MAP32: Mutare (Community Chest 4)
|Community Chest 4 secret|
& bonus maps
MAP32: Mutare is the super secret level of Community Chest 4. It was designed by Jeffrey Nordin, who also composed its music track, "Jerub Baal." Completing this level takes the player to MAP16: The Forgotten Base.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
Other points of interest
- When you pick up the shotgun in the southern part of the map, you open up several closets in your vicinity. In one of the northeastern closets that has a demon inside, press on the back wall that is differently textured to reveal a medikit and a passage up. (sector 243)
- The switch you saw near the beginning can be accessed from Secret #1. Flip the switch in the area here to lower the walls, then return to the shotgun room. Just south of the shotgun, press on the differently textured wall to reveal a megasphere. (sector 239)
- From the shotgun room, follow the path up the steps and serpentine around until you lower a brown wall. In the next area, press on the brown wall to the right for a switch. (sector 39) The switch raises some barriers in the next room.
- In the area with the rising square steps, there are two lifts on the far sides. Take the left one up, and then enter the nearby corridor and flip the switch to lower into a small hall with a partial invisibility at the end. One part of this hallway is dark and blinking. Press the northern wall in this area to lower the whole wall revealing lots of monsters and a few supplies. (sector 383)
- Now take the right lift up, entering the corridor and moving all the way through. Flip the switch, then go down the corridor until you find a backpack and a box of ammo. (sector 84)
- When you flip the switch mentioned in Secret #5, the walls next to your left will lower. Go through them until you reach a door. Open it, and in the next room, press the northern wall to lower it. Then, take the radiation suit as you drop into the blood with several monsters and supplies. (sector 1367) It is also possible to access this right after getting Secret #1. In the room after Secret #1, you can climb the marble floors up to the room and then press the northern wall to reach the secret from that end.
- When you are back in the western part of the map near the chaingun room after coming from the north central part of the map, go southward, flipping switches until you come to a room with neat, brown floor tiles and a gargoyle switch on the wall. Shoot this switch to open it, then press on the wooden column to lower a health bonus, as well as bars leading to a soul sphere to the east. (sector 589)
- In the far southwestern part of the map, flip the switch in the southeast part of the room to open the way back to the shotgun room. Manuever back up the stairs and flip the switch to lower walls back into the serpentining hallway. Enter the first closet you see that opens, and walls will lower so you can pick up a blue skull key. (sector 406)
- After flipping the switch in the southwestern part of the map and returning to the shotgun room, head up the stairs you see and flip the next switch to lower the walls in front. There is a large door and a lift here; take the lift, and look towards it's south side. Part of the wall is blue, so while the lift rises, hug the wall and you will obtain a computer area map in a small cove. (sector 1150)
- After getting Secret #8, go back to Secret #4 if you have not already and flip the switch there. This lowers a wall north and there should be a door with blue borders here. Open it with the blue key for lots of ammo, a backpack and a switch. (sector 854) The switch crushes the arch-viles you see to the sides.
Two stimpacks (Things 2349 and 2350) and three energy cell packs (2626, 2627 and 2628) have no flags set for any of the three difficulty classes, so they do not actually appear in the level. The same goes for a multiplayer-only 4 shotgun shells (thing 2357) and a multiplayer-only box of shotgun shells (2578). Lastly, 8 deathmatch starts (163 through 167 and 2667 through 2669) have no flags set either, but because of special handling in the engine, they function normally in the level.
Areas / screenshots
The records for this map at the Doomed Speed Demos Archive are:
This information was last verified in its entirety on January 23, 2018.