MAP31: Wolfenstein (Doom II)
|Doom II secret maps|
MAP31: Wolfenstein is the first secret map of Doom II and can be accessed via MAP15: Industrial Zone. It was designed by Sandy Petersen and uses the music track "Evil Incarnate". From this map, the player can choose between accessing the second secret map (MAP32: Grosse) or returning to "normal" Doom II gameplay (by exiting to MAP16: Suburbs).
As the secret levels are based on levels from Wolfenstein 3D (specifically, Floors 1 and 9 of "Escape from Wolfenstein"), the layout is fairly straightforward. From the start, go through the door ahead of you. Turn left and go through the door at the end of this hall (A). Continue through one last blue hallway and you'll arrive in a large grey room (B). Go through the door across from you once again. Proceed through the wooden hallway and through the door at its end. In the large wooden room, turn left, head through the door, around the bend in the next hall, and through another door. From the stone room, continue due south through another trio of doors (C). You will now come to an intersection; go left again.
Other points of interest
For those familiar with Floor 1 of the shareware version of Wolfenstein 3D, each brown-uniformed guard that appears in the "I am Death Incarnate" skill level are replaced by SS guards (1 in "I'm to young to die"/"Hey, not too rough", 2 in "Hurt me plenty" and 4 in "Ultra-violence"/"Nightmare") and the dogs are replaced by demons. In addition, the hallways appear larger and the guards smaller than in Wolfenstein 3D.
- At the east end of the map is a blue, T-shaped hallway. Take the door at the south end of this hall into a room with several alcoves in the walls. The back wall of the southeastern-most alcove opens, revealing a decidedly non-Wolfenstein secret area (sector 21) containing a BFG9000, a megasphere, a super shotgun, and several backpacks (E).
- In the room with the (regular) exit elevator, instead of flipping the exit switch, open the southwestern corner of the room to reveal a secret area with a medikit (F). (sector 77)
- Secret exit: Open the western wall in secret 2 to reveal the secret exit elevator. It will take you to MAP32: Grosse, the second and last secret map of Doom II. (sector 76)
- Before hitting the secret exit switch, open the southern wall of this last area to reveal a soul sphere (G). (sector 74)
These are a pair of hidden areas present in the original Wolfenstein game that do not count towards Doom's secret tally:
- In the first wooden hallway, the back wall of the western alcove opens.
- The painting of Hitler in the stone room in the northwest corner of the map opens.
Five large brown trees (Things 245, 246, 247, 248 and 249) in the square room in the west, with 247 and 248 placed on top of eachother, have no flags set for any of the three difficulty classes, so they do not actually appear in the level.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The Compet-N records for the map are:
|UV speed (normal exit)||00:29||Looper||2011-02-07||lv31-029.zip|
|UV speed (secret exit)||00:32||Marijo Sedlić (Sedlo)||2002-11-16||lv31s032.zip|
|NM speed (normal exit)||00:32||Jonathan Rimmer||2000-04-23||nm31-032.zip|
|NM speed (secret exit)||00:34||Jakub Mahdal (Avenger)||2000-04-21||nm31s034.zip|
|UV max||02:18||Henning Skogstø||1999-02-12||lv31-218.zip|
|UV -fast||02:20||Henning Skogstø||2002-03-01||fa31-220.zip|
|UV -respawn||02:22||Radek Pecka||2002-02-28||re31-222.zip|
|UV Tyson||03:21||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2006-02-26||ty31-321.zip|
|UV pacifist (normal exit)||00:29||Looper||2011-02-07||lv31-029.zip|
|UV pacifist (secret exit)||00:32||Marijo Sedlić (Sedlo)||2002-11-16||lv31s032.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on October 21, 2012.
- This level was going to have horizontally sliding doors like the original Wolf3D. The code is still present but commented out.
- The music in this map is from Spear of Destiny (level 21, the Angel of Death), the prequel to Wolfenstein 3D.
- While the secret in the southeast corner of the map is not in the original Wolfenstein 3D map, there is a secret in the same location in the Super Nintendo version of Wolfenstein 3D.
- The 128x128 wall textures are taken from the Atari Jaguar port of Wolfenstein 3D (the same graphics were later used in the 3DO and Mac versions of Wolfenstein 3D), where they were used in the same dimensions of the original Wolfenstein 3D game. The only texture to display a significant difference is the red brick with a swastika. The wall RW35_1 used in regular levels in Doom II is also ripped (and slightly redrawn) from the Atari Jaguar port of Wolfenstein 3D.
In the German version of Doom II, this level was entirely removed.
In the version included with Doom 3: BFG Edition, all Wolfenstein SS have been replaced with simple zombiemen. In addition, the map is renamed to MAP31: IDKFA, the music track used is Doom, and the Nazi iconography has been removed from the textures. However, the latter two changes have been made by modifying the resources instead of modifying the map. This has been known to cause multiplayer network game synchronization issues with the original Doom II when playing this level. A patch to uncensor the BFG Edition version is available at this ZDoom forums thread.