MAP31: Great Balls of Fire (Icarus: Alien Vanguard)
|Icarus secret maps|
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
Take any of the teleporters at the start. When you arrive, just open the door that is to the east. You will see a teleporter at the end of ledge. Do not go in it, instead, jump to the water below on the right and you will find the red skull key in the corner there. After picking it up, go around the light brown rocks until you find a switch. Flip this switch to lower one of the rocky walkways as a lift, then head northwest into the opening before it rises. In the marble hall, there are mancubi and revenants, and after killing them, lower the wall to the east to find the normal exit teleporter.
Other points of interest
- After teleporting from the map start you are in a large hall. Run up the western stairway and look to the north to find that one of the sconces is missing a torch. Lower the back wall to find a nukage pool, surrounded by a walkway (sector 66) where some useful items rest on: a plasma gun, a bulk cell, a backpack, a soul sphere and an armor: a green one on hard or a blue one on easy and medium skills.
- After entering the red rock cavern east of the large hall mentioned in secret #1, look to the north to see a gray pillar. Drop from the brick walkway beside this pillar and ascend the stairway to its northeast. At the apex (sector 79) you can acquire two boxes of shells, a bulk cell and a megasphere.
- Secret exit: Standing in front of the regular map exit, teleport back and pass the door. In this marble room, head to the northwestern corner and look to the southwest to find a section of wall with horizontal lines carved in it. Open it to find a switch that you trigger and return to the brick walkway at the red rock cavern's entrance. Look to the north to find that the gray pillar southwest of official secret #2 has opened to reveal a lava pool; enter it to be taken to another simulation gate. Enter it and you will find yourself in another exit hall with a simulation portal marked "RESTRICTED" and "TOP SECRET". Open the barrier and step into the portal to go to the super secret level, MAP32: Prestidigitation.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map on the Doomed Speed Demos Archive are:
|UV speed (normal exit)||00:18||Alexander Nikulin||2007-09-02||ic31-018.zip|
|UV speed (secret exit)||00:50||Ilya Lazarev (joe-ilya)||2013-09-16||ic31-050.zip|
|NM speed (normal exit)||00:20||Graham Burgess (Grazza)||2004-01-20||ic31np20.zip|
|NM speed (secret exit)||00:57||Graham Burgess (Grazza)||2004-01-20||ic31sn57.zip|
|UV pacifist||00:18||Alexander Nikulin||2007-09-02||ic31-018.zip|
|UV speed 15-31||00:36||Graham Burgess (Grazza)||2004-01-20||ic31x036.zip||1|
|UV max TAS||02:22||Andy Olivera||2000-01-25||icuvlmps.zip|
|HMP speed nomo||01:57||TeamTNT||1996-04-17||icarhelp.zip||Walkthrough demo; uses normal exit.|
|UV stroller||00:38||Graham Burgess (Grazza)||2005-01-02||strlpack.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on April 3, 2015.
Inspiration and development
- When the level's title is shown on the intermission screen, Jim Lowell's name is not presented in all caps. This is the only level in Icarus for which this occurs.
- The map's name "Great Balls of Fire" may be a reference to the Jerry Lee Lewis song of the same name.