MAP31: Entryway (PlayStation Doom)
|Console level navigator|
MAP31: Entryway is the thirty-first level of PlayStation and Sega Saturn versions of Doom, and the first level of the Doom II episode. It is based on the original MAP01: Entryway with modifications made to adapt to the consoles' limitations. The author of the original map is Sandy Petersen.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Comparison of versions
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Music
- 5 Deathmatch
- 6 Statistics
- 7 Technical information
- 8 Inspiration and development
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Navigation
Drop down from the starting ledge to the staircase. Enter the corridor where go to the right and turn to the right again. You will be followed into a room where the exit is located. Open the door in the northeast and push the skull switch behind it.
Other points of interest
If you want chainsaw do not jump off the ledge so early. Instead, head left to the windowed room and take it.
- In the central corridor there is a single door. Behind this door is a room with a structure having four former humans and two switches. Flip the switch that is put closer to the entrance. This will open an alcove at the north east containing two stimpacks and an armor. (sector 50)
- Go to the southeast room where the exit door is found and lower the lift accessible via switch. Once you will be lifted up, push the wall in front of you to reveal another switch (and some imps if they are here). (sector 7) Flipping it will unlock outside area, which is secret#3.
- As said above, the outside area is unlocked. Go to the southeast of the exit room and turn south. You will notice an opening to the outside. Go there and take shotgun and shells and destroy imps. (sector 30)
- In the south east of the exit room, a rock wall (to the south of the imp cage) can be open. Behind is a single stimpack. (sector 20)
- Use the switch-accessible lift in the southeast room. When you will be lifted, jump onto the square platform (to cross its western side). Now, head into the room full of health bonuses to discover a rocket launcher.
Comparison of versions
In the outside areas, a grey brick that was not used in the original version of the level is applied to nearly every wall of the aforementioned areas.
Cosmetic and geometry differences
The chainsaw room is no longer open to the sky but has a ceiling. In addition, it features transparent windows exclusive to these versions rather than having a cage.
The northern room, with the structure in the center, is more detailed in console versions: the green metal walls now feature blue triangles in the same manner as the corridor located before.
The switch to open the outside shotgun secret is not lit (to not make an imprint of this was already flipped) but still functions as normal.
The original version of this map had a little issue with secret #4: instead of having adjacent floor texture the openable wall had the wrong one. This was fixed in the current release to feature only one flat.
Rocket launcher room is not counted as secret when the player triggers it. This can be due to the sector thought to be the secret has been applied another sector type which is responsible for the slow light oscillating (only a single type can be applied to a sector, at least in vanilla). It is unknown whether it is intentional or a design bug.
Areas / screenshots
The map uses the following music tracks:
|Sony PlayStation||"Retribution Dawns"||Aubrey Hodges||See PlayStation Doom music.|
|Sega Saturn||"A Calm Panic Rises"||Aubrey Hodges||See Saturn Doom music.|
This level contains four spawn points:
- facing east. (thing 57)
- facing north. (thing 58)
- facing north. (thing 59)
- facing north. (thing 60)