MAP31: Entryway (PlayStation Doom)
|Console level navigator|
MAP31: Entryway is the thirty-first level of PlayStation and Sega Saturn versions of Doom, and the first level of the Doom II episode. It is based on the original MAP01: Entryway with modifications made to adapt to the consoles' limitations. The author of the original map is Sandy Petersen.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Comparison of versions
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Music
- 5 Deathmatch
- 6 Statistics
- 7 Technical information
- 8 Inspiration and development
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Navigation
Drop down from the starting ledge to the staircase. Enter the corridor and turn right, then turn right again. The corridor leads into a room where the exit is located. Open the door in the northeast corner and push the skull switch behind it.
Other points of interest
If you want a chainsaw, do not walk off the starting ledge immediately. Instead, turn left to see a small windowed room and take the chainsaw.
- In the central corridor there is a single door. Behind this door is a room with a structure containing four former humans and two switches. Flip the switch that is closest to the entrance. This will open an alcove at the north east containing two stimpacks and a suit of armor. (sector 50)
- Go to the southeast room where the exit door is found and lower the lift accessible via switch. Once it rises, push the wall in front of you to reveal another switch (and some imps if they are here). (sector 7) Flipping it will unlock outside area, which is secret#3.
- As said above, the outside area is unlocked. Go to the southeast of the exit room and turn south. You will notice an opening to the outside. Go there and take shotgun and shells and destroy imps. (sector 30)
- In the south east of the exit room, a rock wall (to the south of the imp cage) can be opened. Behind it is a single stimpack. (sector 20)
- Lower the switch-accessible lift in the southeast room and step onto it. When it rises, jump onto the square platform (to cross its western side). Now, head into the room full of health bonuses to discover a rocket launcher.
Comparison of versions
In the outside areas, a grey brick that was not used in the original version of the level is applied to nearly every wall of the aforementioned areas.
Cosmetic and geometry differences
The chainsaw room is no longer open to the sky but has a ceiling. In addition, it features transparent windows exclusive to these versions rather than having a cage.
The northern room, with the structure in the center, has been shrunk vertically. The green metal walls now feature blue triangles in the same manner as the corridor located before.
In the penultimate room before the exit, the lit sectors around the two square platforms have been removed and the platforms themselves have blue lights. The raised floor section in the middle of the room has a simpler shape and the step in front of the window is smaller.
The switch to open secret #3 is not lit (to not give an impression whether it was already flipped) but still functions like normal.
The outdoor area for secret #3 has a slightly different shape and the outermost section has been shrunk.
The original version of this map had a minor issue with secret #4: instead of having adjacent floor texture the openable wall had the wrong one. This was fixed in the current release to feature only one flat.
The rocket launcher room is not counted as secret when the player triggers it. This can be due to the sector thought to be the secret has been applied another sector type which is responsible for the slow light oscillating (only a single type can be applied to a sector, at least in vanilla). It is unknown whether it is intentional or a design bug.
Areas / screenshots
The map uses the following music tracks:
|Sony PlayStation||"Retribution Dawns"||Aubrey Hodges||See PlayStation Doom music.|
|Sega Saturn||"A Calm Panic Rises"||Aubrey Hodges||See Saturn Doom music.|
This level contains four spawn points:
- facing east. (thing 57)
- facing north. (thing 58)
- facing north. (thing 59)
- facing north. (thing 60)