. (thing 139)
- facing north. (thing 140)
- facing west. (thing 142)
- facing north. (thing 144)
- facing south-west. (thing 145)
Inspiration and development
This level is encountered before The Death Domain on PC.