MAP32: Caribbean (TNT: Evilution)
|TNT: Evilution secret maps|
Flip the switch in front of you to lower the floor you are on and begin the level.
You start on a walkway in front of a wooden structure. Go to the left, peer through the window and kill the enemies inside. Move to the north side of the structure, where you will find a door. Enter it and open the door in the southeast corner. Collect the super shotgun, but be wary of the trap opened near the door.
Exit the structure, go across the bridge and enter the larger building ahead of you. Be wary of chaingunners on both sides of the entrance. Turn right through a doorway, turn left after a circular "pillar" proceed up a staircase and follow the path to a large room with a sun-shaped pattern on the floor, with a soul sphere on a pedestal.
When you enter this room, the door will shut behind you. Move to the eastern end of this room, which has a skull switch. press it, and the eastern wall of the room will lower to reveal a substantial ambush of former humans, as well as two chaingunners (Hurt me plenty and above) on elevated ledges. When you fire a shot, a teleport ambush will also be triggered, and a number of shotgun guys will teleport to where the soul sphere is. Handle this large battle as best as you can.
When all the enemies are dead, move to the other side of the switch that you previously pressed. There will be another skull switch. Pressing this lowers part of each alcove that the chaingunners were on. Ride this part of the alcove like a lift to the top, and press the switch at the top of each alcove - the north alcove switch unlocks the room you are in, the south alcove switch unlocks the blue key area.
Retrace your steps to the circular "pillar", being wary of a trap that opens just after the first corner you turn. At the bottom of the stairs, notice that the circular structure has opened, and some revenants are waiting. Enter the structure, and collect the blue key.
Yellow key (note that the yellow key is completely unnecessary, since there are no doors or switches that require a yellow key)
Go clockwise around the circular "pillar", and notice a dark stone hallway leading west. Follow the hallway to its end and turn right. You should notice the yellow key and a plasma rifle ahead of you in an alcove. This is a descending floor trap, and the next room is filled with barrels and a baron of Hell (on Hurt me plenty and lower), or an arch-vile (on Ultra-Violence and higher) in a room with little cover. To safely navigate this trap:
- Walk towards the alcove, past where the wall makes a 90 degree bend, but no further.
- The floor with the yellow key should now sink.
- Detonate the barrels from above.
- Eliminate any surviving monsters.
- Drop in and collect the yellow key.
Proceed to the north end of the room. Flip the switch and ride the lift back up to the surface.
Completing the bridge
Drop into the water ahead, and move to the east side of the map. There will be a small "shack" with a blue key switch next to it. Flip the switch outside the shack to open the shack, and then flip the switch inside the shack to raise the missing part of the bridge. However, this will set off a large teleport trap, and up to two revenants will teleport into the shack. Kill the enemies and proceed back to dry land using the steps south of the shack.
As you cross the bridge, two traps will open - one in front of you, with mancubi, and another behind you, with revenants. Dispose of them as necessary, and do not be afraid to drop into the water for space to move about and handle them. Once you are done, get back to dry land and cross the bridge to the next part of the level.
Enter the door ahead, and drop into the eastern sludge pool. Beyond the door ahead is a maze of passageways, with a series of switches to use to open up the area and eventually open access to the red key room in the western sludge pool. Proceed as follows:
- You start facing a fork in the path.
- Go north (left), and take the second right turn. Follow the passageway to its end to a brighter room. Flip the switch in the northwest corner.
- Proceed back to the fork, and this time take the southern path. At the end, notice that a new room has opened in the south. Enter it.
- As you enter the room, the door locks behind you. Proceed northwest towards the room's back.
- The room's back will open, and a baron of Hell and a demon will be revealed. Immediately turn around, as this is a teleport trap: once the monsters cross the doorway of the trap room, they will teleport behind you.
- Flip the switch in the trap room to unlock the door.
- Proceed back to the fork. Notice a wall near the entrance to the maze has opened, revealing a new room filled with enemies. Dispose of them, and flip the switch on the north wall. This unlocks the red key room.
Exit the maze and cross over to the western sludge pit. Find the new doorway in the northwest corner and go through it. Follow the path above the slime to its end, and flip the switch on the east wall of the platform. This opens a new alcove on the east wall with the red key. Grab the key, leave the structure and return to the exterior walkway.
Follow the walkway around to the north side of the structure, and notice a new area in the distance. Run across the water to this new area, and find two tunnels in the back. Follow them around to a switch in the back, and flip the switch. Exit the tunnels and head back outside.
This will reveal a large amount of monsters, including a spiderdemon (on Hey, not too rough and below) or a cyberdemon (on Hurt me plenty and above). Cause monster infighting to weaken the respective boss monster, and finish it off when it is weakened.
Before proceeding to solve the final puzzle, note a demon-faced panel in the northeast of the exit area. It is a fake wall, and behind it resides a mancubus (on Hey, not too rough and below) or an arch-vile (on Hurt me plenty and above). Remember to defeat this monster before proceeding.
