MAP32: In the Thick of It (Simplicity)
Pathway To Hell
MAP32: In the Thick of It is the secret map of Simplicity. It was designed by Melissa McGee (Agent Spork) and uses the music track "Suck This", originally created by Lee Jackson for Rise of the Triad. The par time defined in MAPINFO is 3:00.
This level is themed after Rise of the Triad and includes weapons, enemies and objects from that game.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Statistics
- 5 Technical information
- 6 Inspiration and development
- 7 Trivia
- 8 See also
- 9 Sources
- 10 External links
Walk forward to collect a dual pistol then turn right and go round the corner to confront some low guards and a lightning guard. Open the doors behind to find a large gray structure protected by several more guards, then go to the north side to find a second door (you can step on the nearby bounce pad to reach the overhead score pickups if you want them). Open the second door and blow up the barrels to kill the guards waiting in the chamber, then open any of the three doors ahead before going on to another, wider door. Open this door and kill the two lightning guards waiting on either side, then head round the dark-gray brick wall in front of you to find two more lightning guards next to another door.
Open this door then follow the path east and north past some more guards until you get to some fences, then proceed west to another door protected by a lightning guard as well as a high guard. Open the door then continue west past several more guards to a small archway with blue triangle signs on either side, then go through this archway to finish the level.
Other points of interest
The gray structure at the south end of the map is surrounded by floating platforms - climb them to find a low guard protecting a bazooka. You can also climb the floating platforms in the north-west corner of this area to find an armor.
From the gray structure, go through the east door and time your run past some spinning blades and moving walls to find a firebomb. Taking the weapon will open two compartments behind you with score pickups as well as low and lightning guards.
- In the starting area, get towards the first door and step on the glowing dark spot to move the north wall. You can find a bazooka and two stimpacks here. (sector 9)
- In the southernmost area, enter the north tunnel of the middle structure and step on the glowing dark spot to move the walls in the north-east corner. Both are separate secrets and have score pickups. (sector 159)
- See secret #2. (sector 161)
- In the central area of the map, go to the dark wall at the north-east corner and push it to find an area with nine score pickups. (sector 136)
- Take the north door in the central area and enter the first alcove with the glowing dark spot to move a wall. This wall is in the central area, on the left side of the central structure. Enter it to get a firewall. (sector 54)
- Enter the second alcove past the glowing dark spot mentioned above and use the bounce pad to jump over the fence to get a bazooka and score pickups. (sector 147)
- In the winding hall at the north end of the map, when you get to a bounce pad, face south and run while stepping on the bounce pad. You should bounce up to a higher level. Press the wall to move it and jump down to get score pickups. (sector 141)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
The (absence of) data was last verified in its entirety on January 16, 2022.