MAP32: Grosse (Doom II)
|Doom II secret maps|
Go through the door in front of you to enter a large room with pillars and candles, as well as Wolfenstein SS Nazis on Hurt Me Plenty, Ultra-Violence, and Nightmare! skill levels. Travel to the opposite side of this room. Once you get close to the door, a cyberdemon will open the door and attack. Once you have destroyed the cyberdemon (or escaped from him), enter the room it was in and go through the door on the opposite side. Kill all four hanging Commander Keens and the panel behind them will raise, revealing the exit switch. Jump across the gap with the sky floor and hit the switch to exit.
- The southwestern pillar in the main room opens, revealing three chainguns. (sector 8)
- The southeastern pillar in the main room opens, revealing a megasphere. (sector 9)
- The northwestern pillar in the main room opens, revealing a BFG9000. (sector 2)
- The northeastern pillar in the main room opens, revealing a super shotgun and two boxes of shells . (sector 1)
- The center swastika on the western wall of the main area opens, revealing a cache of medikits, plasma cells and a plasma rifle. (sector 7)
- The center swastika on the eastern wall of the main area opens, revealing an invulnerability artifact. (sector 5)
This map cannot normally be finished when using the -nomonsters parameter because the hanged Commander Keens are missing. See Kill percentage flag used for -nomonsters and respawning for more details.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The Compet-N records for the map are:
|UV speed||00:11||Adam Hegyi||2002-04-10||lv32-011.zip|
|NM speed||00:11||Adam Hegyi||2002-04-10||nm32-011.zip|
|UV max||00:35||Adam Hegyi||2000-10-14||lv32-035.zip|
|NM100S||00:24||Karim El-Sheikh (Kimo Xvirus)||2011-11-24||ns32-024.zip|
|UV -fast||00:35||Adam Hegyi||1999-07-06||fa32-035.zip|
|UV -respawn||00:34||Adam Hegyi||1999-07-15||re32-034.zip|
|UV Tyson||01:08||Laszlo Vecsei (Waldon)||2000-11-19||ty32-108.zip|
|UV pacifist||00:23||Radek Pecka||2001-10-23||pa32-023.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on October 21, 2012.
For a Compet-N contest held in February 2001, a mirrored upside-down version of Grosse called Essorg was created. "Essorg" is "Grosse" written backwards.
- This level is based on the ninth and final level of episode one (shareware) of Wolfenstein 3D. The level name "Grosse" is a reference to the boss character Hans Grosse who first appeared in that level.
- This level was going to have horizontally sliding doors like its original counterpart. The code is still present but commented out.
In the German version of Doom II, this level was entirely removed.
In the version included with Doom 3: BFG Edition, all Wolfenstein SS have been replaced with simple zombiemen. In addition, the map is renamed to MAP32: Keen, the music track used is Doom, and the Nazi iconography has been removed from the textures. However, the latter two changes have been made by modifying the resources instead of modifying the map. This has been know to cause multiplayer network game synchronization issues with the original Doom II when playing this level. A patch to uncensor the BFG Edition version is available at this ZDoom forums thread.