MAP32: Sanctuary (Strife)
|Strife levels (32-34)|
Turn right and press the button on the south wall to open the door, then step through the green doorway which will set off the alarm. Turn right and take the medical kit and electric bolts here, then press the button to ride the lift upwards. Kill the acolyte (or two on Elite or Bloodbath skill levels) and head south through the door. Keep following the passage past a green force field (the offering chalice that Harris wants is behind it) and then a set of bars, taking the crossbow and other supplies before climbing a staircase. Kill another acolyte here, take the items and press the button to lower the bars you passed earlier.
Go back down the stairs and head north through the now-open doorway. Go down the steps here and press the button ahead, which will raise a bridge over the water ahead of you. Retrace your steps to the door near the start of the level and cross the bridge you raised. Follow the path to a wooden door and go through it, then press the button to lower the lift on your right. Ride this lift up and follow the passage (passing a locked wooden door) until you find another door. Go through and kill the red acolyte in the next room, and take the silver key he drops. Collect the supplies in this room before leaving.
Return to the forcefield you passed earlier. Opposite it is a locked door that requires the silver key; open it and throw the switch to lower the force field. Go through the field and collect the chalice, then return to the level entrance to go back to town.
Other points of interest
Shortly before finding the silver key, you pass a locked door which requires that key. It leads to a cell containing a prisoner, who will tell you that Harris framed him for a crime. This is an explicit hint that Harris is untrustworthy.
Major differences from the final version of the Sanctuary include:
- The switch to disable the force field blocking access to the offering chalice is in a small locked alcove just across from the chalice chamber. In the final version, this alcove is removed entirely and the switch has been moved to the room around the corner from Beldin. The red acolyte in said room drops the key for the alcove in this version, whereas there is nothing special about him in the final version.
- In place of Beldin is a generic prisoner using the beggar sprite. Like Beldin, this character's dialogue alerts the player to the fact that Harris should not be trusted, though it is more explicit in this. Whereas Beldin only states he is in there "thanks to that bastard Harris," the prisoner claims he was framed by Harris for a crime.
There are no official secrets on this level.
Areas / screenshots
This level contains twelve spawn points:
- facing east. (thing 58)
- facing east. (thing 59)
- facing north. (thing 60)
- facing east. (thing 61)
- facing south. (thing 110)
- facing south. (thing 111)
- facing west. (thing 112)
- facing south. (thing 113)
- facing west. (thing 114)
- facing south. (thing 115)
- facing north. (thing 116)
- facing west. (thing 117)