The exit area is time locked, and accessing it requires speed. It is highly recommended that you turn on "always run", if possible, before attempting the puzzle.
Proceed back outside, and notice two teleporters have appeared in a sunken pit, along with a switch. To reach the exit chamber:
- Flip the switch near the red teleporter.
- Go through the white teleporter.
- You will be teleported to a ledge. Flip the switch in a niche on your left.
- Run off the platform and through the exit door.
Another way to complete this puzzle:
- Go through the white teleporter.
- Flip the switch on the ledge.
- Immediately return to the pit through a similar white teleporter on the ledge.
- In the pit, quickly flip the switch and run through the red teleporter.
- Run through the exit door.
Flip the switch in the exit chamber to end the level.
- Inside the central building of the first area (upstairs), there is a large square room with a vaguely sun-shaped skylight and a soul sphere in the center. Surrounding this room is a narrower hallway. At the west end of the hallway is a wooden wall with a pair of vertical designs carved into it. Open the wall between the designs to reveal a small secret alcove containing a set of shotgun shells, a rocket, two medikits and a backpack. (sector 139)
- After getting the yellow skull key in the "sewer" area inside the main building, return to the room where you found the blue skull key. A large area to the east has opened up, letting you get a combat armor vest. Approaching the armor causes another nearby room to open, this one containing an ambush and a switch. Flip the switch, then return outside. Head to the area north of the central building. There are two small "shacks" in the far east and west ends of the water. The eastern one requires the blue skull key to open, but the western one was opened by the switch you just pressed. Inside is a secret cache which includes a BFG. (sector 182)
- After crossing over the bridge raised using the blue skull key, an alcove will open back on the opposite side in the wall of the central building. (sector 141)
- Once inside the large central building, go past chaingunners' cages and turn left. There will be a corridor with a medikit (not on easy skills) and a rocket box sitting at the end. As you make your way to these supplies, a section of wall behind you will lower, releasing a baron of Hell (a Hell knight on easy skills). This wall lowers only once, therefore quickly run past the baron into the marble alcove he emerged from and grab a soul sphere inside. Press the demon-faced alcove wall to lower yourself and get out. It may be advisable to use a BFG shot to kill the baron quickly, allowing you to take the soul sphere safely.
- Leaving the aforementioned alcove, go east past the entry hallway with the chaingunners' cages. In the next room, turn right and look at the southwest corner that is lightened by a flickering lamp. Push the corner to open a secret cache containing a backpack.
- At the very end of the map, you must enter a green-stoned den to activate a skull switch that releases the cyberdemon and his comrades. One of the walls inside the den (the one where a revenant comes from) is a fake, it hides a small room containing a megasphere.
- If you enter the water behind the door blocked by red skull bars (that are lowered by a switch that doesn't require a red key), without having lowered the sky wall first (by running over a trigger in front of the red skull key), you will become stuck and unable to progress any further or get back onto the walkway surrounding the structure.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The Compet-n records for the map are:
|UV speed||01:56||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2003-03-16||ev32-156.zip|
|NM speed||04:03||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2002-09-08||tn32-403.zip|
|UV max||04:33||Radek Pecka||2004-08-19||ev32-433.zip|
|NM100S||05:11||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2002-09-08||es32-511.zip|
|UV -fast||06:27||Chris Ratcliff (Ryback)||2001-10-29||ef32-627.zip|
|UV -respawn||05:22||Chris Ratcliff (Ryback)||2001-10-29||er32-522.zip|
|UV pacifist||03:42||Drew DeVore (stx-Vile)||2003-04-26||ep32-342.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on July 5, 2020.
This level contains eight spawn points:
- facing north. (thing 414)
- facing north. (thing 415)
- facing north. (thing 416)
- facing north. (thing 417)
- facing north. (thing 418)
- facing north. (thing 419)
- facing north. (thing 420)
- facing north. (thing 421)
The appearance of the northernmost part of the map "out of nowhere" is accomplished using a "skywall". Sector 22 is a long, thin sector stretching across the northern body of water. Its ceiling has been lowered to the floor, with ceiling texture F_SKY1 and floor texture FWATER4. Thanks to the sky hack, its sides are rendered as sky. Thus, before the player acquires the red key, there only appears to be open water in the north of the map.
However, when the player acquires the red key from its alcove (which is necessary to open the red door in the north and gain access to the northernmost part of the map), he will cross linedef 1237, with action 109 (W1 Door Open Stay Fast). When crossed, this line triggers sector 22's ceiling to rise up to 4 units below the neighbouring ceilings, revealing the area in the north. Again, the sky hack makes any remaining parts of sector 22 invisible. Considering that the red key alcove is rather far from the red door, the player will never see the "skywall" in the brief moment that it is moving.
- At the end of the text screen preceding this level, it is said that the player can hear "the stomp of a cyberdemon's iron shoe". This creates a rather humorous end to the level if played on the "I'm Too Young to Die" and "Hey, Not Too Rough" difficulty levels as a spider mastermind is encountered at the end instead of a cyberdemon.