MAP30: The Gateway of Hell (The Plutonia Experiment)
|Plutonia maps 21-30|
- 1 Overview
- 2 Walkthrough
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Speedrunning
- 5 Deathmatch
- 6 Statistics
- 7 Trivia
- 8 External links
A separate deathmatch area exists outside the main map.
Pick up all the goodies in the starting room and jump down the bloodfall. The bloody floor is not damaging, so feel free to walk on it. Pick up the BFG9000 on a platform in the middle of the room. Go towards the opening in the wall.
You will be teleported to an area with pillars and arch-viles in them. Go straight forward and the wall in front of you will lower revealing some lost souls. The Gatekeeper is covered and protected by a cyberdemon, which you need to kill.
Drop into the circular pit in front of the cyberdemon. Use the switch on the right. Then use the switch to the left which will lower the pillar in the middle of the circle. Wait until the pillar is nearly at the top and fire a rocket into the brain of the now unguarded Gatekeeper. Fire at least three rockets at the brain, just like in Doom II. The monsters around you may be ignored for the most part.
Other points of interest
If any of the spawn shooter cubes spawn a monster at the player's coordinates, the player will be killed by means of a telefrag. This will happen even if the player is invincible by means of cheats or powerups.
There are no official secrets in this level.
- Just like in Doom II MAP30: Icon of Sin, you can use the idclip cheat code to enter the boss brain area, though it does not count as a secret.
- Similarly to the "secret" above, you can use the idclip cheat code and look around. After a while, you should find several dark rooms, all containing a weapon of some sort.
The two first cases apply to the Icon of Sin and are thus true in any level that has one.
- If the player remains in the level for a long period of time after being detected by the monster spawner without killing any monsters, the level will fill up with monsters. If many monsters populate the level, it can cause a possible crash due to the nature of the Gatekeeper that endlessly fires its spawn shooter cubes that turn into monsters when reaching any given surface. The possible crash occurs when the number of living monsters exceed the limitations.
- Savegames have specific problems in the level. If the player saves a game after having woken up the final boss, quits the program and then returns to load the savegame, a Venetian blind crash will occur. A detailed explanation can be read here.
- In the deathmatch area, in the lowest part of the automap in the area with the stairs, it is possible to get stuck behind one of the corpses.
- Some items are in the deathmatch area of the map, that cannot be accessed without the idclip cheat: all five berserk packs and one of the three megaspheres. So it is not possible to obtain 100% of the items. Some weapons are affected too, see the table below.
Areas / screenshots
The pillar from where the player can make his triumphant attack, before the cyberdemon that guards the Gatekeeper.
As this level does not contain official secrets, the NM 100S category is redundant.
Routes and tricks
Current Compet-n records
The Compet-n records for the map are:
|UV max||00:59||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2007-03-03||pl30-059.zip|
|UV -fast||00:47||Jean-Charles Dorne (JCD)||2014-08-05||pf30-047.zip|
|UV -respawn||00:58||Casey Alvis (Altima Mantoid)||2003-08-04||pr30-058.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on July 6, 2020.
Current DSDA records
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
|UV speed||0:14.97||Aleksey Kamenev (4shockblast)||2022-11-11||pl30-014.zip|
|UV -fast||0:41.74||Aleksey Kamenev (4shockblast)||2017-07-22||realfast.zip|
|UV -respawn||0:58.37||Casey Alvis (Altima Mantoid)||2003-08-04||pr30-058.zip|
|UV Tyson||1:22:56.29||Aleksey Kamenev (4shockblast)||2022-11-16||pl30t12256.zip|
|NoMo||0:15.23||Aleksey Kamenev (4shockblast)||2022-11-15||pl30o1523.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on November 22, 2022.
This level includes its own, separate deathmatch arena.
This arena contains eight spawn points:
- facing south. (thing 209)
- facing west. (thing 210)
- facing north. (thing 211)
- facing north-west. (thing 212)
- facing south. (thing 213)
- facing north. (thing 214)
- facing west. (thing 247)
- facing east. (thing 248)
- This is one of the three levels of Plutonia that contains the same number of monsters and objects regardless of the selected skill level, with the exception of an extra multiplayer-only cube shooter on UV and NM skill levels, as well as 19 additional spawn targets. The other levels are MAP21 and MAP32.