MAP33: Town (Strife)
|Strife levels (32-34)|
MAP33: Town is a level in Strife. It uses the music track "Tavern". It is an earlier version of MAP02: Town which was originally featured in the demo version of the game. In the original commercial release of Strife, this level cannot be successfully completed due to missing resources. In the 2014 re-release of Strife: Veteran Edition, it is completable and can be selected as an episode from the main menu when beginning a game.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
Other points of interest
There are no official secrets on this level.
Major differences from the final version of the town include:
- Harris appears in the place of Rowan, and accepting his mission to steal the chalice is not optional. After talking to Harris at his first location, he "moves" to the tavern. In actuality, there are two Harris actors, and the door simply closes to prevent talking to the first one again.
- Completing Harris's quest leads to a similar fate of being locked in the governor's office with a flood of acolytes. Killing Harris instead still reveals his stash in the tavern, but different items are contained, including a com unit which puts the player in contact with BlackBird.
- All locked doors expect different keys, and many doors and switches are locked that are not in the final version, due to different progression.
- The torture chamber in the governor's mansion contains a flamethrower weapon which is deathmatch-only in the final version of the map, and is protected by an alarm sensor. Entering this area causes a group of crusaders to be released, which must all be killed to open the door behind the weapons shop.
- A small warehouse full of crates is in place of Irale's shop, and contains a teleporter to the Movement base.
- Exits do not exist to any maps that are not in the demo version of the game. Lines are present which instead state "This area is only available in the retail version of Strife." The areas that would be behind those exits have not yet been built out.
- The town hall has not been bombed. Its doors and windows are intact. While it can be accessed near the end of the map, there is no completed passageway to the Movement base.
Due to missing log and voice resources, this map cannot be completed in the original retail version of the game. The game will bomb out with a W_GetNumForName error message during the initial dialogue with Harris.
Voice and log numbers on comm unit linedefs were not updated and conflict with voices and logs used by the registered version's levels, leading to non-sensical statements by BlackBird.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
* The item is placed as a shop prop and is not meant to be taken by the player.