MAP34: The Focus (PlayStation Doom)
|Console level navigator|
MAP34: The Focus is the thirty-fourth level of the PlayStation and Sega Saturn versions of Doom, and the fourth level of the Doom II episode. It is based on the original MAP04: The Focus, with modifications made to adapt the map to the consoles' limitations. The author of the original map is American McGee.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Comparison of versions
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Music
- 5 Deathmatch
- 6 Statistics
- 7 Technical information
- 8 Inspiration and development
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Navigation
Go through the door in front of you at the start of the level. In the next hall, go straight forward, head up the short staircase and press the switch in the room at the top. This lowers the blue keycard visible through one of the windows. Go back down the stairs, turn right and go through the door. To the left is the locked blue door, so continue right along the path until you reach the blue keycard. Once it is collected, head back the way you came. On your way back, you will be ambushed by a group of imps from a newly opened closet. Head back to the blue door by continuing to follow the path.
On the other side of the blue door, turn round and press the switch next to the door to turn on the lights in the corridor. Make your way to the end of the hall and through the next door. In the next room, stand on the small box in the corner near the door, which causes a crate in the middle of the room to lower and then rise again. Ride it back up to get the red keycard. From here it is quickest to turn left and drop off the crate into secret #3, as the teleporter here will send you back to the room with the switch that lowered the blue key.
Back in the starting hallway, go through the two red doors and walk along the walkway to get the yellow keycard. Be prepared, as you will be ambushed by several chaingunners when you pick up the key. Drop down to the left side of the walkway you are on and follow the tunnel to a teleporter, and step into it. When you reach the other side, turn left and flip the switch on the wall to raise the exit walkway. Go through the teleporter to your left to be teleported back onto the raised walkway. Go through the now-accessible yellow door to the exit switch.
- At the far end of the first "L"-shaped hallway is a wall with blue triangles on it. Open this wall to access the areas behind the shutter windows. (sector 20) You can loot shotguns from the slain shotgun guys here, and the rooms also contain armor bonuses and a medikit.
- Just before the platform where the blue keycard is found is an area with a seemingly inescapable pool of sludge. In fact, there is a misaligned texture on the northern wall of the pit that can be opened to get out. Inside is a super shotgun and a box of shells. (sector 73)
- From the crate the red keycard is resting on, drop down to the east. (sector 6) There is a secret teleport that takes you to an area earlier in the level. This area also contains a BFG9000 in multiplayer.
Comparison of versions
- All switches use a red/green light on metal wall texture (named SW1MET2 on PC).
- The "entrance door" is removed from the starting room.
- The 128-unit wide crate textures in the red keycard room were replaced with 64-unit wide textures. Due to inattentive replacement, this causes a couple of crates to have mismatched textures on different sides.
- The spectre in the sludge pool on Hurt Me Plenty and Ultra Violence skill levels is replaced with a nightmare spectre, appearing on all skill levels.
- The demon guarding the exit switch is replaced with a spectre.
Areas / screenshots
The map uses the following music tracks:
|Sony PlayStation||"Beyond Fear"||Aubrey Hodges||See PlayStation Doom music.|
|Sega Saturn||"Beyond Fear"||Aubrey Hodges||See Saturn Doom music.|
This level contains five spawn points:
- facing south. (thing 23)
- facing east. (thing 24)
- facing north. (thing 25)
- facing south. (thing 26)
- facing south. (thing 33)