MAP32: Spider Bowl (The Abyss)
|The Abyss secret maps|
MAP32: Spider Bowl is the second secret level of The Abyss. It was designed by J.M.P van Waveren (MrElusive). This level consists of a large, labyrinthine cylinder, complete with spiral staircases and a spiderdemon/arachnotron arena in the middle.
Make your way up the spiral, taking as little damage as possible. Hit the switch to lower the teleporter to the exit.
Once inside, revenants will be the primary threat. Thankfully, the stairs are narrow enough to cancel out most of their homing missiles. Make your way to the center, and prepare to fight a few arachnotrons, or a spiderdemon on higher skill levels.
- A megaarmor is hidden on the right side of the stair spiral, marked by a darkened arrow on the floor. (sector 149)
- At the start, a rocket launcher sits on a tall pillar behind the player. Use the long side of the pillar to lower it.
- A BFG9000 can be made accessible by shooting a gargoyle switch, visible from the first stair exiting the bowl. However, the player must walk back down the stairs to obtain it.
- A switch used to exit the bowl is unmarked. It is located on the east side of the bowl.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doomed Speed Demos Archive are:
This information was last verified in its entirety on January 15, 2018.
Inspiration and development
- The map was built from the "Spider Bowl" outwards, although the bowl itself was added later.
- In coop, there are two spiderdemons in the bowl, which arguably makes this section easier.